Bill Cosby: Convicted Rapist

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the actual number 13? If so, there is probably something to this. It would be one thing if it was only a few people possibly going for a cash grab but as more come out the chances of that are dwindling.

Although things are not always what they seem. I know people constantly make fun of Michael Jackson and consider him guilty because this insurance company forced a settlement but there is ZERO evidence to this day. My best friends father works for the FBI and his field office was assigned to that case. They never found one shred of evidence to corroborate those charges and there was circumstantial evidence of blackmail.

So, I am always hesitant to apply the mob mentality of being guilty in these cases but even I have to admit this doesn't look good for Cosby. It's sad because he was one of my all time favorites and the victims deserve justice.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cosby Show

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/11/the-cosby-show/382891/

The heart of the matter is this: A defender of Bill Cosby must, effectively, conjure a vast conspiracy, created to bring down one man, seemingly just out of spite. And people will do this work of conjuration, because it is hard to accept that people we love in one arena can commit great evil in another. It is hard to believe that Bill Cosby is a serial rapist because the belief doesn't just indict Cosby, it indicts us. It damns us for drawing intimate conclusions about people based on pudding-pop commercials and popular TV shows. It destroys our ability to lean on icons for our morality. And it forces us back into a world where seemingly good men do unspeakably evil things, and this is just the chaos of human history.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It is hard to believe that Bill Cosby is a serial rapist because the belief doesn't just indict Cosby, it indicts us.

That's well put. I'm very depressed about this and haven't been able to put my finger on why.

At least one of those women is telling the truth, let's put it that way.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile, in Alabama:

You must be registered for see images

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It was just a question, not an accusation. Women in most, if not all, societies are forced into a very weak position. Fear causes reactions that are known only to the victims and experts who have research on their side. Lock up/freeze and retreat is a very common reaction in fearful situations. Time and space create a safety barrier that allows a victim to deal with the reality openly. When a dozen accusers come forward eventually the safety in numbers factors in. Some construe this to indicate piling on and extortion. Go figure.

Linda and Wendy have a differing viewpoint than some of the male audience. Those are opinions that carry valued weight as females in this society.

Let me explain my viewpoint cuz we're really on the same side here. I just don't get it, and I don't mean that in a mean way. My sister had a husband that abused her, and I was a kid when it was going on, every year or so she would show up on my parents doorstep with a bloody nose and packed bags and would say she was finally leaving him, without fail she'd be back with him after a few days. It made me so angry! It made us all angry it's just so illogical to keep being with someone who is hurting you, for whatever reason. My parents literally reached the point with her where they were calling the cops themselves (because she wouldn't Cuz she didn't want to get him in trouble). and finally had to threaten to get authorities involved to get custody of her daughter and cut her off permanently if she went back again, so she finally did and has lead a happy life without him.

So I sincerely apologize if I seem crass. I don't mean to, it's just a frustrating subject for me. I just didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it now. :(. If someone is hurting you, leave them! Women are not powerless creatures with no options but to put up with abusive men like they once were....

This woman could have removed herself is really all I was trying to say. It's just frustrating.

But yes Bill Cosby sucks and it's super disappointing because he was someone I thought of fondly from childhood and I hope somehow he gets his eventually.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6 Off-the-Wall Right-Wing Moments this Week—Celebs Who Like to Lecture Rape Accusers

http://www.alternet.org/tea-party-and-right/6-wall-right-wing-moments-week-celebs-who-lecture-rape-accusers?akid=12498.47049.SKhGji&rd=1&src=newsletter1027507&t=2

1. CNN’s Don Lemon offers advice to Cosby rape accuser on how not to be raped.

CNN anchor Don Lemon scored an interview with one of the growing number of women to have come forward and accuse Bill Cosby of sexual assault this week, a woman by the name of Joan Tarshis. The interview took a turn for the worse when Lemon decided to offer his opinions of what Tarshis, who said she was drugged and incapacitated at the time, should have clearmindedly done in the situation.

"You — you know, there are ways not to perform oral sex if you didn’t want to do it." Just in case his meaning wasn't clear, he specified that he meant “the using of the teeth.” ...

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
I only lived in L.A. for a couple of years, but my experiences with Hollywood in general (I dated someone who was well-connected in the business), showed me that there's a lot of crazy stuff going on out there, and most of it doesn't even make the tabloid headlines.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only lived in L.A. for a couple of years, but my experiences with Hollywood in general (I dated someone who was well-connected in the business), showed me that there's a lot of crazy stuff going on out there, and most of it doesn't even make the tabloid headlines.

i'd go as far to say almost NONE of it makes the tabloid headlines. I've been writing TV for years and your head would spin with some of the stuff that's kept under wraps about REALLY powerful, high-profile stars.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'd go as far to say almost NONE of it makes the tabloid headlines. I've been writing TV for years and your head would spin with some of the stuff that's kept under wraps about REALLY powerful, high-profile stars.

