Best Movie Of All Time

Which films do you believe is the best movie of all time? (please pick three)

• The Godfather (1972)

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • The Godfather, part II (1974)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schindler's List (1993)

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Casablanca (1942)

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Citizen Kane (1941)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Star Wars (1977)

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I got this list off of www.IMDB.com

It's the top-ten movies of all time as voted on by the users of the website. I took out the foreign films, as most of us haven't seen them.

My vote, "Star Wars"...with "Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring" a very close second...

"Dr. Strangelove" would be my third choice...

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Seven Samurai all the way. I'll bet maybe only 2% of this board have even seen it also... :(

If I had to choose just from that list, then Citizen Kane all the way.

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've only seen one of the movies listed (Shawshank Redemption) and parts of one other (the Godfather).

I need to go over to Chappy's house :)

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Seven Samurai all the way. I'll bet maybe only 2% of this board have even seen it also... :(

If I had to choose just from that list, then Citizen Kane all the way.

Great film. Kurasawa is a true master of the art.

Maybe its me, and maybe its because it was my first foray into Kurasawa, but I still prefer Ran to Seven Samurai.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Star Wars is leading?????? Goes to show the age of this board, I guess. In the pantheon of film history, Star Wars doesnt even stiff the top ten. Maybe not even the top 25...

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
By the way, this list is in desending order ("GodFather" being number 1) according to the user poll on IMDB.com.

"Star Wars" may have been poorly acted, but it had a redefining effect on American culture.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess. And obviously so by the list generated by users of IMDB, but from a purely filmic sense, Star Wars doesnt hold a candle to the classics.

It was grounbreaking in effects and such, but whatever. You need good adcting, and an intelligent screenplay as well as effects to be considered in my book. But then, thats why its MY book, and not EVERYBODY'S book.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by schutd
I guess. And obviously so by the list generated by users of IMDB, but from a purely filmic sense, Star Wars doesnt hold a candle to the classics.

It was grounbreaking in effects and such, but whatever. You need good adcting, and an intelligent screenplay as well as effects to be considered in my book. But then, thats why its MY book, and not EVERYBODY'S book.

True...but "Star Wars" is the classic example of "Space Opera".

Heck, "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "the Day The Earth Stood Still" are the best examples of what Science-Fiction should be, an example of the future of technology and how it effects the "Human-Condition". Both are also much finer films (in a critic's sense) than the enitre "Star Wars" franchise.

But "Star Wars" was a film that came in at just the right time. The tale of Luke Skywalker fits right into Joseph Campbell's (author of "The Power of Myth" and "The Hero with a Thousand Faces") mythos of heros. "Star Wars" captured the imagination of most to such a point that it was a spirtual allegory to those who saw it.

Ironic that later, well after the successes of the original "Star Wars" triology and "Indiana Jones" series, George Lucas says that was his intent with both film series. He says that he wanted to re-introduce the "Hero Myth" back into American culture.

That is a tough pill to swallow...I believe it was just a shamless attempt to put some substance into his super-successful, yet lacking in content, film-franchises.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But, Ken, you are basing your assertions on the EFFECT of the film, not the film itself. That's the problem--you ask for the best film of all time, not the film with the most influence.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My vote would be:

Braveheart or Dead Poet's Society.

Probably Braveheart.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A few of these movies are only known for their special effects and story, while others are known for their razorsharp acting and I am not sure they belong in the same poll.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris_Sanders
My vote would be:

Braveheart or Dead Poet's Society.

Probably Braveheart.

Both are interesting and valid choice Chris. I love Braveheart as well, but now that I've seen it a ton of time, I have to say that it isn't as good as I originally thought--it's basically a very structured film: Slow, battle, slow, battle, slow. There is very little substance, even though the battle scenes are incredible.

In fact, the best character in the entire movie is probably Angus McFayden, who plays Robert the Bruce. Out of every character in the film, only he goes through any kind of change.

Of course, the film was written by Randall Wallace, who really isn't a very good writer to begin with.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Of course, the film was written by Randall Wallace, who really isn't a very good writer to begin with.

Pearl Harbor clinched this thought in my opinion

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Titanic gets my vote :thumbup:

J/K

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
Pearl Harbor clinched this thought in my opinion

Oh yeah, Pearl Harbor. I was thinking more along the lines of The Man in the Iron Mask.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdamien13
Taxi Driver.

Great film, but not even Scorsese's best... :D

Raging Bull
Last Temptation of Christ
Taxi Driver

(in that order) :D

:thumbup:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Both Lord of the Rings movies in the Top 10? Come on!

This is just like the debate over which sports teams were the best of all-time. People almost always vote for teams that they grew up watching.

I'm surprised The Matrix: Reloaded didn't make the list. :rolleyes:

Sorry, Mike. :D

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe they are newer, but they have to be considering in the Top 50 at least of all-time...I would think.

The movies are mega-hits, people love them, they are well-made, well-acted and made breakthroughs in technology...

I think they are worthy of the Top 50 at least.

Mike

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
Maybe they are newer, but they have to be considering in the Top 50 at least of all-time...I would think.

The movies are mega-hits, people love them, they are well-made, well-acted and made breakthroughs in technology...

Mike

I'll go along with that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike

Mike

I could probably come up with 50 movies that are better than Fellowship.