Bass question

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Bass question...

I have played the drums for many years, 20 or so, off and on but would really like to learn how to play the bass guitar.

Any suggestions? Having played drums, is it easier to pick up?

Advice on a starter bass and any thing else needed?

Thanks

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Bass question...

Originally posted by TheCardFan
I have played the drums for many years, 20 or so, off and on but would really like to learn how to play the bass guitar.

Any suggestions? Having played drums, is it easier to pick up?

Thanks

You might want to post this as a separate thread - with the title "drums" maybe bass players aren't interested? :shrug:

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Bass question...

Originally posted by jw7
You might want to post this as a separate thread - with the title "drums" maybe bass players aren't interested? :shrug:

Doesn't matter, bass players can't read.

Ooooohhhh...

<rimshot>

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Bass question...

Originally posted by TheCardFan
I have played the drums for many years, 20 or so, off and on but would really like to learn how to play the bass guitar. Any suggestions? Having played drums, is it easier to pick up?

Thanks

I played bass for years...everybody else played the guitar so I played the bass. Cool thing was, when I wanted to learn to play the guitar I just was easy to pick it up because of my bass experience. was in all sorts of bands who needed a bassist....this is how I hooked up with Jimmy Eat World. Their bassist went on his Morman Mission and I practiced with them for a while until they got a new bassist. I never played a gig with them. They went to my high school

You can teach yourself bass guitar easy...just pick a song and play along. Then you can move into slap bass techniques...I suggest Primus, *LIVE*, Metallica has some good riffs. It is really easy, trust me

Last edited:

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Bass question...

Originally posted by Ryanwb
I suggest Primus, *LIVE*, Metallica has some good riffs. It is really easy, trust me

Les Claypool :thumbup:

When you mentioned Metallica, would it be Cliff Burton or Jason Newsted...or either one?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Bass question...

Originally posted by KingLouieLouie
Les Claypool :thumbup:

When you mentioned Metallica, would it be Cliff Burton or Jason Newsted...or either one?

Newsted threw some good slap riffs in there, Burton was all Metal baby..it is cool to know either one

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha ha, metal bass. My little brother learned bass by playing along with my Rancid cd's. When he was in high school he tried out for his friends metal band (bunch of Slipknot kids :barf: ) and it didn't work out because he played too many notes. When he started to play along with them the ended up telling him to just play the top string, first 2 frets.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Assface
Ha ha, metal bass. My little brother learned bass by playing along with my Rancid cd's. When he was in high school he tried out for his friends metal band (bunch of Slipknot kids :barf: ) and it didn't work out because he played too many notes. When he started to play along with them the ended up telling him to just play the top string, first 2 frets.

Try playing some Dream Theater bass lines :)

As for the Nu-Metal, yeah tuning down to A and chugging 2 notes for 4 minutes while your singer whines out of key is absolutely terrible music. I can't stand the fact that this is what passes for "metal" these days.

Amazing, simply amazing!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose