Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beauty and the Beast

Release date: March 17, 2017
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures
Director: Bill Condon
MPAA Rating: PG (for some action violence, peril and frightening images)
Screenwriter: Stephen Chbosky
Genre: Drama, Romance

Starring: Kevin Kline, Emma Watson, Sir Ian McKellen, Josh Gad, Luke Evans, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Dan Stevens, Audra McDonald, Stanley Tucci, Ewan McGregor

Plot Summary: Disney will release "Beauty and the Beast" in 3D on March 17, 2017. The beloved tale will be retold for the big screen with a modern live-action lens and the help of transformative CG magic. Emma Watson and Dan Stevens will star as Belle and the Beast/Prince respectively, and Luke Evans will play the role of Gaston. Emma Thompson has joined the cast as Mrs. Potts and Kevin Kline as Belle's father, Maurice.

Eight-time Oscar-winner Alan Menken, who won two Academy Awards for the 1991 animated classic, will score the film, which will feature new recordings of the original songs in addition to several new songs written by Menken and Sir Tim Rice. Bill Condon will direct from a script by Stephen Chbosky, and the film will be produced by Mandeville Films' David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman. Production begins in May at Shepperton Studios in London.

You must be registered for see images attach

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wife and I saw this today, and even though we don't like musicals much, we both give this 4.5 out of 5 stars. Definitely some Oscar nominations here, including cinematography, special effects and music. And Emma Watson can SING.

Top notch Disney family fare, with some inferred grownup humor as well as some homages. It's a PG rated movie, but should really be a G.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the family to see this.

I thought it was OK but the Kids and wife loved it. With so much CGI and pretty much an identical story as the original Disney cartoon, it didn't feel like much of a live action film to me. Also I didn't like Kevin Kline as Belle's father. The new songs sucked IMO and the final fight seemed kind of lame.

However I did like Josh Gad as LaFou. He at least was entertaining.

It wasn't a bad movie, it just fell flat for me at points for me.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Took the family to see this.

I thought it was OK but the Kids and wife loved it. With so much CGI and pretty much an identical story as the original Disney cartoon, it didn't feel like much of a live action film to me. Also I didn't like Kevin Kline as Belle's father. The new songs sucked IMO and the final fight seemed kind of lame.

However I did like Josh Gad as LaFou. He at least was entertaining.

It wasn't a bad movie, it just fell flat for me at points for me.

Agree. First, they stuck entirely too closely to the original script. Some of the lines just felt, IDK corny and very unnatural. You know like it worked in a cartoon but not when a real person is saying it. The commitment to the script made it feel like a high school play at times. Instead of speaking naturally, everyone was reciting their lines, and they are all classic lines to boot...

The beast just didn't work for me. Him and Emma had zero chemistry which I know is weird to say in a CGI movie, but there was just no way I was buying that she could fall in love with him. I mean the whole thing is Stockholm syndrome anyways, but still lol. It just felt like they had more bonding moments in the cartoon, this one it was just like annnnnd she loves him.

Ok, I hesitate to post this one because I love Emma like a niece, she'll always be little Hermione Granger to me, and for the most part I thought her singing was really good, but did anyone else feel like it had somekind of effect or autotune on it? It sounded like Hatsune Miku at times...

All in all I didn't like it very much, my oldest kindof liked it. Neither of us hated it. Worth seeing I'd say but lower your expectations.

Last edited:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. First, they stuck entirely too closely to the original script. Some of the lines just felt, IDK corny and very unnatural. You know like it worked in a cartoon but not when a real person is saying it. The commitment to the script made it feel like a high school play at times. Instead of speaking naturally, everyone was reciting their lines, and they are all classic lines to boot...

The beast just didn't work for me. Him and Emma had zero chemistry which I know is weird to say in a CGI movie, but there was just no way I was buying that she could fall in love with him. I mean the whole thing is Stockholm syndrome anyways, but still lol. It just felt like they had more bonding moments in the cartoon, this one it was just like annnnnd she loves him.

Ok, I hesitate to post this one because I love Emma like a niece, she'll always be little Hermione Granger to me, and for the most part I thought her singing was really good, but did anyone else feel like it had somekind of effect or autotune on it? It sounded like Hatsune Miku at times...

All in all I didn't like it very much, my oldest kindof liked it. Neither of us hated it. Worth seeing I'd say but lower your expectations.

Sure there was some autotuning involved...... just like they did Idina Menzel in Frozen.... but it sounded to me like only minor pitch correction, as by all accounts, Emma really CAN sing (we already knew Idina could sing). It was easy to pick up because her pitch was perfect on all songs and NOBODY sings perfectly, although a few can get close (Streisand comes to mind).

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Sure there was some autotuning involved...... just like they did Idina Menzel in Frozen.... but it sounded to me like only minor pitch correction, as by all accounts, Emma really CAN sing (we already knew Idina could sing). It was easy to pick up because her pitch was perfect on all songs and NOBODY sings perfectly, although a few can get close (Streisand comes to mind).

Just to be clear, not criticizing Emma, just the producers or sound engineers, because they overdid it, and I don't think she needed it at all. Infact, it was distracting from the fact that she really can sing.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, not criticizing Emma, just the producers or sound engineers, because they overdid it, and I don't think she needed it at all. Infact, it was distracting from the fact that she really can sing.

Usually, I prefer non-perfection.... it tends to just feel better for the audience......

Here's an example of a near-perfect live performance. Listen very carefully and you will hear some imperfections, but the net result is.... WOW!!!!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow I was just looking around Box Office mojo and saw this movie grossed over 500 MILLION domestic! That's insane. I remember it being really difficult to get into, but I had no idea it did that well.

Pretty much seals the deal that these live action adaptations aren't going anywhere! I know Stout will be excited about that. lol

It's crazy tho, this movie crushed GOG2 by 100+ million.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just watching this again on VUDU.

Seriously, the sound engineer on this film pisses me off. The autotune on Emma Watsons voice for the first 1/3 of the movie is so annoying. I dont think she needed it, and they didn't do it to any of the other characters.

I'm sorry I know some of you really like this, and I did too for the most part, but man, the Autotune or Reverb effect they added to her voice is so absurd. I dont understand. It's like I'm listening to Hatsune Miku. Either her natural voice is the worst thing ever or this sound engineer needs to be fired. Because it is so completely distracting to me that she sounds like a Robot that I cant focus on the film.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watching this again on VUDU.

Seriously, the sound engineer on this film pisses me off. The autotune on Emma Watsons voice for the first 1/3 of the movie is so annoying. I dont think she needed it, and they didn't do it to any of the other characters.

I'm sorry I know some of you really like this, and I did too for the most part, but man, the Autotune or Reverb effect they added to her voice is so absurd. I dont understand. It's like I'm listening to Hatsune Miku. Either her natural voice is the worst thing ever or this sound engineer needs to be fired. Because it is so completely distracting to me that she sounds like a Robot that I cant focus on the film.

I have no clue what you are talking about. Have this film on Blu Ray. My daughter watches this all the time. It's nowhere near what you are saying IMO.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
The wife and I saw this today, and even though we don't like musicals much, we both give this 4.5 out of 5 stars. Definitely some Oscar nominations here, including cinematography, special effects and music. And Emma Watson can SING.

Top notch Disney family fare, with some inferred grownup humor as well as some homages. It's a PG rated movie, but should really be a G.
Not a big fan of musicals either, but I enjoyed it as well. Emma crushed it.

I didn't pick up on any of the sound issues; sounded pretty nice to me.