Bear market thread

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Western Font, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Yes, that’s a valid point. Not all general comments fit every situation. However, that said, if you didn’t jump out at the first signs it’s too late. If you’re in your 60s I’m hoping you intend to live for at least another 15 years, hopefully more. You’re going to have to rebuild your nest egg. If you’re retired or near retirement that means you don’t have much in the way of savings coming your way. So you have to make your money work for you. You need to participate in whatever rebound occurs.

2. Folster

Folster The system doesn't work.

You gotta think the market will be running out of sellers at some point soon. The S&P was down 30% from its high.

CNBC cited a few big hedge fund managers have covered their short positions today. Which suggests smart money might feel we are at or near the bottom.

3. Western Font

Western Font Registered

I know the stock market isn’t the economy, but it’s hard to imagine this being the bottom when the peak of infections is some distance off and Q2 at minimum is guaranteed to be a disaster.

UncleChris and Kel Varnsen like this.
  4. Folster

Folster The system doesn't work.

For perspective, the S&P 500 fell 38% in 2008. It just fell 30% in 3 weeks. I think investor hysteria has found the floor much quicker this time around.

dscher likes this.
  5. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

Stocks getting hammered again today. Could fall under 19,000 soon.

6. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I was talking about buying 3X short SDOW awhile back, i didn't do it but I was posting about it here. For reference if you bought it in late Feb, which I think was when i first posted, might have been a week or so later, today you'd be up about 120%. It was around 35 then, it's 81 today.

Risky as hell of course which is why I didn't buy it.

7. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

If only you were a Senator you could have invested confidently.

8. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

DJIA is down 1,000 points now. Every time Trump talks...the market collapses.

elindholm likes this.
  9. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

He needs to keep talking but it would be best if he says little and let's the others do their thing. The guy can't help himself but to make shite worse.

10. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

CNN has a Dow tracker as he’s talking. If it wasn’t so depressing to watch the numbers falling in real time as he talks it would be hysterical and high comedy.

Russ Smith likes this.
  11. DWKB

DWKB Registered

He has the sycophants talk more than the experts and the information they choose to share with their short time is how wonderful a leader POTUS is.

Then comes the Q&A and **** explodes.

12. Western Font

Western Font Registered

Futures were down after the Dems blocked the stimulus bill, then up again after the Fed announced its debt buying, but both the Dow and S&P are dropping again in the daily session. Below 19,000 and 2300 respectively. I imagine there will be an attempted rally when the stimulus bill does go through, but we also have job numbers to come on Thursday, which should be brutal.

13. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

To be fair, the Dems didn't block a stimulus bill, the Senate worked with them for days on a bill the House had already done, then 8pm sat night, Mitch walked in, pulled the plug and took all the GOP guys home. They came back the next day with a "new bill" and told the Dems to sign it, before they could even read it. The parts the Dems did see contained none of the guarantees for people that they had agreed to the prior night before Mitch intervened.

Saying the Dems stopped it is a bit misleading in that unless we believe Mitch and McCarthy and their grandstanding last night, they tried to force the Dems to give them a blank check with no oversight, when the Dems said no, they blamed the Dems, which was of course their plan all along.

14. Western Font

Western Font Registered

Agreed: in my mind I meant they blocked a bad bill, and I'm glad they did not bow to pressure.

Russ Smith likes this.
  15. Western Font

Western Font Registered

Back on the roller coaster. Big rally this morning as a stimulus agreement approaches: Dow over 20k. My armchair opinion is that a lot of retail investors who feel they missed their chance to sell last week are going to do so now. We'll need a few follow-through days to be convinced it's a new baseline, and again, the jobless numbers aren't going to be rosy later this week.

UncleChris likes this.