Bill Davis

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone mention him yet after this win. This guy has been a huge upgrade over Pendergast and was a major reason we won this game IMO. He played bump and run multiple times and sent the blitz even in pressure situations with the lead. Our tackling has been much better than I can ever remember, and he has our guys playing technically sound defense.

Normally your top CB goes down and your two safeties are hurting and the backups come in and get lit up, but our "scrubs" came in under intense pressure trying to hold on to a one touchdown lead and just did not let Eli Manning get anything when it counted.

That's good coaching for you my friends.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kept to his guns at the end of the game and kept bringing the pressure. That is where Clancy would have had us in a prevent. Got to love how he called that game.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone mention him yet after this win. This guy has been a huge upgrade over Pendergast and was a major reason we won this game IMO. He played bump and run multiple times and sent the blitz even in pressure situations with the lead. Our tackling has been much better than I can ever remember, and he has our guys playing technically sound defense.

Normally your top CB goes down and your two safeties are hurting and the backups come in and get lit up, but our "scrubs" came in under intense pressure trying to hold on to a one touchdown lead and just did not let Eli Manning get anything when it counted.

That was a terrific adjustment to what the Giants were doing initially on offense. NY saw our corners laying off and likely knew they weren't the greatest tacklers in the world and came out throwing those quick sideways passes for big gains. It didn't take long for the Cards to adjust by moving the corners up.

Great job by Davis.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Davis did a good job adjusting last night. He deserves major kudos.

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
Billy Davis is insane. I give some credit to the Coach and Organization for hiring him. I remember seeing a time in the 4th quarter when Whisenhunt was talking to Warner and other Offensive players on the sidelines while the Defense was fighting for their lives on the field. In recent games it seemed like a problem that there was no Offensive Coordinator to have those discussions. Perhaps part of the solution was trusting more to Davis to free up Whisenhunt with the Offense. I wonder if Whisenhunt even knew how crazy Davis was with his schemes. Eli could not figure it out.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the OC? Oh wait. ;)

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

:thumbup:

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have to admit, I was screaming mad when we didn't bring the house when they converted that 3rd and a mile right off their own goal line.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
Eli was more confused than I've ever seen him since the giants started getting better with him.He kept changing plays then would call Omaha as that was the signal for the next cadence to be for real and he got TWO penalties on HIMSELF not being able to see the time clock because of his worry about our blitz coming.

Thanks to players who now make our blitz something that can physically hurt you in a player named Alan Branch who is showing bigtime late returns some of us said would happen this year when others called him a bust.Not trying to take credit for anything.Just saying D-Line is hard to get for some folks in the NFL from College.

To have Robinson,Watson & Branch and CALAIS'CAMPBELL who was held more than any player in the game last night and should have drawn about 8 holding calls he never got from the mob referee,who's probably sleeping with the fishes today in the Hudson.

Then to have our Linebackers at their age play and shut the edges down like they did in Haggans,Okeafor,Berry and of course our two run stuffing monsters in Hayes and Dansby.EVERYONE stuck their head in on Jacobs and did'nt try to dodge his 270+ pounds going downhill.Dockett is still drawing holds that never come and this defensive backfield of which I could name them all is growing like no other unit on the team.Its the next unit that wants the attention the front seven are getting now.

The offensive line now that its getting help from Patrick,Becht and our newly found fullback is starting to look like it can produce enough running to give us playaction afterall before this season is out.I liked the play where we rolled Warner to his right.That was new and I liked the one trick play as Whiz has always enjoyed doing that ever since coaching slash with the steelers.He's got a lil' Bobby Bowden in him.Expect the unexpected.At least his plays work and are'nt end around plays like martz used to run over and over and they never worked even once.Thats the sign of a good offensive coordinator which Whiz is learning on the job and starting to get it down better as the season progresses.

No Whiz is'nt perfect but we are using our best people and they don't always catch a pass right in their hands but Warner is'nt fumbling when he could have last night.The giants practiced all week at stripping Warner from the ball and they never got it.The CARDINALS shut down the meadowlands with a major win.Never to be played in again.YEAH!!!

Oh yeah we got a thankyou card from Reid and McNabb this morning:D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the OC? Oh wait. ;)

:mulli:

Still don't like it. In fact, someone alluded to the fact that HCOC gave Bill more leeway to free up time for himself to do his HCOC duties.

Good game was called on both sides though, last night. No complaints this time around, and in fact we made a VERY key offensive adjustment in taking advantage of their deep safeties in the second half. Glad that adjustment was made, because we haven't been making many good offensive adjustments to date. That one was brilliant.

By far, the fact that Davis didn't take his foot off the gas despite a lead AND the secondary dropping like flies, was the biggest plus of the night. Clancy would have lost that game, no doubt in my mind. He would have put prevent out there, not trusting his backups, and the Giants would have drove. Davis kept the pressure intense, all game. It was beautiful.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.

Still don't like it. In fact, someone alluded to the fact that HCOC gave Bill more leeway to free up time for himself to do his HCOC duties.

Good game was called on both sides though, last night. No complaints this time around, and in fact we made a VERY key offensive adjustment in taking advantage of their deep safeties in the second half. Glad that adjustment was made, because we haven't been making many good offensive adjustments to date. That one was brilliant.

By far, the fact that Davis didn't take his foot off the gas despite a lead AND the secondary dropping like flies, was the biggest plus of the night. Clancy would have lost that game, no doubt in my mind. He would have put prevent out there, not trusting his backups, and the Giants would have drove. Davis kept the pressure intense, all game. It was beautiful.

Of course I agree with you Donald and I think the games we get up by 3 touchdowns later on this season with good teams,like what nawlins did yesterday in its comeback we need to see the coordinators STILL make new adjustments to what the team in the other lockeroom is gonna make adjustments too.

When you have the lead you can't just continue to do the same stuff.We have to continue to keep the other team chasing what we're doing.Thats gonna be key in some of our trap games coming up later this season.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

4-2/3-0 on the road. I think we can say that he is doing just fine up to this point in time. I could go back to last year and critique some piss poor play calling and bad clock management all through last year with Haley calling plays. Nobody is ever going to to be completely happy.

You guys as usual just need something to complain about.

:p

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Rather then anything from a scheme perspective I am most happy about the renewed commitment to mainitaining gaps and tackling. That is BY FAR the biggest difference in this defense, opposed to last year.

As for Wiz, I think he takes too much heat for his play calling. This is the second brilliant game he has called in a row and some of those calls were pure genius. He still needs to feed the rock to our rookie monster more but I think we all see that is coming too. He just wants to handle the egos involved and do it on his timeline, not everyone elses.

I respect that.

I am so proud of this team. Last night was unlike any other in my 15 year history cheering for this team.

Now lets make sure that last night wasn't the apex of the season. I am interested to see how they respond next week in a game that should be a blow out.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When you have the lead you can't just continue to do the same stuff.We have to continue to keep the other team chasing what we're doing.Thats gonna be key in some of our trap games coming up later this season.

You mean a trap game like this coming game against the Panthers?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a terrific adjustment to what the Giants were doing initially on offense. NY saw our corners laying off and likely knew they weren't the greatest tacklers in the world and came out throwing those quick sideways passes for big gains. It didn't take long for the Cards to adjust by moving the corners up.

Great job by Davis.

Yep the first 2 passes were like that and I was having nightmares of our games against the Rams when CP would have the cB's off and they'd dink and dunk all day on us.

But Davis adapted and we took it away.

I'm sure teams are going to make us pay for all the blitzing at some point but right now I like how he mixes it up. We need to get better discipline, fewer offsides, fewer personal fouls(although the Dansby one was iffy) but what I liked last night was the safeties were huge factors in the run game AND they made plays in the pass game. Both had a pick, AW dropped a picksix, both made plays when they had to.

Carolina can really run the ball but they've struggled passing, you can just imagine we're going to load the box against them so it will be a similar gameplan. Difference is Eli is much better than Delhomme. DRC's ankle could be an issue but I like our chances right now.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Great seeing Davis keep the pressure on the entire game and no prevent D at the end of the game. Davis' game plan was huge and had Eli struggling. Love to see pressure on the opposing QB and all the mistakes it causes.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I love the blitzing up the middle on passing downs. Antrel's combination of speed and power is great for that, while having A-Dub monitor the middle of the field with DRC on an island. That was shown many times this game and I loved it.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Not taking anything away from last night but was it the scheme or the players that stepped up? I mean, there were a few plays that could have gone either way that weren't scheme but, for example, DRC's AMAZING interception.

I hope it keeps working out and totally agree that Davis is an improvement over Clancy and hope the defense continues to grow and improve.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Not taking anything away from last night but was it the scheme or the players that stepped up? I mean, there were a few plays that could have gone either way that weren't scheme but, for example, DRC's AMAZING interception.

I hope it keeps working out and totally agree that Davis is an improvement over Clancy and hope the defense continues to grow and improve.

It was both. If Davis hadn't made the adjustment the Giants would have just taken the easy yards to the outside all night long. It was the players of course who then stepped up and made the tighter corner coverage work.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I give all the credit in the world to Bill Davis. That was the best coached Cardinal defense I have ever seen in 46 years of being a Cardinal fan...and it's not even close. You know when Davis came out and said after the Colts' game that his defense was going to start dominating games, it was hard not to scratch one's head on that claim. Well, Bill Davis, you talked the talk and now you are walking the walk. That was a total gem and you orchestrated it.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I give all the credit in the world to Bill Davis. That was the best coached Cardinal defense I have ever seen in 46 years of being a Cardinal fan...and it's not even close. You know when Davis came out and said after the Colts' game that his defense was going to start dominating games, it was hard not to scratch one's head on that claim. Well, Bill Davis, you talked the talk and now you are walking the walk. That was a total gem and you orchestrated it.

Mitch------you nailed that one. This WAS the best coached DEFENSE I have ever seen the Cards field. Davis did a masterful job of planning for this game, then adjusting as needed during the game. By far the most satisfying win I can ever recall.:)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Dickley and MJ were talking about a meeting that Davis had with the defense after the Colts game. He asked the defense what they wanted to do, how they wanted to do it and what they wanted to accomplish. The defense responded by saying they wanted to get after the QB and be more aggressive.
After the Seattle game, when asked what the difference was, Dansby replied that "Coach Davis is making the game fun again...".
Davis clearly listened! Can't imagine Clancy ever taking that sort of step with the team. Kudos to Davis!

You must be registered for see images

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I would consider the Dallas playoff win. Aikman was more confused and whiny then Eli was at the end of the game.

Flip a coin for me as to which was the best coached Cardinal Defense.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I would consider the Dallas playoff win. Aikman was more confused and whiny then Eli was at the end of the game.

Flip a coin for me as to which was the best coached Cardinal Defense.

Can't argue that one with you Cardiac------That one was in their house too, and was for rights to play Minny for the Conferance Championship. Both great wins. I quess this one is fresher in our minds right now, plus even after winning the Conferance chanpionship last year, no one is giviing us any respect right now.

By the way-----I don't believe Dallas has won a playoff game since they lost that one to us have they?????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose