Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murphy Back for Beverly Hills Cop IV
Source: Variety
November 30, 2006

Eddie Murphy will return as detective Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop IV, working with Paramount in collaring Lorenzo di Bonaventura as producer, reports Variety.

The new regime at Paramount is keen on reviving the classic action-comedy franchise. Murphy will work closely with the studio and di Bonaventura in reinvigorating and updating the once-lucrative property. The project is out to writers.

Murphy, who will next be in theaters with Dreamgirls, has always been attached to star in the fourth installment.

The first two pics in the franchise, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and his former partner Don Simpson, did enormous box office. Beverly Hills Cop collected $315.7 million worldwide, while the sequel earned $299.6 million worldwide.

The franchise ran into trouble with the release of Beverly Hills Cop III in 1994. The movie grossed only $44 million domestically.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
:| Eddie's a little too old to be sliding over car hoods and wearing that tight Detroit Lions jacket.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oh God, please NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Why? What do you care?

In reality, this is probably a very good move for Eddie Murphy. His career is a shambles now. He needs something to jumpstart it, and the biggest property he's ever been involved with is a good idea. Whether it is a good movie is a totally different thing, but if someone wants to revive their career (ESPECIALLY a comedian), the best course of action is to revisit the thing that made you famous in the first place.

Doesn't mean it's going to be a good movie (part III was awful), but it is a good career move if they give him the freedom to be the character again.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Why? What do you care?

Because I'm a psychic Chap.

As such, I know that I will have to sit through Beverly Hills Cop IV, just like I had to sit through other piles of ***** like Pure Country, Bad Boys I & II, Chicago, and SWAT (just to name a few).

And when it comes losing $9.50 a person out of my wallet, and 90 minutes to 2 hours out of my life, I believe I have a right to express my displeasure at the fact that Hollywood, in general, will simply rehash an old and tired premise for yet another go around so that someone who was a millionaire by 21 can "revive his career." :rolleyes:

Beverly Hills Cop II & III were complete dreck, and this comes from a guy (myself) who enjoys bad movies (which you've venomously and gleefully pointed out on more than one occasion.)

I feel that IV will only be worse.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I loved the first and enjoyed the second. I thought the third was a big turd.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Because I'm a psychic Chap.

As such, I know that I will have to sit through Beverly Hills Cop IV, just like I had to sit through other piles of ***** like Pure Country, Bad Boys I & II, Chicago, and SWAT (just to name a few).

And when it comes losing $9.50 a person out of my wallet, and 90 minutes to 2 hours out of my life, I believe I have a right to express my displeasure at the fact that Hollywood, in general, will simply rehash an old and tired premise for yet another go around so that someone who was a millionaire by 21 can "revive his career." :rolleyes:

Beverly Hills Cop II & III were complete dreck, and this comes from a guy (myself) who enjoys bad movies (which you've venomously and gleefully pointed out on more than one occasion.)

I feel that IV will only be worse.

Why do you "have" to sit through anything? That's just asinine.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Judge Reinhold is the one who needs the work

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Why do you "have" to sit through anything? That's just asinine.

When my family wants to see something stupid like this, I sacrifice a certain amount of personal comfort so as to be able spend time with them...does something like that make sense to you?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
When my family wants to see something stupid like this, I sacrifice a certain amount of personal comfort so as to be able spend time with them...does something like that make sense to you?

Well, I'm sorry you have to put up with your family's tastes. Too bad for you I guess. :rolleyes:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, this would be like them making Die Hard 4 or Indiana Jones 4.

Whoops

What is with making a fourth movie trend? It is the death of the triliogy.

Of course at least these movies live on unlike movies like the X-Files............

Waiting for Kate to yell in 3..............2..................1

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Well, I'm sorry you have to put up with your family's tastes. Too bad for you I guess. :rolleyes:

Don't feel sorry for me because I choice to put up with my family's tastes, feel sorry for me that I haven't placed on my ignore list yet.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the bright side, Ken. If your family didn't have crappy taste, you might not have one.

;)

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This movie is called..... "I ain't gonna fall for no banana in the tailpipe.... again"

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Don't feel sorry for me because I choice to put up with my family's tastes, feel sorry for me that I haven't placed on my ignore list yet.

Please do. I'd hate to think someone who slams bad movies yet has an avatar of William Shatner actually has to read anything I write.

Actually it's quite admirable that you put up with the different tastes of your family. Too bad you're so close minded about their tastes. Who knows--maybe it won't be so bad?

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Please do. I'd hate to think someone who slams bad movies yet has an avatar of William Shatner actually has to read anything I write.

Actually it's quite admirable that you put up with the different tastes of your family. Too bad you're so close minded about their tastes. Who knows--maybe it won't be so bad?

:biglaugh:

I could never ignore you Chap...

First: We agree on things more often than you think, and
Two: You make me laugh!