Bill Davis (LBs Coach) - Can He Develop Young Talent?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by scandalous_b, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

Holy crap the awful logic you are demonstrating here...

:hammer:

Ronin and daves like this.
  2. Krangthebrain

Belichick failed as Cleveland's coach.

He sucks.

WisconsinCard likes this.
  3. Krangthebrain

Pete Carroll failed as the Jets interim coach and as the Patriots coach, he sucks too.

4. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

Brain fart!

Wins and losses are not and have never been a position coach stat.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Krangthebrain likes this.
  5. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Ahh ok, so him being with the Pats for 20 years and the Giants for 10 in a career spanning 44 years and he's still had less teams than Davis is a fair comparison do you think?

Yes coaches get fired. Sometimes it's not their fault. But when you average 2 years per stint and you only have 7 winning seasons in 20 something is wrong.

Now as I've said. I have no idea if he is good or not, but his history and the fact that our own LB corp was garbage last year would suggest he's not awesome.

Let's compromise and say he's not in the top half of LB coaches in the league.

6. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Sure. Show we a coach who's considered to be good by the league that has a 7/20 record. I'll wait.

Let me put it another way. There's a reason no good HC's pick him up as a position coach and he's stuck with them. There's a reason guys like Chip Kelly, Kliff, Whiz etc hired him. It's because they had nobody else to hire.

7. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

"Sure". And you know this how? I'll wait.

"Let me put it another way": An opinion supported by your brilliant deductive reasoning and delusions of adequacy.

Walter is that you?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    daves and WisconsinCard like this.
  8. scandalous_b

scandalous_b Registered

I have no idea how you were able to convince yourself that I ever said, or think, that Simmons is a bust. You just completely made that up lol.

To reiterate - I think that Simmons is an unbelievable talent, and there was no doubt that he was the right pick at #8. Freak athletes with his level of production at the college level do not come around all that often.

With all that being said, there's no doubt that he is extremely raw because he was spread so thin at Clemson - and that isn't Simmons' fault. He was an absolute baller at Clemson and was the difference maker on that defense.

Grooming Simmons into a superstar should be priority #1 of the defensive coaching staff. He should be the future of this defense. Unfortunately - they have made it clear that they do not agree with that. The fact that this coaching staff threw him into the deep end week 1, and then proceeded to bench him for the foreseeable future is absolutely disgraceful. This organization has mangled the development of top talent after top talent - and I am starting to get sick of watching it.

So by all means - feel free to continue to as members of the hoi polloi and defend every decision the organization makes. I'm sure everything will work ou perfectly.

9. scandalous_b

scandalous_b Registered

In the interest of fairness - I was obviously being sarcastic. His post deserved to get buried. It was embarrassing.

If you don't agree with my opinions, that's fine. I think we can all agree that we all don't have to see eye-to-eye on everything. But the point of this place is to have a discussion.

To suggest to me that "some meds might help" is not only offensive to those with mental health issues - but its even more offensive for how unfunny & lame it is. If you're going to attack me - at least be funny or clever. He was neither.

10. scandalous_b

scandalous_b Registered

1. The word "dope" was used because, when used in a sarcastic manner, feels extremely condescending to me. That was my goal.

2. There are not that many things more cringey to me than people who go out of their way to discuss / keep up with popular lingo. It reminds me of when corporate twitter accounts try to keep up with the trends. The worst.

3. Kids are going to do & say stupid things - but I'd rather my kids learn how to think for themselves and say whatever they want to say, given that it's harmless and not disrespectful. You shouldn't force lingo onto somebody - especially kids. That is - unless you want children that have the collective charisma of a rock.

11. scandalous_b

scandalous_b Registered

Wow that's terrific.

Hopefully at 84 you learn how to respect other people's opinions that may not align with your own. That would be a good start.

Or better yet - maybe learn to not jokingly prescribe meds to people just because they may think differently than you. Not only is it extremely offensive to anyone that actually has some sort of mental illness - but its even more offensive for how uncreative and unfunny it is. If you're gonna say something offensive - at least be funny.

Disgraceful.

12. scandalous_b

scandalous_b Registered

Obviously "no history of success" is a bit harsh & extreme - but you acting like he has this long resume with achievement after achievement is just as ridiculous.

You are also admitting that he has zero experience developing "young high picks". So what makes you think that he would be good at it? He has legit no track record for successfully developing young talented LBs (that have been highly invested in). The closest thing he has to working with young talented LBs was his time at Ohio State. Nobody is going to tell you that he did a good job there - besides maybe himself. He had a room filled with future high end NFL talent, and managed to produce at the worst statistical level in recent Ohio State history.

Fair points. A lot of good coaches bounce around. It happens.

But you know - there's a lot of bad coaches that continuously get recycled. I've seen you burying Vance Joseph repeatedly in other threads for being terrible. He has had more coaching success than your boy Billy Davis. I guarantee you he will have another job waiting for him the moment he leaves Arizona.

Again - I've never once said that Bill Davis doesn't know football or is completely unqualified to be where he is today. What I have been saying is that his track record continuously shows that he is a poor teacher. I have no doubts that he can ramble on about the philosophy of defensive schemes and whatever and show you just how smart he is and how much he knows. But unfortunately, if you can't frame it up in a way where a 22 year old with little experience not only understands it, but can also apply it on the field - then you're going to make a lousy position coach.

You're missing the point here. It's a coach's job to do whatever it takes to get the best out of his players. If Browning did in fact "stop grinding" - when do we look at the coach? If you have a child who is struggling in school, do you just dismiss him for being naturally lazy - or do you maybe look at the parents?

And it's not like it was just Browning that was underachieving during that time. The entire LB room at Ohio State was a disaster. A lot of the guys that were in that room are now productive players in the NFL. Was that whole room lazy too? And why did their production pick up drastically the year after Billy Davis was let go? Was that just a coincidence too?

13. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

Yolo

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

14. scandalous_b

scandalous_b Registered

And thank god that’s true.....

15. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

Lit