Black Mass

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No thread for this that I could find, but this trailer is freaking terrific IMO. Edit this to comply with whatever format is preferred for this section of the board :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
great trailer, even if that scene kinda ripped off the "What am I a clown?" scene from Goodfellas.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
As a whole, I didn't love this movie. I (and most others) knew how it ended and it kindof plodded along and was really slow HOWEVER,,, Johnny Depp was freaking unbelievable and should be a shoe in at awards season. He was absolutely awesome in every scene IMO.

So mediocre movie, just didn't care for the pace, but outstanding performances by pretty much everyone.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a whole, I didn't love this movie. I (and most others) knew how it ended and it kindof plodded along and was really slow HOWEVER,,, Johnny Depp was freaking unbelievable and should be a shoe in at awards season. He was absolutely awesome in every scene IMO.

So mediocre movie, just didn't care for the pace, but outstanding performances by pretty much everyone.

yeah... I was pretty bored. And even though Depp was good, I didn't think they gave him much to do character wise... and his story seemed to take a backseat in the end to Connely's.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
yeah... I was pretty bored. And even though Depp was good, I didn't think they gave him much to do character wise... and his story seemed to take a backseat in the end to Connely's.

Watched a documentary the other day and that was kindof in the same theme of focusing on Connely. Its interesting that to this day Whitey swears on his mothers grave that he was never an informant for the FBI and that Connely was attributing all his "tips" from other sources to Bulger.

In a way, it really is all mostly Connely's fault. Whitey and his gang committed the crimes, but Connely enabled the crap out of them.

Its an interesting story, I dont know why it came out as such a boring movie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched a documentary the other day and that was kindof in the same theme of focusing on Connely. Its interesting that to this day Whitey swears on his mothers grave that he was never an informant for the FBI and that Connely was attributing all his "tips" from other sources to Bulger.

In a way, it really is all mostly Connely's fault. Whitey and his gang committed the crimes, but Connely enabled the crap out of them.

Its an interesting story, I dont know why it came out as such a boring movie.

I had a sense of dread from the very first scene that it was going to be a slog. there was no pace, there was seemingly very little escalation in the story and it just laid... limp. it wasn't even a rise and fall type story. it was just... there. a collection of scenes, only a couple of which (the goodfellas-like scene at the dinner table with the FBI and then Bulger/Connely's wife) really brought anything new or interesting to the table.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I had a sense of dread from the very first scene that it was going to be a slog. there was no pace, there was seemingly very little escalation in the story and it just laid... limp. it wasn't even a rise and fall type story. it was just... there. a collection of scenes, only a couple of which (the goodfellas-like scene at the dinner table with the FBI and then Bulger/Connely's wife) really brought anything new or interesting to the table.

Yeah the rant about the nuts was pretty funny lol. Totally agree about everything else. I did think that the scene between Depp and Dakotah Johnson in the hospital was pretty decent, but like you said, there were brief moments of interest but overall bleh...

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black Mass

Release Date: September 18, 2015
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: Scott Cooper
MPAA Rating: R (for brutal violence, language throughout,some sexual references and brief drug use)
Screenwriters: Mark Mallouk, Jez Butterworth
Genre: Drama, Crime

Starring: Johnny Depp, Joel Edgerton, Benedict Cumberbatch, Rory Cochrane, Jesse Plemons, Kevin Bacon, W. Earl Brown, David Harbour, Dakota Johnson, Julianne Nicholson, Corey Stoll, Peter Sarsgaard, Adam Scott, Juno Temple

Plot Summary: In 1970s South Boston, FBI Agent John Connolly (Joel Edgerton) persuades Irish mobster James “Whitey” Bulger (Johnny Depp) to collaborate with the FBI and eliminate a common enemy: the Italian mob. The drama tells the true story of this unholy alliance, which spiraled out of control, allowing Whitey to evade law enforcement, consolidate power, and become one of the most ruthless and powerful gangsters in Boston history.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Black Mass

Release Date: September 18, 2015
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: Scott Cooper
MPAA Rating: R (for brutal violence, language throughout,some sexual references and brief drug use)
Screenwriters: Mark Mallouk, Jez Butterworth
Genre: Drama, Crime

Starring: Johnny Depp, Joel Edgerton, Benedict Cumberbatch, Rory Cochrane, Jesse Plemons, Kevin Bacon, W. Earl Brown, David Harbour, Dakota Johnson, Julianne Nicholson, Corey Stoll, Peter Sarsgaard, Adam Scott, Juno Temple

Plot Summary: In 1970s South Boston, FBI Agent John Connolly (Joel Edgerton) persuades Irish mobster James “Whitey” Bulger (Johnny Depp) to collaborate with the FBI and eliminate a common enemy: the Italian mob. The drama tells the true story of this unholy alliance, which spiraled out of control, allowing Whitey to evade law enforcement, consolidate power, and become one of the most ruthless and powerful gangsters in Boston history.

You must be registered for see images attach

You're slackin old man! :mulli:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It was good. Didn't hate it, didn't love it. Willing to hold it and go to the bathroom at the end. Depp was really good, but the narrative just plodded on. C+, B-, so 79% is pretty much on the nose.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will see this tomorrow. I'm thinking I am going to really like it.

Edit.... It was a fun day today, so we elected to the The Martian, instead. We'll catch Black Mass in a week or two.... ;)

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Yeah, Depp was incredible. Movie could have been better, but I love gangster films set in the 70s, so I really enjoyed it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA