Best Deep Ball Throwers in the NFL

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/2019-20-deep-ball-project

1. Kyler Murray (Arizona Cardinals)
You must be registered for see images attach

A quarterback that wasn’t even in the NFL a year ago is the most accurate deep passer on the 2019-20 Deep Ball Project.

The NFL’s new short king, to say Kyler Murray was sensational as a deep passer in 2019 is a vast understatement. He was more accurate than the highest ranked deep passer in 2018 (Andrew Luck, 60.0%), which shouldn’t be accomplished in year #1 but somehow has.

Following in former Oklahoma teammate Baker Mayfield’s footsteps was not easy to do in college, but Murray not only thrived in his final season but showcased a high level of quality as a rookie in the pros as well. A large part of his appeal comes from (wouldn’t you know it) his deep passing ability.

Murray was the most accurate passer on throws of 36-40 yards, 41+ yards, in the shotgun, in the pocket, and was easily the most accurate quarterback under pressure. That he was even able to be accurate on 90 percent of his passes against edge pressure is wild.

The only area where Murray failed to reach an above average ranking was under center, but that doesn’t matter at all when he only threw three passes there. He threw well over 900 yards downfield, and ranked inside the top 10 on 15 of the 18 deep categories.

Keep in mind this was with a offensive line that while improved still has plenty of issues, as well as a receiving corps that needs help and a lot of help fast. A god awful defense made matters worse for the Cardinals, but Murray did his best to keep the team in games despite their 5-10-1 finish. Whether he threw to his left, the middle, or to his right, Murray was beyond phenomenal in touch.

It’s no secret that I’m a massive fan of Murray. His talent levels are off the charts and he has the highest deep accuracy I’ve ever charted from a rookie quarterback. His ability to throw across the field and inhuman levels of athleticism on the run are just impossible to not love, let alone fully appreciate at the very least.

Regardless of the level of talent Murray has around him in 2020, I think he’s going to do special things in this league. He’s an extremely smart, poised, discipline pocket passer already, and of course his play outside the pocket needs no introduction. I really do think he has the talent to be a top 3 quarterback one day, and a big reason is his otherworldly deep accuracy.

It’s safe to say that there’s few things I’m looking forward to as much as Murray’s sophomore season in the NFL.

Best Throw (Week 1 vs. Detroit, Larry Fitzgerald)

Absolute filth on this throw to Larry Fitzgerald. Filth.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Jeff Blake to Carl Pickens & Darnay Scott was absolutely beautiful to watch. That ball would go out of the tv screen, once it left his hand and only come back into view as Pickens or Scott were running under it for the catch.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, I'm on the KM bandwagon, but I'll take...oh, let's see, Patrick Mahomes at #1.

Fair enough! However the difference is Mahomes has WRs running absolutely free through the secondary most Sunday’s while K1s were mostly covered save a couple deep catches by Kirk in TB.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Incredible deep ball throwers and accuracy deep are two very different things. Lots of guys throw a pretty deep ball, but cannot hit the ocean from the beach. I’d take guys like Manning, Aikman, and Warner over any of the current rocket launchers. If the stats say Murray is accurate deep, I tend to believe it. My issue is that K2 didn’t let him go deep often enough last year. Hopefully they let out the leash this year so he can show off that accuracy. I don’t want to see Checkdown Charlie again. We need more chunk plays.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Incredible deep ball throwers and accuracy deep are two very different things. Lots of guys throw a pretty deep ball, but cannot hit the ocean from the beach. I’d take guys like Manning, Aikman, and Warner over any of the current rocket launchers. If the stats say Murray is accurate deep, I tend to believe it. My issue is that K2 didn’t let him go deep often enough last year. Hopefully they let out the leash this year so he can show off that accuracy. I don’t want to see Checkdown Charlie again. We need more chunk plays.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There's been some good ones through the yrs. Marino to Duper & Clayton was fun to watch. Fouts was damn good at it also. Lomax to Green was a treat for us Cardinal fans. Carson Palmer was very accurate throwing the deep ball. Warner was no slouch either.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Warren Moon was an incredible deep ball thrower.
I actually think thats the comparison for Kyler. At least what he should strive for.

I dont see Russell Wilson type scrambling ability. However, in terms of letting it rip from the pocket I see shades of Moon.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Watching the game film on game pass there are a lot of open wrs deep that Kyler didnt see. So some of that is on him getting better at reading defenses. I do hope Kliff lets him be more aggressive as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose