Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The World's Finest
June 4, 2005
Source: IESB

Will we ever get to see Superman square off against Batman in a live action film?

According to Producer Charles Roven "It all depends on the success of Batman Begins and Superman Returns". He also did say that the current script for the project is excellent.

When will this film happen? Christian Bale told the IESB today during the Batman Begins press junket that Superman vs Batman could happen down the line but not as an immediate sequel but instead after a few more Batman solo successes.

This is an early synopsis of the Superman vs Batman film that was once planned:

"When Bruce Wayne goes out seeking bloody vengeance on the murderer of his new bride, Jennifer. Superman opposes him, fights him to the near death - then it's discovered that the guy behind Jennifer's murder is also this big baddie in Superman's circle and they unite to fight. Warner Bros. has commissioned a script from Andrew Kevin Walker ('Seven') with Wolfgang Petersen ('The Perfect Storm') directing. This is a different project from either Batman 5 or Superman 5."

Warner Bros. was considering doing "Batman vs. Superman" inititally, before deciding to develop two different individual films for the two characters. Wolfgang Peterson was attached to direct at one point. Ultimately Peterson decided to go off and direct "Troy" instead, and then "Batman vs. Superman" was shelved.

Among many of the problems in getting the film into production was getting two actors locked into the film. However, now that they have two actors who are currently playing Superman and Batman this should no longer prove to be a major obstacle.

:thumbup:

:geek:

NSD_Blonde

Who's Your Daddy, Now?
Reaction score
Thanks, BIM--my husband is going to need a carton of cigarettes when I share the good news with him!!!

:D

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard about this for a while. I don't see it happening...at least not well. They'd really need almost twice the budget for effects because getting Supes and Bats to do their things are two different Animals, I think.

Plus, that synopsis rubs me the wrong way. Wayne's wife? :barf: Also, Supes isn't okay with the revenge plan until he finds out it's one of his bad guys, too? Then he says, "Oh, okay. It's Lex Luthor. Yeah, lets get him."

Please. Go get Geoff Loeb or Joss Whedon to write the script, then we'll talk about it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan H said:
It'd be cool if they did it the way it was done in Dark Knight Returns.

I've always thought Bruce Willis would make an excellent older batman.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pariah said:

I've always thought Bruce Willis would make an excellent older batman.

Vince pulls out his notepad, puts a checkmark next to Pariah's name.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Vince pulls out his notepad, puts a checkmark next to Pariah's name.
Is that a good or a bad thing? I usually put X's next to peoples name in my notepad if it's bad, and smiley faces for good. But I know everyone has their own system for keeping track of people.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nah, I'm just messing with you.

I think Bruce Willis sucks. :thumbup:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:
I think Bruce Willis sucks. :thumbup:
I agree I wouldn't want him doing shakespeare, but he could play a brooding old arse-kicking man, IMO.

:cool:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wolfgang Petersen on Batman vs. Superman
Source: Heather Newgen
April 30, 2006

Superhero Hype! caught up with "Poseidon" director Wolfgang Petersen who says he is still interested in bringing Batman vs. Superman (aka "World's Finest") to the big screen.

"I still think that the Superman/Batman clash, putting them together in one film, would be absolutely fantastic," said Petersen. "I hope it still will happen because they are so different as we know. The dark Batman and the sort of goody goody Superman. It's so nice to play with both and see how the dynamic between the two also including fighting between the two how that would work."

Petersen added he's always interested in pursuing this idea and hopes it will work out.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HSX had a stock for a Batman/Superman movie for several years but I think it finally delisted when the movie plans stalled and Nolan stepped in for his trilogy.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score

So, Snyder is going to the Frank Miller well for this combo film? I really hope it's not a redux of The Dark Knight Returns comic series. We already have Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, and The Watchmen, that pretty much covers all that ground.

I don't like the idea of a Batman vs. Superman movie.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, Snyder is going to the Frank Miller well for this combo film? I really hope it's not a redux of The Dark Knight Returns comic series. We already have Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, and The Watchmen, that pretty much covers all that ground.

I don't like the idea of a Batman vs. Superman movie.

i'm kinda with ya...at least not in Snyder's hands.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Who's doing the Flash? He was my favorite. They ruined Green Lantern for me, and was just so-so for Captain America. Flash would be the trifecta.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why the hell are they turning basically the entire DC Comics franchises over to Snyder for %#$ sake?!!? Why!?!?

Expect more FX heavy crap with little substance. Next thing you know he will be writing/directing the Justice League film. Who the hell do they thing this guy is? Whedon? :devil:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why the hell are they turning basically the entire DC Comics franchises over to Snyder for %#$ sake?!!? Why!?!?

Expect more FX heavy crap with little substance. Next thing you know he will be writing/directing the Justice League film. Who the hell do they thing this guy is? Whedon? :devil:

yeah...they've hitched their wagon to a pretty odd horse.

i was a big fan of 300...and liked parts of the Watchmen, but Man Of Steel drifts from memory further and further the more i get away from it. He ain't no Nolan and he ain't no Whedon.

hell...he ain't even Raimi. Not sure why they're handing him the keys to the castle here.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad it is going to be an adaptation and not the real story. Bruce Willis would have been perfect for old and grouchy Bruce Wayne.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they can somehow make him look taller. Shrimpy batman drives me crazy.

Frank Miller Batman is squat and thick. Here is part of the script he is reading in that trailer.

Attachments

• batman-superman-fight-the-dark-knight-returns-600x711.jpg
    batman-superman-fight-the-dark-knight-returns-600x711.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 131

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave