Best #1 pick for 3-4 Defense

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by TheCardFan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. The Kraken

The Kraken Registered

Couldn't be any worse than watching a 43 team drop a DE into the flat or hook to facilitate a zone blitz (common practice for aggressive 43 teams)...

2. Veer

Veer Registered

There are more exotic 3-4 defenses where all linebackers must be able to drop into coverage. Mainly this is used when having no dominant OLB, so you can blitz from all angles and make it hard on the QB to guess who will drop or rush.

On the flip side, a more conventional system with 2 stud edge rushers in the OLB roles is also possible.

Before Chandler Jones got here, we were more of the former. With Chandler Jones being an elite pass rusher, we get home with a 4 man rush much more often than previously, which points towards the latter approach. If we indeed draft Bosa, our 4 man rush will be deadly. So we would basically be a 3-4 defense on paper but in terms of going after the QB acting like a classic 4 man rush.

3. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

I kind of feel Golden is going to want to much money and will bolt. Will Bosa replace him? Bosa and Chandler could reek havoc. Who would be our inside lb’s? Bynes and Reddick/ Buchanan? What if Golden stays? Does that change our thoughts/ needs? Many of these questions will be answered through free agency.

Cuozzo likes this.
  4. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

That's quite a stamp of approval.

5. BW52

BW52 Registered

Bosa is a good pass rusher and a solid DE versus the run.He isn`t just a paasrusher..he plays both well.everything I have seen and read says he can play 4-3 DE or 3-4 DE.The choice is simple..take the best defensive guy.

6. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

He is not an elite bender like Von Miller (also doesn't have VM speed/quickness) but he is a double digit sack guy and better at run support. He has better hands and a great motor.

BW52 likes this.
  7. juza76

juza76 Registered

Josh Allen 42 starts 220tackle 42tackle for a loss 32 sacks

Nick Bosa 29 starts 77tackle 29tackle for loss 17.5 sacks

The tackles difference is huge
    Josh Allen cover much more field!!!

Another point, Josh Allen is faster, without injury history, more suited to play 3/4 olb

Why bosa should be considered ahead of him?

daves likes this.
  8. Finito

Finito Registered

Allen is really really good. Bosa is a stud but like I've said on here before it's the two season ending injuries he's already had concern me.

daves likes this.
  9. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Allen is still kind of raw & lacks good hand usage. That goes a very long way. College stats be damned. I actually like Brian Burns over him.

Ohcrap75 likes this.
  10. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

Forget scheme and skill-set for a moment.

What do we need to do to stop the run better?

What do we need to do to better cover short slant patterns and reduce opponents' 3rd down conversions?

11. Lagerfilled

Lagerfilled Professional Tailgater

Ummm... hire Todd Bowles. Oh wait!!!

12. Ohcrap75

Ohcrap75 Registered

The best comp I have seen with Bosa is Jared Allen. Both are very good, but not elite athletes. They have excellent strength, effort and hand usage. Basically, they both just know how to get to the QB. Much like Chandler Jones, can cover, but just let them do what they do best (KISS)

BW52 likes this.
  13. wa52lz

wa52lz Registered

I think you're right about him looking for big money, hopefully he doesn't get it and we can get him back for a decent price. However, if we do draft Bosa to play OLB, not sure if he'll think a rotation job here will be the path to a big contract. Then again you'd hope the new DC would be able to get all three of them (CJ, Bosa and MG) on the field at the same time in situations. Maybe he'd benefit from the attention the other two will draw and parlay that into nice sack numbers.

A quote from Golden, “I know who I am and I know what I can do,” Golden said. “I can play football and I can make plays. I’m a big-time player. I can help teams win big games, like I’ve been doing since I’ve been here. I’m going to get back to myself. I’ve just got to grind it out and get healthy.”

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/impending-free-agent-markus-golden-i-m-a-big-time-player

14. Twist18

Twist18 Registered

Calais was an awesome 3-4 de

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

TheCardFan likes this.
  15. AZCrazy

AZCrazy Registered

Maybe with one or two shrewd picks on defense, we'd have guys playing in their proper positions and could take the existing talent back to the heights it enjoyed a couple years ago.
    Gunter and Nkdemiche are more ideally suited to play DE than interior line, so naturally we have them over the guards this year. They're too 'small' at 290-295 to be interior DL. They can be effective farther out (they're not freakazoids like Aaron Donald, but then, who is?)
    Reddick and Bucannon have been used so out of position its hard to see where they fit in.
    Keep Golden, make him your interior beast like Ray Lewis. Makes a lot more sense than trying to put Buc there.
    All you really need is a quality CB2 and a big meathead NT.

........Nkdemiche............Meat..............Pierre...........
    Bosa............Golden...............Reddick............Jones

CB2........Baker............................SS..............Peterson

Maybe if Dexter Lawrence lasts till #33, he'd be a monster NT.