Big recruit commits to the Cats

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good thing he's working on his academics because he was in danger of not being eligible to play his senior year.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From today's AZ Daily Star

http://azstarnet.com/sports/footbal...cle_34604b60-4602-5255-a85a-e7ec7fb272a5.html

Ka'Deem Carey could have strung his recruitment out for another six months, waiting for a better offer. He could have taken official visits to places like USC, Florida, Nebraska, Florida State or Miami this fall.

But he didn't. And won't.

"You can't really put a time and date on what you want to do in life," he said. "You just do it."

Carey, the Star's reigning Southern Arizona Player of the Year and the state's top running back, verbally committed to the Arizona Wildcats on Friday morning after meeting with the UA's coaches and academic advisers.

The Canyon del Oro High School star instantly becomes the face of Arizona's 2011 recruiting class.

Carey rushed for 2,738 yards and 45 touchdowns as a junior. The Rivals.com recruiting service lists the 5-foot-10-inch, 180-pound Carey as a four-star recruit and the nation's 16th-best high school running back.

Carey, 17, said he "fell in love" with the UA during an unofficial visit last weekend. He returned to campus Friday for meetings, then verbally committed.

Carey said he expects to qualify academically, though he admittedly still has some work to do. The UA's academic counselors laid out a plan for him Friday.

"They broke it down for me," he said. "I know what I have to do."

On the field, Carey - the nephew of former Cholla High School and UA star Vance Johnson - is without par in Southern Arizona.

Carey's highlight tapes are an Internet sensation. In one clip, Carey cuts across the field, hurdling a would-be tackler, on his way to a touchdown.

"It's one of those things that you can sell and make money off," CDO coach Dusty Peace said with a chuckle. "It's that entertaining to people.

"I've never seen a kid do what he's done on the field at the high school level."

Carey "received letters from everybody," Peace said, before narrowing his college choices.

Arizona State offered a scholarship, while a handful of other programs took a wait-and-see approach until Carey improved academically.

USC was interested, Carey said, but this week's NCAA sanctions eliminated the Trojans from his list of finalists. The Trojans received a two-year bowl ban and four years of probation, and were forced to forfeit a season's worth of wins after the NCAA ruled the university demonstrated a lack of institutional control over its basketball and football programs.

"That's just stuff you don't do," Carey said.

Arizona's coaches had an edge on USC, anyway. Coach Mike Stoops purposely did not recruit a tailback for the 2010 recruiting class. The omission sent a message: Carey could play right away in 2011.

"After I saw that, that's when my eyes opened up wide," Carey said. "That's when I started taking them more seriously."

Carey's decision is another sign that UA coaches are dead serious about landing Southern Arizona's best high school players.

The Wildcats have signed three local stars - Ironwood Ridge linebacker Jake Fischer, Palo Verde safety Adam Hall and CDO safety Josh Robbins - in the last two years. Tuesday, the UA received a verbal commitment from Salpointe Catholic offensive lineman Jacob Arzouman.

And now the UA has Carey, the biggest prize of them all.

"I want to stay in Arizona with my friends and family," he said. "I want to be around."

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
Very doubtful that he will qualify. Got this from a high school coaching friend of mine. Great talent though!

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very doubtful that he will qualify. Got this from a high school coaching friend of mine. Great talent though!

I know one of the coaches from CDO and he believes Carey will be eligible. Says has has grown up a lot the past year and sees that he needs to concentrate more on school if he wants to continue with football. I hope he is right because KaDeem is going to be be a stud. He is the total package. What's amazing is he has just started lifting weights.

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes, it's not just a matter of working harder. Sometimes, some athlete's are not able to improve their academics (in specific, their test scores) no matter how hard they try. Time will tell, but my guess is that he will not step foot on the UA campus as a UA student. We shall see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sometimes, it's not just a matter of working harder. Sometimes, some athlete's are not able to improve their academics (in specific, their test scores) no matter how hard they try. Time will tell, but my guess is that he will not step foot on the UA campus as a UA student. We shall see.

From what I know, your guess is wrong. I'm pretty confident he will be playing for the UofA and so are his coaches.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

I know one of the coaches from CDO and he believes Carey will be eligible. Says has has grown up a lot the past year and sees that he needs to concentrate more on school if he wants to continue with football. I hope he is right because KaDeem is going to be be a stud. He is the total package. What's amazing is he has just started lifting weights.