Yep. My older brother has worked on studio sets for 35 years and he has told me some pretty interesting stories about both stars and directors. Some of which sounds bat@$^# crazy.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
This is a tough situation for me. On an intellectual level it's plainly obvious the guy is a horrible human being and serial rapist. On an emotional level I keep trying to rationalize due to a very ingrained view of the man and his work, and its place in my youth.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a facebook thread:

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill Cosby Jokes About Rape Allegations During Canada Comedy Tour

http://deadline.com/2015/01/bill-cosby-rape-joke-1201345112/

The septuagenarian stand-up joked about the mass of rape and drugging allegations against him from at least 20 women during a comedy performance in Canada, according to a report in the National Post, the prominent Canadian newspaper.

When a woman in the front row got up at Cosby’s performance in London, Ontario, Cosby asked her from the stage where she was going. She replied she was getting a drink and asked if he wanted one.

“You have to be careful about drinking around me,” Cosby replied. There was an gasp by audience members, then applause, though two men were ejected after one of them yelled out, “We don’t love you, Bill. You’re a rapist. I’m being ejected because you’re a rapist.”

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny how people are lambasting and protesting Cosby based on allegations but would line up to get a glimpse of Bill Clinton and who love him unconditionally.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me explain my viewpoint cuz we're really on the same side here. I just don't get it, and I don't mean that in a mean way. My sister had a husband that abused her, and I was a kid when it was going on, every year or so she would show up on my parents doorstep with a bloody nose and packed bags and would say she was finally leaving him, without fail she'd be back with him after a few days. It made me so angry! It made us all angry it's just so illogical to keep being with someone who is hurting you, for whatever reason. My parents literally reached the point with her where they were calling the cops themselves (because she wouldn't Cuz she didn't want to get him in trouble). and finally had to threaten to get authorities involved to get custody of her daughter and cut her off permanently if she went back again, so she finally did and has lead a happy life without him.

So I sincerely apologize if I seem crass. I don't mean to, it's just a frustrating subject for me. I just didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it now. :(. If someone is hurting you, leave them! Women are not powerless creatures with no options but to put up with abusive men like they once were....

This woman could have removed herself is really all I was trying to say. It's just frustrating.

But yes Bill Cosby sucks and it's super disappointing because he was someone I thought of fondly from childhood and I hope somehow he gets his eventually.

You don't sound crass, and I can't imagine how upsetting and frustrating it must have been for you and your family during your sister's abuse.

One thing I think you are missing, however, is that physical abuse is almost always about much, MUCH more than just the physical abuse. Men don't usually just start beating up their girlfriends and/or wives one day. It often starts slowly with verbal and emotional abuse and taking away power from the woman in the relationship. You start to feel worthless or like you don't deserve better. By the time the physical abuse starts, you are already beaten down so far that you start to believe the things he's told you, no matter how smart you are. There's a big psychological component. Plus, there is a fear factor involved as well. How will I make it alone? Where will I go? What if he comes after me?

I'll never forget the moment when I finally woke up and left my abusive relationship. He told me "you'll never get a job in PR." Now he had told me a lot of things ... I was fat, stupid, a bitch, psychotic, a loser and a ton of other terrible things ... but the one thing I knew was that I was damn good at what I did and there was no way I wouldn't get a job in PR. That's when I finally saw that he had no clue about anything.

I imagine sexual assault is somewhat similar, especially if the abuser is in a position of power.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny how people are lambasting and protesting Cosby based on allegations but would line up to get a glimpse of Bill Clinton and who love him unconditionally.

Not that I am defending someone of his stature taking advantage. However, ML has said several times her affair was completely consensual. These are instances where woman were drugged and raped.

I can see why people would see that differently.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Not that I am defending someone of his stature taking advantage. However, ML has said several times her affair was completely consensual. These are instances where woman were drugged and raped.

I can see why people would see that differently.

There was one women who accused him of rape in the 90's, there were a lot of circumstances that surrounded it that made people not believe it.

He didn't have any other rape accusations that I know of, but there was some sexual harassment issues.

The Cosby issue though is different, something like 16 women come in and tell similar stories. I think people want to come down on him because he's such a preacher about morality and family values but then is seemingly a monster in private.

We all know that Clinton was a womanizer and an adulterer though.

PS. It's more fun to come down on someone who trys to tell everyone what to do and how to act but doesn't follow it. Clinton never lectured people about how to act.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember hearing about clinton drugging and raping women. Apples to oranges there.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You are comparing Clinton's single consensual encounter with Cosby's nearly a dozen rape allegations?