Be honest

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Had we made Rolle and Dansby the highest paid players at their positions how many here would be screaming at Graves for overpaying them right now? If the cap does come back some day NYG and Miami will be screwed by these contracts. If the cap is gone for good the Cards are sadly going to struggle unless the team is sold to Bill Gates. That's just the reality of the situation.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Had we made Rolle and Dansby the highest paid players at their positions how many here would be screaming at Graves for overpaying them right now? If the cap does come back some day NYG and Miami will be screwed by these contracts. If the cap is gone for good the Cards are sadly going to struggle unless the team is sold to Bill Gates. That's just the reality of the situation.

I agree with you but we also can't stand pat and congratulate ourselves for not overpaying. We have to replace the players we have lost. Whether it is Foote, Weatherspoon, Clark, Sharper or others we go after we need to be aggressive. We can't rely solely on the draft. A mixture of the two could make us stronger defensively next year in my opinion. Not like we were the Doomsday defense last year.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
I would NOT be happy if we made Rolle the highest paid safety...The dude was a bust at CB till he was moved to FS. As for Dansby I still wouldn't be happy that he was paid that much but I would understand because we don't have much players at the WILB that would make his replacement hurt less but I would be happy that he was still here.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Couple of things. I wasn't happy about losing either of them, especially Los. I would not have bashed Graves for overpaying because I don't over react like so many others do.

Even if a cap does come back the Dolphins and Giants are hardly screwed due to the contracts they gave Los and Rolle. If the Redskins can avoid cap hell then these little contracts (in comparison) will hardly be felt.

Cards will have it tougher then some teams but think of the Steelers and Colts to see how small market teams not only survive but thrive without Gates money to throw at FA's.

Even the Yankees don't win it all every year. ;)

OP
OP
D

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Couple of things. I wasn't happy about losing either of them, especially Los. I would not have bashed Graves for overpaying because I don't over react like so many others do.

Even if a cap does come back the Dolphins and Giants are hardly screwed due to the contracts they gave Los and Rolle. If the Redskins can avoid cap hell then these little contracts (in comparison) will hardly be felt.

Cards will have it tougher then some teams but think of the Steelers and Colts to see how small market teams not only survive but thrive without Gates money to throw at FA's.

Even the Yankees don't win it all every year. ;)

Oh right I'm not saying we'd never win. Just that we couldn't be a perennial winner in an uncapped league IMO. Same reason the small teams win occasionally, but the Yankees seem to be in the playoffs every year.

As for Dansby and Rolle's contracts, if they were the only high paid players on their teams it wouldn't be a big deal. The Giants have Eli Manning over paid as well. They also have lots of young talent on both lines that will be due extensions soon enough.

Dolphins have to re-up Ronnie Brown and Chad Henne before too long. You just can't afford to have guys grossly overpaid when there is a cap.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I thought I heard both deals were very front loaded, so both teams may get caught with their hands in the cookie jar to some extent if a new cap is in place next year

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I agree with you but we also can't stand pat and congratulate ourselves for not overpaying. We have to replace the players we have lost. Whether it is Foote, Weatherspoon, Clark, Sharper or others we go after we need to be aggressive. We can't rely solely on the draft. A mixture of the two could make us stronger defensively next year in my opinion. Not like we were the Doomsday defense last year.

This

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
What's the obsession with the cap number? You can pay your best players and stay under the cap. Every other team keeps their best players, Is there something different for the Cards? The Giants and Dolphins will both be ok when the cap comes back and still have Ronni Brown,et al on the team. You know what kind of teams worry and struggle with the cap, losing teams.

Did Reggie Bush's play last year justify an $8 million roster bonus? No, but he's still a Saint.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh right I'm not saying we'd never win. Just that we couldn't be a perennial winner in an uncapped league IMO. Same reason the small teams win occasionally, but the Yankees seem to be in the playoffs every year.

Agreed. I just don't think the NFL will go all MLB on us.

As for Dansby and Rolle's contracts, if they were the only high paid players on their teams it wouldn't be a big deal. The Giants have Eli Manning over paid as well. They also have lots of young talent on both lines that will be due extensions soon enough.

I still submit the Skins as evidence that it is very hard to blow your cap to far out.

Dolphins have to re-up Ronnie Brown and Chad Henne before too long. You just can't afford to have guys grossly overpaid when there is a cap.

These two won't sniff what Manning & Wayne are getting. Now throw in Freeney & Sanders & now Brackett.

We all thought Fitz was getting crazy high money. Didn't take long for that to be just a good contract.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
What's the obsession with the cap number? You can pay your best players and stay under the cap. Every other team keeps their best players, Is there something different for the Cards? The Giants and Dolphins will both be ok when the cap comes back and still have Ronni Brown,et al on the team. You know what kind of teams worry and struggle with the cap, losing teams.

Did Reggie Bush's play last year justify an $8 million roster bonus? No, but he's still a Saint.

:thumbup:

OP
OP
D

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score

We did keep our best players. Fitz and ADub are still on the team. We paid a premium to keep Warner last year. Dansby and definitely Rolle were not our best players. I promise you Rolle was not anywhere near our best player.

Your argument about teams worrying about the cap just is false. Pitt likes to stay below it and yet they are consistent winners. Washington is the team that is consistently overpaying guys yet look where that has got them. Saints last year didn't really have that many high priced players to be honest. Outside of Bush how many $8 mill plus guys did they have? Teams that don't manage the cap well are not consistent winners this is a fact. Could Graves be more creative in managing it? Hell yes, but that doesn't justify making Rolle the highest paid safety in the league.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm upset Graves apparently offered Rolle that ridiculous contract that was similar to the Giants. Dansby I would have liked to have him back but think the Cards will be fine without him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We did keep our best players. Fitz and ADub are still on the team. We paid a premium to keep Warner last year. Dansby and definitely Rolle were not our best players. I promise you Rolle was not anywhere near our best player.

Your argument about teams worrying about the cap just is false. Pitt likes to stay below it and yet they are consistent winners. Washington is the team that is consistently overpaying guys yet look where that has got them. Saints last year didn't really have that many high priced players to be honest. Outside of Bush how many $8 mill plus guys did they have? Teams that don't manage the cap well are not consistent winners this is a fact. Could Graves be more creative in managing it? Hell yes, but that doesn't justify making Rolle the highest paid safety in the league.

I'm really not that concerned about Rolle. For the contract that we were offering Rolle and the deal that he eventually accepted, I'm glad that he's gone. He's good, but he's not great.

As for Dansby, I'm pissed. He's the best LB to reach FA in a long time, and that's why he's paid more than any ILB ever. That's what happens. But Dansby was clearly better than Adrian Wilson this season. Even only playing with one shoulder, Dansby was better than Wilson. We'll see how good Wilson is this year without Dansby to take his coverage responsibilities.

My question is who are the guys on the team making tons of money right now? ADub just got a new deal, and Fitz just got a new deal, but besides that, no one's making silly amounts of money. The Cards could have afforded to have another big contract, and Dansby hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. You can afford to pay three max players on offense and three on defense. We have one on each side of the ball right now.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1

OP
OP
D

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really not that concerned about Rolle. For the contract that we were offering Rolle and the deal that he eventually accepted, I'm glad that he's gone. He's good, but he's not great.

As for Dansby, I'm pissed. He's the best LB to reach FA in a long time, and that's why he's paid more than any ILB ever. That's what happens. But Dansby was clearly better than Adrian Wilson this season. Even only playing with one shoulder, Dansby was better than Wilson. We'll see how good Wilson is this year without Dansby to take his coverage responsibilities.

My question is who are the guys on the team making tons of money right now? ADub just got a new deal, and Fitz just got a new deal, but besides that, no one's making silly amounts of money. The Cards could have afforded to have another big contract, and Dansby hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. You can afford to pay three max players on offense and three on defense. We have one on each side of the ball right now.

I could have lived with re-signing Dansby. He would have been overpaid but not nearly as bad as Rolle, but it sounds like he had his mind made up that he was not going to stay here. Our only choice was to franchise him every year until we didn't want him anymore.