Beware the Suns front office! They lie.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns had wanted to trade Knight over the past several seasons (including this one) they would likely have to give up at least a couple first round draft picks to do it or wait to buy him out or stretch his contract.

Enter the Rockets trade. At least Anderson might be useful to the Suns and perhaps easier to trade than Knight next season. It remains to be seen. As noted by other posters, Chriss didn't even play in summer league and it was not because he was good.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If the Suns had wanted to trade Knight over the past several seasons (including this one) they would likely have to give up at least a couple first round draft picks to do it or wait to buy him out or stretch his contract.

Enter the Rockets trade. At least Anderson might be useful to the Suns and perhaps easier to trade than Knight next season. It remains to be seen. As noted by other posters, Chriss didn't even play in summer league and it was not because he was good.
Putting it that way, only having to give up Chriss and take back Anderson's contract, actually was a small price to get rid of Knight.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
When you look at Houston, they were set up pretty good on D, but were always trying to find guys to help the beard on offense. Knight when healthy, can score. With their cap the way it is, maybe you take a flier on Knight?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If we're only resigning players to trade them that's fine but they shouldn't sell the fans on those players being big pieces of the futre.

Then don't fall for it. I say over and over again that most players currently on the roster will be gone within a few years. Booker and Ayton are most likely the only keepers.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So basically now that I know Anderson's contract ended up the same as Knights, you actually are trading:

Knight (older small) for Anderson (older big)
Chriss (Young big) for Melton (Young small)

We end up the same amount of bigs and smalls, contracts roughly the same.

I am assuming Melton will be paid less than Chriss, so we actually gain a little cap space perhaps?

So really nothing to be angry about unless you really are a Knight or Chriss fan.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So really nothing to be angry about unless you really are a Knight or Chriss fan.

Considering that Chriss's draft position was nearly 40 slots higher than Melton's, and Chriss is less than a year older, it's safe to say that his talent level is considerably higher. True, he hadn't shown that yet (at least not consistently), but it's silly to invest in young talent and then give it away for nothing. If you aren't willing to be patient with a player like Chriss, there's no point drafting him in the first place.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Front office had me fooled. Really thought Chriss would see playing time this year. Now I fear TJ is gone.
Who in the front office said that? We add a starting center first overall pick, a pf in free agency, and another top ten versatile front line player in Mikal and Chriss is going to get MORE playing time? That does not make sense. Even now, there will be less minutes for Bender and Warren.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Who in the front office said that? We add a starting center first overall pick, a pf in free agency, and another top ten versatile front line player in Mikal and Chriss is going to get MORE playing time? That does not make sense. Even now, there will be less minutes for Bender and Warren.
Where did he say “more” playing time?

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Considering that Chriss's draft position was nearly 40 slots higher than Melton's, and Chriss is less than a year older, it's safe to say that his talent level is considerably higher. True, he hadn't shown that yet (at least not consistently), but it's silly to invest in young talent and then give it away for nothing. If you aren't willing to be patient with a player like Chriss, there's no point drafting him in the first place.
It's also silly to hang onto a player that has attitude problems and you don't think will turn out to be the player you had envisioned.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sometimes you just misjudge a guy's talent level. It happens a lot.

Chriss is better than Bender but I can say that Bender is a better outside shooter than Chriss and, although I admit not back up by the stats, I think Bender is the better defender.

With Chriss' seeming petulance I don't know how he improves much. He's got so many warts, he isn't truly terrible at anything but he also isn't even average in any area of the game. Maybe ego bruising of the trade and being around a bunch of really good players will light a fire under him.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
So basically now that I know Anderson's contract ended up the same as Knights, you actually are trading:

Knight (older small) for Anderson (older big)
Chriss (Young big) for Melton (Young small)

We end up the same amount of bigs and smalls, contracts roughly the same.

I am assuming Melton will be paid less than Chriss, so we actually gain a little cap space perhaps?

Keep in mind, the contracts of Anderson and Knight are only the same if we plan on waiving Anderson next year. Oherwise it's still the full 20M.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind, the contracts of Anderson and Knight are only the same if we plan on waiving Anderson next year. Oherwise it's still the full 20M.

That's being over looked. Yes, they would both make the same amount in the 2019-20 season if they were waived but if we keep Anderson then he'll still cost $21 million while Knight will cost just $16. Perhaps Knight would have taken a buyout to get that number down also. I can't see Anderson being that receptive to leaving money on the table in a buy out since he's already giving up $5 million plus next year if he's waived. That's sort of his buyout number.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But some times you just know it is not going to happen, or you obtain a better prospect to develop. In this case, I believe they prefer Holmes and Melton over Chriss--oh, and the place he is chosen in the draft SHOULD mean he is more talented, but often does not in reality. There are a lot of reasons why players drop. In Melton's case, it was the fact that he had been out of basketball for a year.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The mission of the front office is to produce as many W’s over an extended period of time, as possible. Their mission is most certainly not about being concerned with what fans see or read into their comments and actions.
Why any fan would ever think you are that high on their priority list is simply LOL funny...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's also good to note that if the Suns pay Anderson the full $20 million next season, it is because they want to keep him. Otherwise they will let him go and save some money.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's also good to note that if the Suns pay Anderson the full $20 million next season, it is because they want to keep him. Otherwise they will let him go and save some money.

I'm glad the guarantee date is July 10th 2019 according to all reports. That means they can try to sign some free agents and if nothing works out and they don't spend that money elsewhere then they can keep Anderson. However they could have close to max room by waiving him but if no one signs there is no big rush to clear his contract from the books. It's in our favor of when we need to make a decision on him. It's even possible they could move him during the draft or right when free agency opens to a team that is looking to get out from under some cap problems. It's not a huge savings but $5 million can be the difference in paying the luxury tax or not for some teams.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad the guarantee date is July 10th 2019 according to all reports. That means they can try to sign some free agents and if nothing works out and they don't spend that money elsewhere then they can keep Anderson. However they could have close to max room by waiving him but if no one signs there is no big rush to clear his contract from the books. It's in our favor of when we need to make a decision on him. It's even possible they could move him during the draft or right when free agency opens to a team that is looking to get out from under some cap problems. It's not a huge savings but $5 million can be the difference in paying the luxury tax or not for some teams.

I agree with your take about the guarantee date. I'm also glad the Suns got the Anderson and Knight salaries close to equal in the trade. If the Suns want to pay more to keep Anderson after this season, it's because they want too.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
It's also silly to hang onto a player that has attitude problems and you don't think will turn out to be the player you had envisioned.

I'm glad we cut bait on Chriss, addition by subtraction. We should have never drafted him though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose