Battle: Los Angeles

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back.

Loved every freaking minute of it! The effects were top notch. The acting was pretty good. Overall HIGHLY entertaining fast paced and EXTREMELY enjoyable!

Some of the dialogue was a tad cheesy at times. But that is my only complaint. Besides the theater being packed to the rafters,.

You must be registered for see images

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Best popcorn action flick I have seen all year. Action from minute one to the last.

Sure there was some cheesy lines or two but its an action flick, wouldn't be the same without it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this one's gotten ravaged by reviewers but i have no idea what those people were expecting. it was a good, solid action movie. should do really good business.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
The is the best damn Marine propaganda flick I've seen in years!!! Great flick and with movies like that you have to expect 'the cornball effect'... :)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Loved this movie, to me it was more about the Marines (and the single air force chick) than it was about the aliens.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MULLI:

This movie is right up your wheel house what are you waiting on?

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Saw it yesterday. Pretty much kicked ass. Some silly hollywood moments, but I'd see it again in a heartbeat.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it yesterday. Pretty much kicked ass. Some silly hollywood moments, but I'd see it again in a heartbeat.

I will be seeing it in the theater one more time before it gets booted for sure.

BTW: This movie proves that Marines(and Air Force) are way better than the Army :)

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Finally a movie were the military could actually win a battle by learning about its enemy and exploiting there vulnerabilities.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be seeing it in the theater one more time before it gets booted for sure.

BTW: This movie proves that Marines(and Air Force) are way better than the Army :)

I was too tough for the air force, too smart for the marines and liked females way too much to risk a sea-going assignment.

Army Steve

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got dragged to this movie against my will, and then received apologies for it afterwards. I'm glad y'all enjoyed it, but I personally wanted to cut off the screenwriter's fingers so he/she could never write another script. I thought 2012 would be the bottom rung of my generation. Man, I was so wrong.

This is instantly MST3000 worthy.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I got dragged to this movie against my will, and then received apologies for it afterwards. I'm glad y'all enjoyed it, but I personally wanted to cut off the screenwriter's fingers so he/she could never write another script. I thought 2012 would be the bottom rung of my generation. Man, I was so wrong.

This is instantly MST3000 worthy.
Dude, now way; 2012 was God Awful and made this movie look like Saving Private Ryan.

For the type of movie it was; it was pretty good...Michael Bay sucks.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Granted, I had lower expectations after seeing the reviews but my wife and I really enjoyed it. Enough that we really don't understand why it received such bad reviews. It's an action flick, so for it's genre it was great....in fact, it might be the best alien invasion/end of the world movie I've seen.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Nonstop action, poor character development, an incomplete resolution...

But pretty good for what it was: A much grittier Independence Day.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
These movies are a guilty pleasure of mine.

This dosen't qualify as a Michael Bayish movie IMO, simply because as lacking as the plot was they actually afforded an effort to create one, which instantly dislocates it from being near a Bay type movie IMO.

I enjoyed it a lot, although I really get tired of the 1st person shooter perspective on these, it's fun for short bursts but when you get a long long scene of it I just get disoriented by it.

I liked the idea that we could just fight something without it being human to human conflict, love the alien invasion theme, they should make tons more of these and do them better.

It's just Independence day redone on the ground, the best way to do these would be if someone wrote a very good book series that started from invasion then chronicled the whole war from start to final finish.

You need some more time to develop characters and set the scene plus develop a really good plot that makes sense and if you really could do that there's some wonderful possiblities for showcasing mankinds higher qualities I think.

There are book series like this, but I've yet to see a really great one.

V was a pretty go try at one, then that one they made that Travolta movie thing out of... oh my...

I'd like to see a good balance of actual technology, as in rooms full of scientists trying desperately to decipher the alien technology coupled with on the ground action, coupled with the story of cooperation and perhaps using a smidge of highlighting some earthly villians and how obviously destructive their behavior is when put into the context of a joint effort.

Lots of stuff you can do.

Want to see it from many different angles too, would be great to do a Star Trek like theme where you tossed in representatives from all the areas of earth and follow their stories as they come together to defeat these things, and first they have to lose, that's key and so is a hail mary shot to win.

Last edited:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I saw it with my Dad last night. We both enjoyed it. I liked how they didn't show us the Aliens for about 1/4 of the movie, that always makes them more scary and everything more tense. I liked the fact that we were fighting a common enemy as a race and there were no politics involved. Finally I loved the fact that it centered on our military forces and how far these guys were willing to go to simply save a few civilians.
I LOVED the scene where they were tearing apart the Alien trying to figure out how to kill them. It was delightfully greusome and hilarous.

I also liked how they took time to aknowledge and mourn the soldiers that were killed thruout the film. It always pisses me off in movies where they show members of our military/police etc. getting killed left and right and just move on without anyone caring as though it's simple collateral damage and nobody will miss them. It's that 'who cares as long as the main character is ok I dont care who dies' mentality and I'm not a fan of it.

"Retreat? Hell we just got here!" Awesome.

Yes there was some poor acting and some stupid lines but it's an action film, those are kindof obligatory aren't they? I actually thought they spent too much time trying to develop a couple of the characters but I appreciated the effort. Like others have said, the anti Michael Bay.

Last edited:

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I saw it with my Dad last night. We both enjoyed it. I liked how they didn't show us the Aliens for about 1/4 of the movie, that always makes them more scary and everything more tense. I liked the fact that we were fighting a common enemy as a race and there were no politics involved. Finally I loved the fact that it centered on our military forces and how far these guys were willing to go to simply save a few civilians.
I LOVED the scene where they were tearing apart the Alien trying to figure out how to kill them. It was delightfully greusome and hilarous.

I also liked how they took time to aknowledge and mourn the soldiers that were killed thruout the film. It always pisses me off in movies where they show members of our military/police etc. getting killed left and right and just move on without anyone caring as though it's simple collateral damage and nobody will miss them. It's that 'who cares as long as the main character is ok I dont care who dies' mentality and I'm not a fan of it.

"Retreat? Hell we just got here!" Awesome.

Yes there was some poor acting and some stupid lines but it's an action film, those are kindof obligatory aren't they? I actually thought they spent too much time trying to develop a couple of the characters but I appreciated the effort. Like others have said, the anti Michael Bay.
2/5 was the unit the marines were in...
From the wiki-
2nd Battalion 5th Marines (2/5) is an infantry battalion in the United States Marine Corps consisting of approximately 800 Marines and Sailors. They are based out of Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California and fall under the command of the 5th Marine Regiment and the 1st Marine Division. The battalion has seen combat in World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War and the Gulf War and has deployed many times in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and the current War on Terror.
2/5 is the most highly decorated battalion in the Marine Corps and their motto, "Retreat, Hell!", comes from the French trenches of World War I, when a Marine officer named Lloyd W. Williams was ordered to retreat and replied, "Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"