Best Pizza Joint in Town

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Help me with the pizza thing

Okay, I know this was posted in EE before, but I am too damned lazy to look for it.

I need some serious pizza. I don't want any of this Chicago-style or fancy-smancy crap. I want regular, good old sloppy pizza. Distance and price and not issues.

Help me. Please.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peruchio's .... Greenway and 35th AVENUE (Northwest Phoenix.... lol)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Okay, I know this was posted in EE before, but I am too damned lazy to look for it.

I need some serious pizza. I don't want any of this Chicago-style or fancy-smancy crap. I want regular, good old sloppy pizza. Distance and price and not issues.

Help me. Please.

Listen to me and listen good... Do NOT ask anyone from AZ about Pizza. In fact, do not ask anyone who is not from NY/NJ/CT, or San Francisco about pizza! They don't know **** about it!!!

Now, just accept the FACT, right now, that you will never experience pizza like you once took for granted up in Joysey... aint gonna happen. If you can get there, you do stand the chance of being surprised every once and a great while. I have been on the perfect pizza quest here in AZ for 6 years now, and here's what I've learned:

- The absolute BEST place, and closest thing I've found to "our" style of pizza is.... Pizzeria Bianco!!! TREMENDOUS!!!! Will truly give anything you have had back home a run for its' money. It's located in downtown PHX in Heritage Square, right next to Chase Field off of 7th.

- La Grande Orange. Very cool little place off of Campbell and 34th or something like that. Great, fresh pizza. Kinda like the deli's you might have visited from time to time back home. Great Wine Bar right next door as well, called Postino!

- The Cove. Family run joint. Family is actually from Hoboken! Great pizza! Located at the corner of Scottsdale Road and Indian Bend.

Everything else SUCKS!

OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now, just accept the FACT, right now, that you will never experience pizza like you once took for granted up in Joysey... aint gonna happen.

Great. Thanks.

- The Cove. Family run joint. Family is actually from Hoboken! Great pizza! Located at the corner of Scottsdale Road and Indian Bend.

This is not incredibly far from where I live, so I will check it out. Besides I LOVE Hoboken!!!! Had dinner there a few days before I left Jersey. There is nothing better than sitting outside, enjoying a nice beer and looking at the lit-up city across the river. A beautiful, beautiful site.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Great. Thanks.

This is not incredibly far from where I live, so I will check it out. Besides I LOVE Hoboken!!!! Had dinner there a few days before I left Jersey. There is nothing better than sitting outside, enjoying a nice beer and looking at the lit-up city across the river. A beautiful, beautiful site.

NOTHING can ever beat that... Nothing... :thumbup:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 That are very close to you. NY style, thin crust, no-nonsense, and cheap by the slice.

Venuzias. SE corner of Mill and Southern in Tempe.

Slices. In the ASU downtown Mill area (I think off 6th ave, but not sure). Same thing.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen to me and listen good... Do NOT ask anyone from AZ about Pizza. In fact, do not ask anyone who is not from NY/NJ/CT, or San Francisco about pizza! They don't know **** about it!!!
!

LOL - HEY! Snob!!!!

:D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 That are very close to you. NY style, thin crust, no-nonsense, and cheap by the slice.

Venuzias. SE corner of Mill and Southern in Tempe.

Slices. In the ASU downtown Mill area (I think off 6th ave, but not sure). Same thing.

Venuzias is very good. In Tempe too.

If you want good takeout..go Barros.

Not sure she would like Barros, it is a Chicago style pizza. That said. I love Barros.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really liked NYPD Pizza: http://www.aznypdpizza.com/

various locations, but I've only been to the 20th St & Camelback one. It was yummy.

Paesano, at 43rd Ave & Thunderbird, is where I WAITRESSED in my younger days--they have great pizza. Sal & Vonda (the owners) are from Sicily originally, but were in NY before coming here. Great, inexpensive Italian food, too.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really liked NYPD Pizza: http://www.aznypdpizza.com/

various locations, but I've only been to the 20th St & Camelback one. It was yummy.

Paesano, at 43rd Ave & Thunderbird, is where I WAITRESSED in my younger days--they have great pizza. Sal & Vonda (the owners) are from Sicily originally, but were in NY before coming here. Great, inexpensive Italian food, too.

And I am sure that you were one hell of a waitress... :)

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I am sure that you were one hell of a waitress... :)

:biglaugh:I was pregnant most of the time--THAT'S the way to earn good tips, btw--men feeling guilty that a huge pregnant chick is bringing out their food=BIG tips!! :D

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

How many ways can you find to say...."NEZ, please pile drive me into oblivion??"

I know 1000x more about pizza than anyone in the world. And now I won't share my secrets.

OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many ways can you find to say...."NEZ, please pile drive me into oblivion??"

I know 1000x more about pizza than anyone in the world. And now I won't share my secrets.

So punish me because you're mad at him. Thanks.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That is generally how I operate. ;)

See....82 will avoid this thread....can't get back at him. I'll just piledrive him Sunday.

Too funny!!! Me too!!!

As for pizza, the natural laws of nature clearly state that people from AZ might "know" pizza, but they don't really "know" pizza like a person from the northeast "knows" pizza... It's a simple fact that is undeniable...
That said, no need to leave a nice young lady like Jersey lost and void of the NEZ slant on pizza... I would bet she could probably school you on the pizza topic however, but still - no reason to leave her in the dark!

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I make my own pizza generally. I don't like where this thread went.

It doesn't matter where you are from. Pizza has many different styles and to each their own.

I've been to NYC many, many times and it is my favorite place to visit....ever. I love the Brooklyn Pizzeria's.........but I don't think I'm better than everybody else because I've been lucky enough to eat there.

Brooklyn Brewery rules by the way.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I make my own pizza generally. I don't like where this thread went.

It doesn't matter where you are from. Pizza has many different styles and to each their own.

I've been to NYC many, many times and it is my favorite place to visit....ever. I love the Brooklyn Pizzeria's.........but I don't think I'm better than everybody else because I've been lucky enough to eat there.

Brooklyn Brewery rules by the way.

Just having some fun, doing a 'lil Big Apple Boasting!!!
You're right NEZ... To each their own...

And Hell YEA! I still have 6 Brooklyn Brewery Mugs that I use quite regularly!!!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spinotto's at 12st and Bell Rd. Thier deep dish is amazing

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Patsy Grimaldi's in Old Towne Scottsdale - Brooklyn pizza made in coal ovens! The one here is an outpost from her original location in Brooklyn. It rocks!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Brooklyn Brewery does rock

the pizza in NY/NJ is by far the best in the nation and isn't matched here - not even close

the east coast rules for simple foods done incredibly well - i would also kill for a good deli sandwich - but these are the sacrifices you make - you find places that will work

for cheesesteaks I like corleones, i can get decent corn beef/pastrami at the miracle mile/park central deli by my work - for pizza, it depends

streets of NY is pretty good, although they can be streaky - have had a few other good ones as well - although admittedly I often feel that if i have to eat subpar pizza, it might as well be cheap - that is where little caesars comes in - $5 fix and I don't feel ripped off for the quality received

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Brooklyn Brewery does rock

the pizza in NY/NJ is by far the best in the nation and isn't matched here - not even close

the east coast rules for simple foods done incredibly well - i would also kill for a good deli sandwich - but these are the sacrifices you make - you find places that will work

for cheesesteaks I like corleones, i can get decent corn beef/pastrami at the miracle mile/park central deli by my work - for pizza, it depends

streets of NY is pretty good, although they can be streaky - have had a few other good ones as well - although admittedly I often feel that if i have to eat subpar pizza, it might as well be cheap - that is where little caesars comes in - $5 fix and I don't feel ripped off for the quality received

Osprey - you seem to have a pretty good grasp on eats! I like some of your suggestions in many of the other food threads...

You need to give the pizza places I referenced a try. I think you will be extremely satisfied!
Also, if you are looking for a good, high-quality deli experience, go check out Meatballz. It's on Northsight Rd. in Scottsdale, off of Raintree and close to the 101. I happen to think it's the best deli experience in the valley!!!