From what I know, your guess is wrong. I'm pretty confident he will be playing for the UofA and so are his coaches.

He said (Lefty) - She Said (Asunut)

Next time you have your "sources" within Az high school athletics give you an opinion, you should probably keep it to yourself as its about as random as me coming on here and saying "one of my sources at ASU tell me Burflict is failing his Womans Studies class at ASU and won't be eligible"

Meaning it just comes across as sour grapes for a University that just lost out on the same kid.

We are not that impressed that you know the assistant towel boy at Chapparel, really we aren't.

Hes got alot of work to do, but alot can (and probably will) change over this next year, so I am not worries at all that he will be eligible.

Great get Stoops!:thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not worried here either.

I went to UofA with Mike Bibby, and he was as dumb as a post. It was unbelievable after talking to him that he even went to classes, let alone passed them.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He said (Lefty) - She Said (Asunut)

Next time you have your "sources" within Az high school athletics give you an opinion, you should probably keep it to yourself as its about as random as me coming on here and saying "one of my sources at ASU tell me Burflict is failing his Womans Studies class at ASU and won't be eligible"

Meaning it just comes across as sour grapes for a University that just lost out on the same kid.

We are not that impressed that you know the assistant towel boy at Chapparel, really we aren't.

Hes got alot of work to do, but alot can (and probably will) change over this next year, so I am not worries at all that he will be eligible.

Great get Stoops!:thumbup:

Did you or Lefty expect anything else? I went to ASU but I actually cheer for both schools, I consider rivals teams from out of state. If ASU gets a state player guys like Mao will state their faults to ASU Chris or Hoover Dam. Its funny how rivalries spill over into message boards, I think me and Russ are the only two impartial posters on the college boards.

This is a great get for U of A if he does qualify.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

You said the same thing about Jerryd Bayless.

It's called BYU online classes. You load up on those and your high school academic performance or your SAT's means next to nothing. Just ask Vontaze Burfict.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you or Lefty expect anything else? I went to ASU but I actually cheer for both schools, I consider rivals teams from out of state. If ASU gets a state player guys like Mao will state their faults to ASU Chris or Hoover Dam. Its funny how rivalries spill over into message boards, I think me and Russ are the only two impartial posters on the college boards.

Me impartial? To ASU and UA maybe but certainly not to all colleges as a whole.

Or I wouldn't be on week 2 of celebrating the demise of USC. :D

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was just going by what an asst coach told me and he could be full of it, who knows. We all know KaDeem has had grade problems and I shouldn't of said I feel confident he will be playing because in reality, I don't know unless I see his grades myself. I'm hoping he gets eligible because it would be a waste of a talent not to play division one football.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Ha, well played. That's why it's hard to take any of it too seriously.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is an impressive commit, 4th ranked LB in TX isn't too shabby. Stoops looks like he is going to end up with a nice haul, there are a couple of really good DB's from OH that are considering UA, one is the #1 ranked CB in the country.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The pipeline from Texas continues. Stoops is already putting up a solid recruiting class and it's only June.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Beats the asphalt in Phoenix.

Atleast I can water my grass.:D

And BTW, I live in farmland southeast of Phoenix but right off an SRP canal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Looks like you and your friend were wrong. Kadeem is fully qualified and is participating in the teams' 7-on-7 drills.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like you and your friend were wrong. Kadeem is fully qualified and is participating in the teams' 7-on-7 drills.

Not disagreeing with you here, but not sure participating in the no-coaches-allowed voluntary team workouts proves your point. In fact he may participate in the team's official August workouts up until school starts even if he hasn't been cleared by the Clearinghouse. I hope he gets in. He seems like a great kid and he's obviously a magnificent talent.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not disagreeing with you here, but not sure participating in the no-coaches-allowed voluntary team workouts proves your point. In fact he may participate in the team's official August workouts up until school starts even if he hasn't been cleared by the Clearinghouse. I hope he gets in. He seems like a great kid and he's obviously a magnificent talent.

He has been cleared. He is taking summer classes.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
He has been cleared. He is taking summer classes.

I highly doubt he has gone through the ClearingHouse. Just because he is taking summer classes doesnt mean he is cleared to play ball. I took college classes over the summer my Freshman year of high school. Best of luck to him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson