Best salad in the Valley

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah I know this one isn't as much fun as the Burger one, but I have been working really hard to lose weight the last month and so, in the spirit of healthy eating, tell us what you're favorite salad spot!

I just discovered the salad bar at AJs fine foods. It was fantastic. Lots of fresh, Tasty ingredients and a reasonable price!

Where do you like to get a salad?

Errntknght

Reaction score
Thanks for the head's up about AJ's... I rarely shop there but I'll check out their salad bar as I eat great quantities of salad.

Normally I go to Tomatoes but I won't vouch for their salads overall - I just buy their take out with veggies that I use in small quantities and mix those with higher volume components that I buy at Sprouts. Also that allows me to buy organic for things I worry about. It saves a lot of chopping and trying to maintain things that come in larger quantities than I need per salad. Their plastic take out container looks small but it holds over a quart and costs $6.05 per, tax included. Their stuff is fresh - they do a high volume of business and they're constantly refreshing the trays of food.

If you're interested in my take on buying organic, read on. I don't have a lot of faith in the ratings of high and low amounts of pollutants because I don't know how they arrive at them. My ideas are based on simple chemistry. The worst food pollutants are called POPs - Persistant Organic Pollutants. They persist because they're not water soluble but since they're not, plants don't take up from the soil. They're usually dispersed via the air to begin with - thus if the part you eat is exposed to air I go organic - leafy greens in particular because they have lots of surface area. POPs are generally soluble in oils and fats so I buy organic oils and animal products including dairy and eggs - as you go up the food chain pollutants are more and more concentrated.
Foods with tough, non-porous skins I just wash with a fruit and veggie wash - apples, pears, plums, celery, tomatoes, etc. Things with porous skins I peel or buy organic - peaches and apricots for example. Canned foods I go organic but I rarely eat anything canned except tomatoes (in sauces). Cabbage is exposed to air but the outer leaves are discarded - even moreso with cauliflower - so I don't worry about them.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I like the salad bar at Whole Foods - huge variety. Also Sprouts' is pretty good.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Trader Joe's Original Greek Salad is still my favorite for on-the-go.

Zoe's Kitchen has a great Greek salad. It comes with their amazing red potato salad underneath. It sounds weird, but it works.

Jason's Deli has a good salad bar, especially if you pair it with one of their soups.

If you are by PV Mall, go to Bread Crafters. All salads made fresh and their have a triple berry salad that is amazing, as well as about a dozen other varieties.

Another fun thing to do is to go to one of the local Farmer's Markets on the weekend and just pick out your own ingredients. I know I've done this and I am loathe to let them go to waste. Fun for experimenting.

And, if I am feeling particularly unhealthy, I will get the Olive Garden salad to go. :D

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The soups and salads at Cafe' Zupas is really good. There is one way north...17 & Deer Valley, maybe? I go to the one at Val Vista & Baseline.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummm really GOOD salads are about as bad for you as a hamburger or worse.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The soups and salads at Cafe' Zupas is really good. There is one way north...17 & Deer Valley, maybe? I go to the one at Val Vista & Baseline.

One opened recently at Gilbert Rd / 202 South.

My girlfriend and I love Oregano's Favorite salad with chicken.

OREGANO’S FAVORITE
And soon to be yours! Romaine lettuce, sundried tomatoes, kalamata olives, our spiced feta cheese, roasted red peppers, pine nuts and raisins tossed with our tasty honey vinaigrette dressing and topped with red onions. Are you drooling yet? Order it Big or Real Big – try it with chicken too!

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ummm really GOOD salads are about as bad for you as a hamburger or worse.

Cant disagree more. Have found tons of really good salads that aren't bad for you at all. Certainly nowhere near a hamburger. If a salad has breaded anything in it I dont order it.

Even if calories are about even, you are getting far more nutrients from a salad and your body is processing it differently than a Hamburger.

I mean, we're not talking about giant taco salads or monstrosities with gallons of ranch in them. I expected that common sense would suggest those aren't the salads we are talking about.

But now I kindof want a burger. Thanks Shane. :p

Last edited:

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thanks for the head's up about AJ's... I rarely shop there but I'll check out their salad bar as I eat great quantities of salad.

Normally I go to Tomatoes but I won't vouch for their salads overall - I just buy their take out with veggies that I use in small quantities and mix those with higher volume components that I buy at Sprouts. Also that allows me to buy organic for things I worry about. It saves a lot of chopping and trying to maintain things that come in larger quantities than I need per salad. Their plastic take out container looks small but it holds over a quart and costs $6.05 per, tax included. Their stuff is fresh - they do a high volume of business and they're constantly refreshing the trays of food.

If you're interested in my take on buying organic, read on. I don't have a lot of faith in the ratings of high and low amounts of pollutants because I don't know how they arrive at them. My ideas are based on simple chemistry. The worst food pollutants are called POPs - Persistant Organic Pollutants. They persist because they're not water soluble but since they're not, plants don't take up from the soil. They're usually dispersed via the air to begin with - thus if the part you eat is exposed to air I go organic - leafy greens in particular because they have lots of surface area. POPs are generally soluble in oils and fats so I buy organic oils and animal products including dairy and eggs - as you go up the food chain pollutants are more and more concentrated.
Foods with tough, non-porous skins I just wash with a fruit and veggie wash - apples, pears, plums, celery, tomatoes, etc. Things with porous skins I peel or buy organic - peaches and apricots for example. Canned foods I go organic but I rarely eat anything canned except tomatoes (in sauces). Cabbage is exposed to air but the outer leaves are discarded - even moreso with cauliflower - so I don't worry about them.

Late response but thanks for this - I found it very informative.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zupa's has some really good salads.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
For some more specialty salads that are very good, may want to check out True Foods, Grassroots kitchen, and The Parlor. All of which are located around the Biltmore area...ironically. Zoe's and Zupa's are also good, but can be a little high in calories depending on what you get. Paradise/Panera are pretty good, as well.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Saganaki Salad w/ half chicken and half gyros at George's Kitchen on 16th st and Bethany is the best salad in the Valley!

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Theres this new place in gilbert called Mad Greens.

https://www.madgreens.com/menu/salads

so good, and you can basically design your own salad, so you can tailor it to however you are trying to eat. Check it out sometime if you are in the Val Vista/baseline area.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theres this new place in gilbert called Mad Greens.

https://www.madgreens.com/menu/salads

so good, and you can basically design your own salad, so you can tailor it to however you are trying to eat. Check it out sometime if you are in the Val Vista/baseline area.
I checked out their menu, and don't see how they can succeed being in the same parking lot as Cafe Zupas which offers almost everything they have and more.

I'll probably give them a try, though, just to make a more informed decision. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave