Bills Preview and Then Some

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
---The Bills---

The Bills are not a team to be taken lightly. Listening to a little Doug, and Wolf, I hope the Cardinals are not looking at this game like the those two are.

Yeah, the Bills are dead last in the league in defense. Yeah. Great. Going against our offense, that is not much of an advantage. I think it is safe to assume, Mario Williams, and Marcell Darius, have heard enough about their lack of production and will be gunning for this much maligned Cardinals offensive line. Both of the Cardinals RB's are hurt, not to mention Anthony Sherman is banged up.

What it comes down to, no surprise, is our defense. Schofield, Groves, and Dockett are all hurt. Not the best way to start off a week against a Buffalo offensive line that has 3 out of their 5 starters hurt or out. We cannot let Buffalo get confident, and get in a rhythm. They have good running backs, and regardless of what people say, I think Ryan Fitzpatrick is a good QB. Who here is going to argue about what happens to a QB with no offensive line? Just get on Fitzpatrick quick and early. Make him force throws, and create turnovers.

Yeah, easy to type up the how to, and the gameplans to use against a team. It is another thing to carry them out.

What it comes down to is for the Cardinals offense to be patient and balanced. For our special teams to find there stride, especially PP7 who is due, and our defense has to start realizing its depth is good for a solid NFL defense. When our starters are in ? The Cardinals have an elite defense. When the backups have to come in, it is still a very very good defense, but no doubt the elite goes away. The Cardinals cannot lean on their defense like they obviously did in St. Louis.

Ladies and gentlemen, look at the two games that our defense played in which people say they played "bad". Miami were say what you want, there is no disputing the turnovers they created won that game. St. Louis we held the the Rams to under 300 yards, and under 20 pts. This defense is elite when healthy and very very good when banged up. They can't win the game by themselves. They need to offense to move the ball a little, and special teams to win against the opposition. Defense is NOT the problem.

But the point is the offense cannot lean on them as they have. Punting is OK. I am good with punting, and Zasturdil has been good. But, three and outs are not acceptable. We have to move the ball a little. We have to win the field position battle. Were last week we didn't just lose the field position battle we got our doors blown off.

As the defense showed last week. They can dominate but that doesn't mean they are never going to let another team score ever again. Two plays beat us in St. Louis. A one-handed bomb where if our CB just turn around the ball would have landed in his hands. And a play action, that after getting run on effectively by the Rams, our secondary bit, and let a easy TD go by. It happens. This is the NFL. Even the worst team has talent, and the ability to score.

Yet, in the defense's defense. There were at least 2 opportunities for our offense to easily score at least 2 TD's. You can't miss Fitz wide open in the endzone in the 1st half, and at some point a Cardinals QB has to hit our TE when open for a TD down the seam. That is relying on the defense too much. Just way too much.

I will tell you this. Our big guys better come to play. The story of the day will be our offensive line versus the Bills defensive line. Whose line is going to answer the critics that are saying, to put it bluntly, you suck.

On defense? We SHOULD dominate the Bills offensive line. But, again. As of right now, Dockett, and Groves are out, and Schofield is banged up. Who knows, maybe Jamaal Westerman comes out and gets 5 sacks, but what it comes down to is the defense has to show up, play hard against a desparate team and create some turnovers.

---Then Some---

There will be 10 days between the last game played, and the game against the Bills.

The official injury report reads like this:

DNP - Michael Adams
DNP - Quentin Groves
DNP - Greg Toler
DNP - Reggie Walker <-- last I heard this is a head injury.
Limited - Darnell Dockett <-- who is a different play mentally this year, IMO.
Limited - O'Brien Schofield

For a team that is lacking a "natural" pass rush in the 1st place this is not good. Dockett in my opinion has become a key asset for this team. I don't know what it is, so I can't really defend it, but mentally he seems more grounded. For the 1st time he looks, and acts like a leader. He has played very well for the Cardinals, and my goodness, when healthy has he been quick off the ball. Toler was again, showing promise at CB, and if there is a weak spot in the defense it is at CB right now. Not to mention Schofield, and Groves are both pass rushers. As for Walker, his play has spoken for itself.

On offense. Ugh, just ugh. The offensive line that has terrified the dreams of many Cardinals fans since........................................the end of 2008 ? Well, lets just look at the injuries.

Injuried Reserve:
Ryan Williams, RB
Chris Wells, RB* <-- Designated for Return, Nov. 25th
Levi Brown, OT
Jeremy Bridges, OT
Richard Bartel, QB
Javarris James, RB <-- Would he be nice to have right now?
Korey Hall, FB

Injury Report for this week:
DBP - Anthony Sherman, FB
Limited - Jim Dray, TE
Limited - Todd Heap, TE
Full Practice - LaRod Stephens-Howling <-- B.S. this guy is banged up.
Full Practice - William Powell <-- Was said to have gotten his "bell rung"
Full Practice - Adam Snyder <-- We all know his elbow injury is not going away
Full Practice - John Skelton <-- I don't think Double Deuce can do any better than what Kolb has done. But, we are going to need Skelton, Kolb is a Batiste brain fart away from an injury. Five running backs either on IR, or banged up.

This team is banged up. That is the way things happen in the NFL. But, the Cardinals are not getting carpet bombed, they are getting hit hard in a few positions. Sherman, Dray, and Heap are half of our FB/TE unit which is a good unit when healthy. Are we really going to disregard the importance of players who can block when it comes to this offense? Two starting OT's gone for the year, and a bad pass blocking guard when healthy with a cronic elbow injury.

It still like Batiste, and Massie for what they are. A rookie, and a NFL backup. I think both should be signed and brought in next year. Yeah, yeah complain all you want but the NFL has a vacuum of talent on all team concerning the offensive line. If a guy can play at the position, even marginally then you gotta keep them around. See keeping Nate Potter on the 53 man roster, and giving Levi Brown a big extension (OK. Fair enough. I understand now why the Caridnals did that. Not because Brown was so good, but that the rest of the league's OT's have regressed that badly).

Now with saying that ? My goodness our line is bad right now. Not only at OT, but I cannot stand watching our interior line any longer. Snyder, Colledge and Sendlein are getting BLOWN UP! Ok. Now after making that statement I will take a step back and again, compared to the rest of the NFL, Colledge and Sendlein are fine. Snyder ? Oh boy. If only we could magically find a LT, and put Levi Brown here. Why? I know, I know. Very debatable, and people who say this are opening themselves up for criticism. My reason ? We need SOMEONE to get a push on the interior of the line. Anyone.

So the point is, as it stands the Cardinals have some injury issues. It takes an elite defense and makes them very good. It takes a bad offense and makes them non-exhistant. Like under 300 yards per game, and can't score TD when given the ball inside the redzone bad. Like injuring 5 runnings backs, and 2 QB's before the first 6 games of the season bad.

So, onto the Bills game we go. A must win. You question me?

OK. We play the Bills, we are favorites, everyone is picking us to win, and the Bills are being embarrassed in the papers. A desparate NFL team will come into AZ on Sunday. Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Ryan Fitzpatick, CJ Spiller, Mario Williams, and Jarius Byrd. There is enough there, to beat the Cardinals if they don't match the Bills desparation and energy.

Then what ?

In the five weeks that follow the easiest opponent we have will be the Green Bay Packers. The Vikings who are REALLY good, and match up to the Cardinals in a way that I don't know how we are going to score points, or stop Adrian Peterson. The Niners on Monday night, then the Packers in Green Bay, a bye week, and the Falcons in Atlanta.

Uh, yeah. Maybe a healthy Cardinals team would give me some confidence against that part of the schedule, but WHEW BOY. I dunno. Don't get me wrong the Cardinals, when they play "perfect" can beat these teams. When the defense plays like it does vs. Philly, they can beat any team no doubt. But that is a lot of pressure, and a very very very fine line.

It is not crazy to say we could be 5-5 and by November 25th will be looking at playing the Rams at home. Which is not a gimme by any means.

Then to end the season:
The Jets in NY
The Seahawks in Seattle
The Lions, the Bears, and the Niners to end the year.

Things have to improve health wise. Things have to improve on offense, and the defense has to keep things status quo for us to be looking at 8-8.

And that is NOT doom and gloom. 8-8 for this team with this offense against this schedule of teams will be quite an accomplishment. I would be very proud, and have been very proud of the Cardinals so far this year. I mean who would have though the easiest division we would play this year would be the AFC East ? Our own division is stacked and we pay 6 games against teams in our division. The NFC north is NO JOKE. Bear, Packers, Vikings, and the Lions are the worst team ? That is a good division as well. And our two "extra" games are versus Philly and Atlanta ?

Ladies and gentlemen, before we talk about what the expectations are for the Cardinals lets realize they are playing top of the line football teams this year. The biggest, most important thing the Cardinals are doing, and what I expect for them to continue doing is being competitive.

Again, I have been very proud of this team so far. The resolve, and the mentality that is now part of this team is far, far, far away from the gutless, mail it in teams from the early 2000's. Take a minute, and look at the current roster (the link is in my signature). Our core players are locked up for next season, and beyond. There is no free agent to be going into next year to worry about ala Calais Campbell. This team is lined up to success. We fired some scouts, made changes, and locked up the talent we have hear............................. what a minute what the hell did I just type.

"locked up the talent we have hear" <--- Yeah. That IS cool. Who here saw us re-signing Daryl Washington ? I sure didn't

So, let's go Cardinals fans. Vent when you gotta vent, cheer when you have to cheer and lets support this team. They have a hard road ahead, and if they keep competing I will keep cheering.

Go Cards.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, before we talk about what the expectations are for the Cardinals lets realize they are playing top of the line football teams this year. The biggest, most important thing the Cardinals are doing, and what I expect for them to continue doing is being competitive.

My usual expectations for the Cards are that other team's fans will be listing Arizona as a top line football team they have to play. Nothing less. But sometimes you have to temper those high standards due to circumstances and with the injuries we no longer fit the bill.

Oh well, Wait'll next year!

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I hope they have as much trouble staying on the road for the week as we did against KC in the preseason.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Great write-up, Rugby. Some really good stuff.

I'm concerned not so much about the defense--Buffalo hasn't responded to teams putting 8 or 9 guys close to the LOS and begging Ryan Fitzpatrick to beat them over the top. In that way, they're not unlike Arizona. I think this could be an opportunity for the defense to score some points on their own.

The offense I'm really concerned about. We only need to average 20 points a game to make a run at this thing, and we scored 3 points in absolutely brutal conditions against St. Louis. I think last night and the Thursday Night Football experience in general has shown that it's really difficult for the road team to win on the short week. I think that the home team is like 30-10 in Thursday night games. But with no running game to speak of, can the offense protect the defense by getting 2-4 first downs per drive and scoring TDs every so often? I'm not convinced, but I'll learn more on Sunday.

seesred

Reaction score
That was a well thought out report. Thanks! My biggest concern this year is our injury situation. To many key guys are out. There is no doubt in my mind that if Davis doesn't go down, we would be better on the o-line. Who would have thought that his injury might be the key to the season?

I think as proud as I am about the over all play of Kolb, Skelton might be putting up more points as his accuracy deep is better. With no running game we are destined this year to be out played by the teams coming up. I will support my team with all I got and we will win some of those games but it's going to have to be near perfect for us.

As you said controlling field position is key to every teams ability to win. 3 and outs will never get you where you need to go to control positioning on the field. IMO the coach has got to have two TE sets with a back in every situation, so that we can move the ball and attain 1st downs. As for the Bills ,this is a game we should win at home!

GBR

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
lock up talent hear? ROFL

Edit: Uh....duh on me! Sorry, SB. See post later on in thread.

Really?

Calais Campbell, and Daryl Washington are not talented ?

I dunno. That is a tough statement to back up, IMO.

Furthermore, most of the team is signed for this year, and the next. I think I can stand by my statement of talent locked up.

The Niners did it last year, to this year, and it worked out pretty well for them.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really?

Calais Campbell, and Daryl Washington are not talented ?

I dunno. That is a tough statement to back up, IMO.

Furthermore, most of the team is signed for this year, and the next. I think I can stand by my statement of talent locked up.

The Niners did it last year, to this year, and it worked out pretty well for them.
here.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
IMO the coach has got to have two TE sets with a back in every situation, so that we can move the ball and attain 1st downs. As for the Bills ,this is a game we should win at home!

GBR

Great point.

But, Sherman, Heap, Dray are all banged up. Leaving King, and Housler as your two tight ends.

That is tough, and Housler is not known for blocking. Thus some explanation why our coaching staff doesn't "max protect" as much as we would all like. Their "max protectors" are all banged up.

One of my bigger questions is why we hold onto Jim Dray, and not bring up Steve Skelton. We need help in blocking, and Skelton can block. He showed it in preseason. Dray has been brittle the last two seasons, I don't see where he is so valuable that Skelton can't come and replace him perminently. But, that is those "inside the walls of the facility" things we are not prevy to.

Edit: My spelling is HORRIBLE today.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Great point.

But, Sherman, Heap, Dray are all banged up. Leaving King, and Housler as your two tight ends.

That is tough, and Housler is not known for blocking. Thus some explanation why our coaching staff doesn't "max protect" as much as we would all like. Their "max protectors" are all banged up.

One of my bigger questions is why we hold onto Jim Dray, and not bring up Steve Skelton. We need help in blocking, and Skelton can block. He showed it in preseason. Dray has been brittle the last two seasons, I don't see where he is so valuable that Skelton can't come and replace him perminently. But, that is those "inside the walls of the facility" things we are not prevy to.

Edit: My spelling is HORRIBLE today.

Dray is an excellent special teams player who's shown it in the actual regular season, while Skelton hasn't proven that he can block people who aren't now selling auto and life insurance at reasonable rates.

I also disagree with the idea that you can't run max protect with the personnel who will be active on Sunday. You can't have more than 5 receivers on a play, but in Max Protect you generally still have 3 guys out in patterns (otherwise there's really no benefit unless the opposing defense rushes 8 defenders). On the first big missed pass to Housler, the Cards were running max protect, with only Fitz, Roberts, and Housler in patterns. There's no reason that you can't run Max-protect with King, Housler, WiPo/Smith, Fitz, and Roberts.

The problem is that teams aren't generally big-blitzing Kolb to get sacks--they're doing it with four or five rushers (and sometimes three). If you max-protect with 7 blockers and 3 guys in patterns and the defense is dropping 7 into coverage, there's zero chance that you're going to get a completion.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The problem is that teams aren't generally big-blitzing Kolb to get sacks--they're doing it with four or five rushers (and sometimes three). If you max-protect with 7 blockers and 3 guys in patterns and the defense is dropping 7 into coverage, there's zero chance that you're going to get a completion.

-Buffalo hasn't responded to teams putting 8 or 9 guys close to the LOS and begging Ryan Fitzpatrick to beat them over the top. In that way, they're not unlike Arizona.

Which do you think we'll see this Sunday? I'm thinking the former. I don't see any defense respecting the Cards run game for the rest of the season. On the other hand with our passing game I wouldn't be surprised to see teams bring 5 rushers believing Kolb can't beat them.

What a mess to be in. No decent RBs so no respect for the run game and suspect pass pro and QB play so no respect for the pass game. Maybe opposing DCs will be so undecided on which way to play us they'll be ineffective overall.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Dray is an excellent special teams player who's shown it in the actual regular season, while Skelton hasn't proven that he can block people who aren't now selling auto and life insurance at reasonable rates.

Fair enough.

The point is Dray is not blocking anyone right now, and hasn't been (cause he has been hurt).

Good post. Good points, tho.

Last edited:

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We could very easily lose this game badly.

the bills offense is probably the best behind the Patriots and Eagles (as far as teams weve played).

Game rests on our Oline 100%

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up bro

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Which do you think we'll see this Sunday? I'm thinking the former. I don't see any defense respecting the Cards run game for the rest of the season. On the other hand with our passing game I wouldn't be surprised to see teams bring 5 rushers believing Kolb can't beat them.

What a mess to be in. No decent RBs so no respect for the run game and suspect pass pro and QB play so no respect for the pass game. Maybe opposing DCs will be so undecided on which way to play us they'll be ineffective overall.

They're kind of different things. I think that teams have a lot of respect for Ryan Fitzpatrick's short accuracy, but they don't really fret about WRs getting behind the defense because Fitzpatrick can't hit them. It's different than loading up the LOS with run blitzes to protect against Adrian Peterson or something.

I don't know about Buffalo bringing extra pressure. They don't really have rush linebackers on the roster who can get after the passer, even from the 4-3 formation. I think they're a team that tries to play defense like Tennssee did under Fisher--rush four, drop seven, and make the quarterback pick you apart and make the running back find open space.

Kirk Morrison doesn't even start for the Bills.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
They're kind of different things. I think that teams have a lot of respect for Ryan Fitzpatrick's short accuracy, but they don't really fret about WRs getting behind the defense because Fitzpatrick can't hit them. It's different than loading up the LOS with run blitzes to protect against Adrian Peterson or something.

I don't know about Buffalo bringing extra pressure. They don't really have rush linebackers on the roster who can get after the passer, even from the 4-3 formation. I think they're a team that tries to play defense like Tennssee did under Fisher--rush four, drop seven, and make the quarterback pick you apart and make the running back find open space.

Kirk Morrison doesn't even start for the Bills.

Who is Kirk Morrison? Jim's nephew?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Linebacker who was Oakland's version of Ronnie McKinnon for four or five years. People wanted to bring him in after Dansby left.

Really? Never heard of him. Must have read those threads after a Max Hall start. :beer:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent post Rugby. I agree with all of it, especially the point about how tough of a schedule we face. I think we succumb to that schedule and personally, I see no shame in that. We aren't that far away from being an elite team. We need to address or o line and our run game and we can do that in one draft. We have a lot of other spots we could upgrade but no team is perfect.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave