Best Movie Of All Time

Which films do you believe is the best movie of all time? (please pick three)

• The Godfather (1972)

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • The Godfather, part II (1974)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schindler's List (1993)

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Casablanca (1942)

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Citizen Kane (1941)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Star Wars (1977)

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
But, Ken, you are basing your assertions on the EFFECT of the film, not the film itself. That's the problem--you ask for the best film of all time, not the film with the most influence.

But the influence of a film upon the viewer is a legitimate basis to judge if a movie is good or bad, or even if it's top-ten material or not. The effect of the film upon the viewer can make one look past things like a strong script, or great acting. If one only looks at production values, acting, and strength of plot and storyline, then you miss the point of film itself. And that is, to garner an emotional response from the audience.

Remember this is not my top-ten list, but the 11 American movies of off the user-voted-upon top 250 movies of all time list from IMDB.com

http://us.imdb.com/top_250_films

Here's a look at the actual listed rankings. I omitted "Shichinin no samurai" from the list due to the fact that 99% of users here haven't seen it, let alone heard of it.

1 Godfather, The (1972) 9.0/10 (74610 votes)
2 Shawshank Redemption, The (1994) 8.9/10 (94451 votes)
3 Godfather: Part II, The (1974) 8.8/10 (42391 votes)
4 Schindler's List (1993) 8.7/10 (65928 votes)
5 Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The (2001) 8.7/10 (96657 votes)
6 Casablanca (1942) 8.7/10 (44268 votes)
7 Citizen Kane (1941) 8.7/10 (41668 votes)
8 Shichinin no samurai (1954) 8.7/10 (17759 votes)
9 Star Wars (1977) 8.7/10 (95975 votes)
10 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The (2002) 8.6/10 (47771 votes)
11 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) 8.6/10 (41993 votes)

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
Maybe they are newer, but they have to be considering in the Top 50 at least of all-time...I would think.

The movies are mega-hits, people love them, they are well-made, well-acted and made breakthroughs in technology...

I think they are worthy of the Top 50 at least.

Mike

Personally, I feel that the "Lord Of the Ring" triolgy ranks quite highly here for the some reasons the "Star Wars" appears on the list.

If "Star Wars" was a retelling of the "Hero Myth", the LOTR is statement of something most all of us are lacking emotionally, that is a circle of friends that would sacrifice, and if necessary, die for us.

"The Fellowship" is 9 different individuals (only 4 of which are reallyclose to one another before it's forming) that come together and offer the kind of support for one another that we all wish we had in our lives. And as the adventure of "The Fellowship" moves throughout the story, they continue to accumulate others into the cause willing to make the kind of sacrifices that no one is willing to make. Think about it, how many people in your life (figuratively speaking of course) would die for you? How many would you die for? How many friendships are that close anymore? It strikes at the very core of our society...

In my opinion, that is...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I still don't buy it. Yes, the influence of a film makes a difference, but Plan 9 from Outer Space has had major influence on just about every sci-fi film ever made since (even if it IS negative), that doesn't make it the best film ever made. The Usual Suspects, All About Eve, Raging Bull, what about those? What about the influence of Midnight Cowboy? Or Snow White? What makes their influences any less than Star Wars or LOTR?

I mean, Strangelove is great, but it isn't even Kubrick's best film! What about The Gold Rush? City Lights? Modern Times?

The problem is that this whole poll/list is subjective, just like the rankings on IMDB. People don't give Shawshank a 10, just so that they can try to make it #1--they give it a 10 because they liked it (I'd give it a 9).

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
If "Star Wars" was a retelling of the "Hero Myth", the LOTR is statement of something most all of us are lacking emotionally, that is a circle of friends that would sacrifice, and if necessary, die for us.

"The Fellowship" is 9 different individuals (only 4 of which are reallyclose to one another before it's forming) that come together and offer the kind of support for one another that we all wish we had in our lives. And as the adventure of "The Fellowship" moves throughout the story, they continue to accumulate others into the cause willing to make the kind of sacrifices that no one is willing to make. Think about it, how many people in your life (figuratively speaking of course) would die for you? How many would you die for? How many friendships are that close anymore? It strikes at the very core of our society...

:thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

That's not exactly original though... (it being an adaptation of a novel notwithstanding)

What about Seven Samurai (Shichinin no samurai) and The Magnificent Seven? And more recently, X-Men?

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
I still don't buy it. Yes, the influence of a film makes a difference, but Plan 9 from Outer Space has had major influence on just about every sci-fi film ever made since (even if it IS negative), that doesn't make it the best film ever made. The Usual Suspects, All About Eve, Raging Bull, what about those? What about the influence of Midnight Cowboy? Or Snow White? What makes their influences any less than Star Wars or LOTR?

I mean, Strangelove is great, but it isn't even Kubrick's best film! What about The Gold Rush? City Lights? Modern Times?

The problem is that this whole poll/list is subjective, just like the rankings on IMDB. People don't give Shawshank a 10, just so that they can try to make it #1--they give it a 10 because they liked it (I'd give it a 9).

As much as love to debate topics like this my friend, I must say just one thing...

it's all subjective

What criterion would you have us base our opinon on?
Do you have a checklist?
Is it objective, or is some personal judgement invovled?

You listed off a series of great titles (like you always do :)) . But what makes them any better than the titles that I perported as being "top-ten"?

This is a discussion board...let's discuss!

PS: "Dr. Strangelove" is Kubrick's best film, followed in order by "2001: A Space Odessey" and "A Clockwork Orange".

EDIT: I had to fix some spelling errors...

Last edited:

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
The problem is that this whole poll/list is subjective, just like the rankings on IMDB.

Isn't that what any list is, though? Everybody has an opinion on films and everybody enjoys them for their own reasons. If we all put our own top 10 lists up here I highly doubt anybody's would be the same but that wouldn't make any one right or wrong.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
That's not exactly original though... (it being an adaptation of a novel notwithstanding)

What about Seven Samurai (Shichinin no samurai) and The Magnificent Seven? And more recently, X-Men?

"Shichinin no samurai" is not widely known (but still a super movie), "Magnificent Seven" is not very fresh in the public consciousness (although it is in mine, I love that film, I own it, and I watch it regularly.) "X-Men" is too outlandish (if that makes sense) due to the fact that they're super-heros. Even though LOTR is considered "fantasy" genre, the characters are more believable.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
As much as love to debate topics like this my friend, I must say just one thing...

it's all subjective

What criterion would you have us base our opinon on?
Do you have a checklist?
Is it objective, or is some personally judgement invovled?

You listed off a series of great titles (like you always do :)) . But what makes them any better than the titles that I perported as being "top-ten"?

This is a discussion board...let's discuss!

PS: "Dr. Strangelove" is Kubrick's best film, followed in order by "2001: A Space Odessey" and "A Clockwork Orange".

The most interesting thing here is that I can write the same exact post to you and it would be pertinent. Aah, the greatness of a message board.

(PS: Strangelove is Kubrick's 3rd greatest film after 2001 and ******) :D

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
The most interesting thing here is that I can write the same exact post to you and it would be pertinent. Aah, the greatness of a message board.

(PS: Strangelove is Kubrick's 3rd greatest film after 2001 and ******) :D

Too true...I think we're all "closet lawyers" who just love to agrue stuff like this...

I found "******" kind of scary, since when I watched it for the first time, my daughter was her age...I would have shot James Mason in the head and left his body in the dry Salt River bed if I were her father...even though he was a fellow Welchman. :D

Last edited:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think lists are subjective as well, and Chap, I don't mean to bag on you at all, but this is why I get annoyed sometimes in our conversations.

When I say I think a movie like LOTR is really good, and on my Top 10 list, something Chaplin would say might be, "but it's just NOT as good a movie as The Seven Samurai"...

Like it's a matter of fact, or scientific proof that SS is just a better movie than LOTR.

To me, it's all subjective...and so when I say this is MY Top 10 list, I don't mean that everyone else should agree with it, or say that it's WRONG because my #1 just "ISN'T" as good as this other one...

Just my two cents...not meaning to jump on you Chap, but that's where I'm coming from sometimes when I get upset...I don't like it when other people think that a certain movie is just better than another and there's no getting around it.

You should say "But to me, Seven Samurai is just a better movie than LOTR", which is fine...your opinion...but keep facts out of judging movies...it just isn't a science.

Now, go ahead and rip me a new one :)

Mike

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think lists are subjective as well, and Chap, I don't mean to bag on you at all, but this is why I get annoyed sometimes in our conversations.

When I say I think a movie like LOTR is really good, and on my Top 10 list, something Chaplin would say might be, "but it's just NOT as good a movie as The Seven Samurai"...

Like it's a matter of fact, or scientific proof that SS is just a better movie than LOTR.

To me, it's all subjective...and so when I say this is MY Top 10 list, I don't mean that everyone else should agree with it, or say that it's WRONG because my #1 just "ISN'T" as good as this other one...

Just my two cents...not meaning to jump on you Chap, but that's where I'm coming from sometimes when I get upset...I don't like it when other people think that a certain movie is just better than another and there's no getting around it.

You should say "But to me, Seven Samurai is just a better movie than LOTR", which is fine...your opinion...but keep facts out of judging movies...it just isn't a science.

Mike

Ok I will. :) This post really comes across as whining to me. Yes, it's subjective, but if you want to pick apart my post, then more power to you--but since everything is subjective, why bother?

To you, when I say LOTR isn't a Top 10 film--why is that any different than you saying it IS? Both opinions, while totally different, are very abrupt. And that's the point. I understand why you like LOTR--I love it myself--I just don't think it's top 10 material. Now whether that comes strictly from different tastes, or just that I've seen many more movies than you have, doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

In fact, the best character in the entire movie is probably Angus McFayden, who plays Robert the Bruce. Out of every character in the film, only he goes through any kind of change.

He did my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great....grandfather justice! :D

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I will. :) This post really comes across as whining to me. Yes, it's subjective, but if you want to pick apart my post, then more power to you--but since everything is subjective, why bother?

To you, when I say LOTR isn't a Top 10 film--why is that any different than you saying it IS? Both opinions, while totally different, are very abrupt. And that's the point. I understand why you like LOTR--I love it myself--I just don't think it's top 10 material. Now whether that comes strictly from different tastes, or just that I've seen many more movies than you have, doesn't matter.

What I'm trying to get across is that some people say they like movies just cause they like them, but when you say a movie is good, it comes across like it's a fact, not your opinion.

I just say "LOTR is one of my favorite films, and I'd rate it in my Top 10". You'd say "But it just isn't that good, there are 50 films I could name that are better than it..."

Instead, you could say "...LOTR probably wouldn't make my top 50 list, because there are just 50 movies I personally like better."

One sentence sounds like you're stating fact, and the other sounds like you're stating opinion.

That's my point...and it's my post, I'll whine if I want to :)

Mike

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Mike

I totally agree, though I don't know enough about Chap to make those same comments. :D

As a "younger" guy, my list would be completely different.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
He did my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great....grandfather justice! :D

The idea of you in a kilt...BLEECH!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What I'm trying to get across is that some people say they like movies just cause they like them, but when you say a movie is good, it comes across like it's a fact, not your opinion.

If you saw me right now, you'd see me laughing maniacally and rubbing my hands together... :D

To me, it IS a fact, just like to you, LOTR as top 10 IS a fact also. What's wrong with that? Why is it, you can dispute my opinion, but yet I can't do the same to you? Was any of my posts name-calling? Did I single you out and call you names? Did I say your choices are STUPID? NO! I'm sorry I'm getting all up in arms, but this is a waste of time. For me and for you.

I just say "LOTR is one of my favorite films, and I'd rate it in my Top 10". You'd say "But it just isn't that good, there are 50 films I could name that are better than it..."

Instead, you could say "...LOTR probably wouldn't make my top 50 list, because there are just 50 movies I personally like better."

One sentence sounds like you're stating fact, and the other sounds like you're stating opinion.

So what?? Both are opinions. Why do you think it's a fact? I don't understand where you are coming from. I don't understand why you are so concerned with taking everything I write and dissecting it as if it is a personal attack? I've known you for a long time, Mike, and right now, I'm feeling pretty crappy because of what you wrote.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdamien13
Isn't that what any list is, though? Everybody has an opinion on films and everybody enjoys them for their own reasons. If we all put our own top 10 lists up here I highly doubt anybody's would be the same but that wouldn't make any one right or wrong.

And when did I say any of your choices was WRONG? I never did! I gave alternatives according to my OPINION, just like you did originally.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All these types of lists are totally subjective - you can't get around that fact.

It just appears that everyone wants a right to an opinion until their opinion comes under fire and then it turns into Romper Room. :) :thumbup:

Shawn

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you saw me right now, you'd see me laughing maniacally and rubbing my hands together... :D

To me, it IS a fact, just like to you, LOTR as top 10 IS a fact also. What's wrong with that? Why is it, you can dispute my opinion, but yet I can't do the same to you? Was any of my posts name-calling? Did I single you out and call you names? Did I say your choices are STUPID? NO! I'm sorry I'm getting all up in arms, but this is a waste of time. For me and for you.

So what?? Both are opinions. Why do you think it's a fact? I don't understand where you are coming from. I don't understand why you are so concerned with taking everything I write and dissecting it as if it is a personal attack? I've known you for a long time, Mike, and right now, I'm feeling pretty crappy because of what you wrote.

That's the difference...when I say LOTR is a Top 10, I DON'T think it's a fact, I just think it's my opinion. Especially because I know there are some pretty good movies out there, all deserving Top 10 status.

This is where I'm coming from: When you say your opinions, it comes across a lot better to others if you act like it's an opinion, not a fact.

I say LOTR is in the Top 10, and you say "I could probably come up with 50 better movies than LOTR".

That is your opinion for sure, but it comes across like you're stating fact and my opinion is just plain wrong. Instead, you could say "Personally, I think I my top 50 list probably wouldn't include LOTR."

See the difference?

That's my point...now don't get so upset and feel crappy about it...just understand that I'm trying to point out why I get upset at your posts from time to time. I've known you for a long time, and I think of you as a friend...

Mike

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
I think what would really gross you out, is what I don't wear with a kilt. :D

You must be registered for see images