Ben Patrick Suspended Four Games

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=872552&nid=4249517&fhn=1

Arizona Cardinals TE Ben Patrick has been suspended four games by the NFL for violating the league's policy on banned substances, a league source told Scout.com.

The substance, Aderol, acts like a stimulant and is usually used by college students to help stay awake.

Patrick will be able to still practice and play during the preseason, but will miss the first four regular season games. He's eligible to return to play for the team's Week Six game at the Seattle Seahawks. Arizona has a bye in Week Four.

"Ben made an innocent mistake in taking the banned substance in question one time. He honestly took it to stay awake on a drive back to Phoenix from Flagstaff one evening during the 2008 NFL season. He's never been in trouble, is very remorseful about this incident and eager to serve the penalty and move forward with the Cardinals," Patrick's agent, Kevin Omell, said Monday when contacted about the story.
Patrick was originally selected by the Cardinals in the seventh round of the 2007 draft.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks. Sounds like a substance that shouldnt even be banned to me.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Aderol is another name for Ritalin, used for treating ADHD. This is a banned substance??

Being a psychology student, I cannot endorse this. BS suspension.

Reaction score
Four game suspension - isn't that the penalty for a second incident? If so, his agents cover story doesn't wash...

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Would this be more related to the Vikings player that died rather than performance enhancing? I know it's a different chemical but it seems to be more along those lines. 4 games sure seems steep from the info so far.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Four game suspension - isn't that the penalty for a second incident? If so, his agents cover story doesn't wash...

If his story didnt wash it would/will come out. I dont think all of those players inculding the two Minny DT's were all on a second offense when they got 4 games. But I could be mistaken.

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
I used to take Aderol for ADHD and I played high school football. I don't think it did anything at all to make me a better player. It helps you pay attention but doesn't do not one thing besides that.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
What a absolute crock. I took Aderrall in college from time to time and all it does is help you focus.

That sucks for Ben. I was hoping he would be the TE to step up and take the job by the horns.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Aderol is another name for Ritalin, used for treating ADHD. This is a banned substance??

Being a psychology student, I cannot endorse this. BS suspension.

Adderall is not another name for Ritalin. Two separate drugs and compounds. It is used for generally the same thing but Adderall is stronger and lasts longer. It was actually found when they saw the side effects of a weight loss drug in the 90's called Obetrol. It is a stimulant and like Ritalin, drug treatment centers will use it on Meth addicts to help with their withdraws and cravings. Because of that both can be very addictive and can be abused if not done properly.

It is also a stimulant and a lot of athletes were using it for drastic weight loss, appetite suppression, and energy to workout for hours on end, in some cases all day workouts. All not good for your body especially athletes.

It is banned by most major sports including, the olympics, boxing, and MMA.

Also note that it is not a banned substance in the NFL if it is prescribed by a doctor for its intended use and administered properly, because of the issues of it being a stimulant that can become abused like a meth addict or over used as a form of drastic weight loss or performance enhancement.

Last edited:

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a absolute crock. I took Aderrall in college from time to time and all it does is help you focus.

That sucks for Ben. I was hoping he would be the TE to step up and take the job by the horns.

If they held the "all the drugs I took in college" strategy to be a valid excuse, then it would certainly reduce the amounts of infractions the NFL could conceivably enforce.

:)

JTS

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With our TE corps in shambles, last thing we need is a TE suspended for 4 games. Should've taken caffeine or spend the night at a motel.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
"Four game suspension" = Can play week 1 of the regular season? :shrug:

EDIT: Never mind! It says he can play preseason games :rollseyes:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Four game suspension" = Can play week 1 of the regular season? :shrug:

EDIT: Never mind! It says he can play preseason games :rollseyes

Negative pre seaon does not count for suspensions.

TJ

Reaction score
Adderall is not another name for Ritalin. Two separate drugs and compounds. It is used for generally the same thing but Adderall is stronger and lasts longer. It was actually found when they saw the side effects of a weight loss drug in the 90's called Obetrol. It is a stimulant and like Ritalin, drug treatment centers will use it on Meth addicts to help with their withdraws and cravings. Because of that both can be very addictive and can be abused if not done properly.

It is also a stimulant and a lot of athletes were using it for drastic weight loss, appetite suppression, and energy to workout for hours on end, in some cases all day workouts. All not good for your body especially athletes.

It is banned by most major sports including, the olympics, boxing, and MMA.

Also note that it is not a banned substance in the NFL if it is prescribed by a doctor for its intended use and administered properly, because of the issues of it being a stimulant that can become abused like a meth addict or over used as a form of drastic weight loss or performance enhancement.

Wow Joe, that was a waste of reading as almost everything you just stated is factually incorrect.

My wife, a med student and I, a doctorate student in Clinical Psychology do studies on ADHD and different medications for treating it for students and adults. They are pharmacologically the same drug, different name. You say tomato, I say toMato, but I think I am a little more qualified than you to answer such questions.

Stick to being the resident capologist.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adderall is banned?

Makes no sense. If a doctor prescribes it then he is under the care of a physician.

I don't understand why a legally prescribed drug that gives no performance advantage is on the no-no list.

TJ

Reaction score
Adderall is banned?

Makes no sense. If a doctor prescribes it then he is under the care of a physician.

I don't understand why a legally prescribed drug that gives no performance advantage is on the no-no list.

Its like the Williams guys in Minnesota. They are banned for using a diuretic. Completely legal, but on the banned list for being performance enhacing.

However, the exception to the rule is that they HAVE to submit a doctor's note stating that this is for a medical condition, they can be medically exempt. The drug Patrick is using is easy to get on the street. But a doctor won't prescribe it, unless you have a psychological disorder. Not just because you need to stay awake.

Obviously, anabolic steroids, cocaine, etc. are unequivocally banned.

Last edited:

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Is this something that can be purchased in over the counter pills? I mean, did he take some trucker's choice on a long trip home to stay awake and it had a banned substance in it?

If not, where the heck did he get a prescribed substance if it was a spur of the moment, gotta stay awake situation? Something doesn't add up.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Its like the Williams guys in Minnesota. They are banned for using a diuretic. Completely legal, but on the banned list for being performance enhacing.

However, the exception to the rule is that they HAVE to submit a doctor's note stating that this is for a medical condition, they can be medically exempt. The drug Patrick is using is easy to get on the street. But a doctor won't prescribe it, unless you have a psychological disorder. Not just because you need to stay awake.

Obviously, anabolic steroids, cocaine, etc. are unequivocally banned.

Your point is well taken. Why is it, and we see it all the time, people who have such potential knowingly make the type of decisions that affect their careers.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Regardless if you agree with it being banned or not, it's the rules. Why can 95% of the league comprehend the banned substance list and others not? It's not hard, I understand they push the list pretty hard.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spin and more spin. Patrick took a banned substance and got caught. If he had been a Dallas player, we'd be having a fun time ridiculing him and his team.

Ben Patrick has no excuse. None. We don't need someone that stupid on our team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA