OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The responses to Booker's tweet are hilarious. My favorite is "Make that 71 Points on the Celtics"

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Simmons says some seriously off the wall stuff.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I support small-minded and petty, I support Bill Simmons.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I do think being on the team would have been a benefit to Booker long term. I can understand his position too but I do think practicing and playing with more talented players would benefit his development.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The responses to Booker's tweet are hilarious. My favorite is "Make that 71 Points on the Celtics"

If he accomplished this in a W (or even close loss like MJ's 63 in OT loss in the playoffs against the Celtics Dynasty) instead of a relatively sizable loss, it would make a lot more sense to me how much people puff their chests out about it. I mean, he put up a ton of points, in a game that wasn't really close... against an okay Celtics team. I mean, we were down 23 at half, 17 going into the fourth and they played him deep into garbage time to get that number.

an impressive number of points, sure... but I don't get why any Celtics fan would really care.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he accomplished this in a W (or even close loss like MJ's 63 in OT loss in the playoffs against the Celtics Dynasty) instead of a relatively sizable loss, it would make a lot more sense to me how much people puff their chests out about it. I mean, he put up a ton of points, in a game that wasn't really close... against an okay Celtics team. I mean, we were down 23 at half, 17 going into the fourth and they played him deep into garbage time to get that number.

an impressive number of points, sure... but I don't get why any Celtics fan would really care.
I used to like Simmons when he was a writer who wrote from the perspective of a tortured fan with a pop culture spin, but as he has aged and the Boston teams have won, literally, every title, he has become insufferable and petty.

Despite still beating the Booker Suns, I have no doubt that his animosity towards Booker comes from him taking even moments flash from Boston's brilliance.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think being on the team would have been a benefit to Booker long term. I can understand his position too but I do think practicing and playing with more talented players would benefit his development.

I do too but for me, it was mostly for the coaching that he would have received. But yeah, I can understand why he opted to not play and with all the other missing stars, I think it's for the best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Simmons has complained about that 70 point game multiple times. That is why the comment was funny.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is why this story his hilarious.

Booker decides he doesn't want to go through a heavy minutes summer and instead be healthy for his actual job.

Simmons whines about it.

Simmons favorite player gets hurt.

It's frustrating that ESPN NBA reporter Nick Friedell says much the same thing.

I understand there is not much to write about this off seaon but writing negative things pertaining to Booker (FIBA or trade speculation) seems to be the popular thing to do.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From my understanding , Book never agreed to play? Why are they zeroing in on him, and not the ones who quit on them?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean what is Book supposed to do? Still relatively young, surround by trash teammates, coaches and McDouche. Not being paid superstar money, yet, but still. We have the entire Celtics roster in there, underperforming, especially those who said Tatum was untouchable/Kobe-esque. Middleton who is overpaid and overvalued as well, then there's Kemba who's an all-star. Give me a break here, criticizing a player who opted out wayy before almost anyone else opted out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From my understanding , Book never agreed to play? Why are they zeroing in on him, and not the ones who quit on them?

IMO, the Suns are an easy target. I think this is why it is happening.

They are labeled as a bad team with a bad owner. Since Booker plays for them he is fair game. Few are going to defend Booker or the Suns.

The Suns are going to have to start winning to change this stereotype.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Speaking of Simmons, Nash is on his pod today and he said that when he left Dallas and Phoenix, those teams were “done with him,” in terms of his value, and his position had been “Can’t we find a way?”

Am I misremembering the trade? I thought the Suns were accommodating Nash, but maybe they were just accommodating him after deciding not to re-sign him at his desired level. He said at the time, “I approached them and asked if they would be willing to do a sign-and-trade deal with L.A. because it is very important to me to stay near my children and family.”

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
IMO, the Suns are an easy target. I think this is why it is happening.

They are labeled as a bad team with a bad owner. Since Booker plays for them he is fair game. Few are going to defend Booker or the Suns.

The Suns are going to have to start winning to change this stereotype.
Excellent evaluation!

The good news is that, after year upon year of wallowing in the wake of Sarver's antics,
and evidently his finally being put back in his place, we have hope for the future.

Star players don't want alibis, they want results. Especially in today's NBA.

This will be a very important (turnaround) season for the Suns in more ways than one..

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I misremembering the trade? I thought the Suns were accommodating Nash, but maybe they were just accommodating him after deciding not to re-sign him at his desired level. He said at the time, “I approached them and asked if they would be willing to do a sign-and-trade deal with L.A. because it is very important to me to stay near my children and family.”

I believe so. I thought, for Nash, the writing had been on the wall for a while when he made his LA request.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Speaking of Simmons, Nash is on his pod today and he said that when he left Dallas and Phoenix, those teams were “done with him,” in terms of his value, and his position had been “Can’t we find a way?”

Nash has to be honest. He was pretty much done, period, when he left the Suns. He got around 50 games in that first year in LA, but his assists dropped by 4 a game. After that he was a non-factor altogether. The Suns were not going anywhere with Nash and the two picks they got were worth something (at the time).

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I remember Nash getting destroyed by Mike Bibby in the playoffs and thinking we made a terrible mistake by signing him. I wanted us to trade for McGrady that summer. If that had happened our two best players would’ve undergone micro-fracture surgery the same year. :eek:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns were done with Nash but he was he was able to persuade them to trade him to the Lakers so he could be near his children and get a third year on a new contract.

Below is an excellent article that explains it all.

"It stung a little bit," Nash said of the Suns' inactivity with him. "At the same time, I can't fault them. They made a strong move to cut ties and move forward and I get it. Goran (Dragic, a former Nash backup who Phoenix will give a four-year, $30 million deal) is a terrific signing. If they get (Eric) Gordon (by New Orleans not matching a four-year, $58 million offer sheet), they'd have a great backcourt for years.

"A head's up that they were moving on would've meant a lot to me. I don't have any problem with them going in a new direction. It takes guts to do it. They got younger and more talented. I'm excited for them and Suns fans that they'll be back in there."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...oo-much-pass-up-steve-nash.html#ixzz5ybRuLMCc

The part about the Suns signing Dragic to a new contract is really ironic.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Suns were done with Nash but he was he was able to persuade them to trade him to the Lakers so he could be near his children and get a third year on a new contract.

Below is an excellent article that explains it all.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...oo-much-pass-up-steve-nash.html#ixzz5ybRuLMCc

The part about the Suns signing Dragic to a new contract is really ironic.
Really? I thought the “suns fans, they’ll be back in there.” was the most ironic part.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? I thought the “suns fans, they’ll be back in there.” was the most ironic part.

This has some irony as well.

I was referring to how Dragic was supposed to replace Nash (returning for a second time to Phoenix) only to leave for Miami a few years later.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thanks all. I wanted Nash to retire a Sun, as did we all I imagine, but it would have taken a financial concession from him, probably a two year deal at most, and the right fit for passing the torch while splitting duties. The ironic thing for me is that the Suns made Goran, Bledsoe, and Thomas split duty anyway.