Best Suns Big Man Rotation

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Starters
Ayton C
Baynes PF (Baynes is a better shooter both are interchangeable at these spots)

Baynes goes out Dillo comes in.

Now they have two mobile big men who can run the floor block shots rebound and score in the paint.

Ayton checks out then Dario checks in.

With Dario and Dillo, Suns have shooting and rebounding with Dario. Defense and rebounding with Dillo. Dillo can score in the paint.

Dillo checks out Baynes come back in.

Baynes and Dario both can shoot and rebound. Baynes provides defense.

Dario checks out Ayton back in.

I rank the suns, big men, in this order

Ayton
Baynes
Dillio
Dario
Frank

I think that is the best way to spread the mins with frank as a fill-in when Dillo or Dario have injuries or an off shooting night.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I would use Baynes as a backup for both starting bigs (Ayton and Saric). Ayton comes out, Baynes goes in. Ayton comes back, Dario goes out. Dario comes back, Baynes goes out. Diallo should be the 4th big in an emergency (foul trouble, injuries, etc). Frank should be promoted to cheerleader. Saric and Baynes stretch the floor in a way that no other combo does. I would also try the small ball lineup with three wings, Rubio, and Ayton.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Starters
Ayton C
Baynes PF (Baynes is a better shooter both are interchangeable at these spots)

Baynes goes out Dillo comes in.

Now they have two mobile big men who can run the floor block shots rebound and score in the paint.

Ayton checks out then Dario checks in.

With Dario and Dillo, Suns have shooting and rebounding with Dario. Defense and rebounding with Dillo. Dillo can score in the paint.

Dillo checks out Baynes come back in.

Baynes and Dario both can shoot and rebound. Baynes provides defense.

Dario checks out Ayton back in.

Ayton
Baynes
Dillio
Dario
Frank

I think that is the best way to spread the mins with frank as a fill-in when Dillo or Dario have injuries or an off shooting night.
That sounds great! And well thought out. I was in favor of Ayton with
Baynes as our starting twin towers upon Ayton's return.

Unfortunately, Baynes has shown that, at his age, he cannot withstand
the rigors of being a starter. And, that being the case, he would be our
best candidate to backup Ayton. 48 solid minutes at Center. Ayton for
32 and Baynes for 16.

Do you think your rotation would work if Baynes starts at PF, but plays
only 4-minute segments instead of the traditional 8, with the other
4 minutes covered by Saric (or, as he develops, Diallo)?

And I agree (as probably all of us) that Frank The Tank not be in the
regular rotation.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would use Baynes as a backup for both starting bigs (Ayton and Saric). Ayton comes out, Baynes goes in. Ayton comes back, Dario goes out. Dario comes back, Baynes goes out. Diallo should be the 4th big in an emergency (foul trouble, injuries, etc). Frank should be promoted to cheerleader. Saric and Baynes stretch the floor in a way that no other combo does. I would also try the small ball lineup with three wings, Rubio, and Ayton.

I agree with this but I think Kaminsky and Diallo would rotate as the 4th big depending on need. If it's a high scoring game with little defense then put Frank in and if it's more of a grind it out game then throw Diallo out there.

I really didn't care for the Kaminsky signing but I came around on him with his quality start to the year. He's been bad as of late but he's largely playing out of position as well. When he can be our backup PF then I think he'll start being more productive.

I'm still pretty down on Diallo but I also am in the camp that doesn't mind missing the playoffs this year. Development is more important than wins and losses and Diallo may be someone worth spending some time developing, which is why I haven't given up on him entirely.

iVAN

Reaction score

Ayton
Baynes
Dillio
Dario
Frank

I think ***** and Frank Cumminsky should be 3rd string pairing for garbage time. Both are scrubs.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is really hard to argue with Baynes's impact on the entire team. I cannot see how he should not start somehow.

Baynes as pf or c, it doesn't really matter. Just semantics.

The burden is on Ayton right now to prove his worth. I know he is the number one pick and the future and all but this team is in the playoff hunt right now and it would be devastating to team morale (especially Booker) to sacrifice wins just to start Ayton over Baynes.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would leave the bench super thin at center. I think that's when the Suns have been hurting the most (when Baynes went to the bench and while he was out). In theory it might work for very very small stretches. As good as Baynes was playing I think he needs to come off the bench to keep a good bench rotation.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That would leave the bench super thin at center. I think that's when the Suns have been hurting the most (when Baynes went to the bench and while he was out). In theory it might work for very very small stretches. As good as Baynes was playing I think he needs to come off the bench to keep a good bench rotation.
Its not like the starters only play together and the bench only plays together. There would be a rotation of big men. It just assures that Baynes does not lose minutes at the expense of Ayton.

I think that is my main point. Ayton's return should not cut into Baynes's minutes. If Ayton has to play some pf to get burn, so be it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not like the starters only play together and the bench only plays together. There would be a rotation of big men. It just assures that Baynes does not lose minutes at the expense of Ayton.

I think that is my main point. Ayton's return should not cut into Baynes's minutes. If Ayton has to play some pf to get burn, so be it.

That's why I said in small doses that might be OK. However, there is a big drop off IMO from Ayton/Baynes and the rest of the bench. The team during Ayton's absence and Baynes injury made that painfully obviously. I think one of them should be on the floor for the vast majority of the game. If they play a ton of minutes together that won't happen. If they just start that way and then divide time on the floor OK. Is that what you were suggesting?

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It is really hard to argue with Baynes's impact on the entire team. I cannot see how he should not start somehow.

The burden is on Ayton right now to prove his worth. I know he is the number one pick and the future and all but this team is in the playoff hunt right now and it would be devastating to team morale (especially Booker) to sacrifice wins just to start Ayton over Baynes.
If the guy could stay healthy with >20 minutes per game I would be fine with it, but because it seems he can’t I would prefer him to just get about 18 behind Ayton.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's why I said in small doses that might be OK. However, there is a big drop off IMO from Ayton/Baynes and the rest of the bench. The team during Ayton's absence and Baynes injury made that painfully obviously. I think one of them should be on the floor for the vast majority of the game. If they play a ton of minutes together that won't happen. If they just start that way and then divide time on the floor OK. Is that what you were suggesting?
Yes. I suppose. Start together and stagger their rest. There should be little time where they are not both on the floor.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Baynes cannot handle the rigors of starter's minutes. We've seen it. It is what it is.

Playing limited minutes throughout most of the game as he did in his return, but
being ready to close the game (which he probably would do a lot) would be the
best plan under the circumstances.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Baynes cannot handle the rigors of starter's minutes. We've seen it. It is what it is.

Playing limited minutes throughout most of the game as he did in his return, but
being ready to close the game (which he probably would do a lot) would be the
best plan under the circumstances.

I agree with this 1000%. It really doesn't matter who starts and trying to find a way for Baynes to start is looking at things backwards. Too much emphasis is being made on who starts. Start Kaminsky for all I care. What's most important is that Ayton and Baynes are able to play quality basketball in the 4th. If Monty can find a way to allow them to play the 4th together without being fatigued, that's got to be the best way to use them.

I'd have Baynes start the 2nd half and play 7-8 minutes before giving him a nice long breather before the 4th. I'd use Ayton with Baynes to start the 2nd half, pull him after 3-4 minutes, put him back in when Baynes goes out and let him finish the quarter. Start the 4th quarter playing small ball for 3-4 minutes, trying to run and build a lead that Ayton and Baynes can come in and protect until the final buzzer sounds.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK, I am with you. Makes sense to me.
The reason I think Baynes should still start is because of Booker. Booker needs Baynes on the court with him to set screens for him. Baynes gets Booker open looks. So unless Ayton has learned to set some mean screens in his 25 game haitus, I think he should split his time between starting PF and back up c.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I think Baynes should still start is because of Booker. Booker needs Baynes on the court with him to set screens for him. Baynes gets Booker open looks. So unless Ayton has learned to set some mean screens in his 25 game haitus, I think he should split his time between starting PF and back up c.

Baynes does set a great pick, one of the best in the league. But IMO Ayton helps Booker's all around game even more. He can just do so many thing that Baynes can't even with Aron's ability to shoot from the 3 point line. In the one game with Ayton, Booker had 22 points and 10 assists while shooting 8 for 13 from 2 and making 2 of 4 from the arc. The idea that DA should be benched for Devin kind of floors me, how much better do you need Booker to be? And keep in mind, we blew them out so Booker played about 4 minutes less than usual and Baynes didn't even log 10 minutes.

I'm more than willing to see if the 2 bigs can play together but if not, I think "benching" Ayton when he returns is gambling on a short term benefit that might have disastrous long term implications.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

But, as has been posted often, Baynes body cannot handle starter's minutes,
as we've seen, let alone starting at Power Forward and backing up at Center.

It would be wonderful if Baynes were ten years younger, but he is not.

Let's not apply the Booker Syndrome to him. Wear him out until it reduces
his game. And then alibi losing streaks.

One of my biggest gripes about the Suns' decisions over the decade is
that they are short sighted. Simple minded. That is the Sarver Syndrome.