Barkley & Colangelo to meet...

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Per KTAR's interview with Colangelo tonight.

Both have left messages for one another. Mentioned a possible "truce".

More to come...

OP
OP
sly fly

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Not to mention what it could do for Amare's game.

Having Barkley back in the fold is a win/win for everybody involved. Not to mention the fan interest it would create again.

- Get Barkley to work with Amare on the court. Leave the off court stuff to Mark West. ;)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard the interview too.

JC noticed that Dan had left Charles' name off of the list of special guests he wanted at Sunday nights festivities. JC called Dan and asked him if the tiff between JC and Chuck was the reason the name wasn't there. Dan said it was.

JC then called Charles several times, leaving messages that Charles was invited to the game on Sunday night.

Chuck showed.

Then Chuck called the office today and left word that he would like to meet with JC when JC gets back from out of town.

When asked directly if a truce was to follow, JC said he thought so.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Originally posted by sly fly
Not to mention what it could do for Amare's game.

Having Barkley back in the fold is a win/win for everybody involved. Not to mention the fan interest it would create again.

- Get Barkley to work with Amare on the court. Leave the off court stuff to Mark West. ;)

I say sign Barkley for the vet minimum:D

On a serious note, can you guys imagine what would happen if Barkley decides to work with Amare, and Amare decides to acctually listen and learn?
I am juist trying to imagine Amare playing as hard as Chuck used to. SCARY:eek:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
This is all just awesome. It would seriously help the fan base to have Chuck back. Not just for a public truce, but for him to become involved again in the public eye would just be great. I always argued that Chuck should be in the ring, he what got me interested in the Suns when I was like 9. Hopefully everything goes well.

PS - That took a lot of balls for JC to call Chuck and invite him to the game. Just says a lot, he wanted the night to be special for Dan, even though he might have felt uncomfterable. People can say what they want about him, but he has a lot of class and loyalty to his players that is rare these days amoung owners.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must be the only one here that thinks it would be a bad idea to have Charles Barkley anywhere near Amare Stoudemire. I just don't think Sir Charles would be able to do anything more than Marc Iavaroni. I don't think it's worth the risk that some of his negative attributes rub off on the young guy.

Joe Mama

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I would rather have Charles Barkley working with Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson.

Though Joe Johnson could learn a lot of things from Penny, but I doubt it since Marion seems like he didn't learn anything from Penny. Barkley could teach him some post moves or show him how to get to the line.

I would like Bill Russel, Hakeem, Malone, Ewing, The Admiral or Kareem to work out with Amare. Bill Russel offered to work out with Jermaine O'Neal but the Celtics wouldn't let him because he had some sort of contract.

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
I must be the only one here that thinks it would be a bad idea to have Charles Barkley anywhere near Amare Stoudemire.

Along with Barkley's awesome game and skills came several bad habits also. I would hate for them to rub off on Amare.

But maybe it's not Amare he would work with. Maybe there IS a reason for them keeping Alton around.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Bad habits rubbing of on Amare? I can not believe what I am reading. Since when is Amare Mr. Mother Theresa? I am sick of everybody making Stoudemire to be a little perfect angel, and Charles to be some kind of bad influence.

You guys seem to forget how hard Charles used to work. That guy never stopped, going after every rebound, going after every loose ball, giving it 100% every night. (Granted, once he got older and heavier, it was a slightly different story.)

This is riddicilous! Bad influence?:rolleyes: I guess we should just find another thug who barely graduated high school to mentor him, who cares that the best power forward in the history of the league might be available.:rolleyes:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think it's pretty well established that Barkley's work ethics were questionable. Yes, he often worked hard on the court, but he also was an indifferent (at best) defensive player, and he took a ton of ill-advised shots. When his team lost, he always shrugged it off by saying the other team was better. Well, I'm sorry, but the Suns were clearly in a position to win Game 6 against the Bulls, as well as both series against Houston the following year. Barkley must share in the blame for that failure.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Well, I agree with you that Charlie did have some issues, but come on, are you saying that the Bulls and the Rockets were not better than the Suns in the time period from 1992- 1995?
To me, the big problem was losing to the Utah Jazz when he played in Houston. (He was not "the man" on that team, so I don't think it should be used against him.)
I agree he was not a good defensive player, and he openly admited that he was not in the league to play D. He was short, chubby, just not fit to play D.
Chuck is still the best PF in the history of the NBA, and if you have a chance to make him a part of your organization, you go for it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirStefan32
are you saying that the Bulls and the Rockets were not better than the Suns in the time period from 1992- 1995?

That's exactly what he's saying, and yes, we were better. In fact, we were easily the best team in the NBA for at least 2 of those years.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Barkley was also known to party hard & late into the night. I wouldn't want this to rub off on Amare. He needs to get his sleep and stay focused on his goals.

fordronken

Reaction score
It was either Majerle or Ainge, I can't remember who exactly, that said the team was fortunate that Barkley joined the Suns coming off of the Olympics, because he was in shape. Remember, Barkley, who was called the most talented guy on the Olympic tryout team years earlier, was cut because he showed up not having touched a basketball in months.

It is my opinion that Barkley had a tremendous work ethic when he chose to. However, it was not as consistent as with people like Jordan, Magic and Bird. Nonetheless, I do think that Barkley would be a valuable asset to have around the organization.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
That's exactly what he's saying, and yes, we were better. In fact, we were easily the best team in the NBA for at least 2 of those years.

Come on Chap, that's crazy.
Names Hakeem and Clyde ring a bell? Or MJ?
The Suns were a very good team, but they were not better than Chicago or Houston.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirStefan32
Come on Chap, that's crazy.
Names Hakeem and Clyde ring a bell? Or MJ?
The Suns were a very good team, but they were not better than Chicago or Houston.

They are better only because they could finish a series.
Talent-wise, the Suns should have won 3 titles in a row.

They had Chicago beat. They had Houston destroyed - they just could not close it out, which is why Barkley was brought to Phoenix - to be the guy that wins those games, and he failed.
He was too busy being a celebrity to give a damn about a title, until it was too late in his career.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's questionable whether they were better than the Bulls in '93. They should have won Game 6, and then it would have come down to a Game 7 in Phoenix. It was definitely worth a shot.

I think they were better than the Rockets in '94. Isn't that the series where the Suns lost Game 7 in overtime at home, when Wesley Person had an open three-pointer at the end of regulation to win it and it just rimmed out?

In '95, when the Suns won the first two games in Houston, Barkley said something about how the Rockets were the champs and weren't going to go down easily. The way he said it, it really seemed like he didn't believe the Suns could win. And sure enough, they collapsed right after that. Houston may have been better that year, but when they forfeited the first two games at home, the Suns should have been able to win.

The "rule" that "the better team always wins in a 7-game series" is nonsense. Usually, sure, but not always.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
They are better only because they could finish a series.
Talent-wise, the Suns should have won 3 titles in a row.

They had Chicago beat. They had Houston destroyed - they just could not close it out, which is why Barkley was brought to Phoenix - to be the guy that wins those games, and he failed.
He was too busy being a celebrity to give a damn about a title, until it was too late in his career.

He couldn't finish, you're right, just like that 18 foot jumper over David Robinson to send the Suns to the finals, or that slam dunk, a steal and a lay in against Chicago.
Do you guys realize how good Hakeem and Clyde were back then? Do you realize how good Chicago was? Utah and New York are two other team that could have won championships, but there was this guy, I think his last name was Jordan, who didn't let them.

I don't understand why all Sir Charles bashing. He led the team to finals. KJ was good, Aingle and Dan are a couple of my favorite players, but come on, you think they would've been in the finals without Charles?

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks...can I read or not!!!! Where in the world did JC say anything about Barkley doing anything with this team....let alone Amare? He just mentioned a truce and that is it. Maybe he is sick and tired listening to Charles bash the franchise. Maybe he will let him into the ring of honor. Maybe he is thinking of having him in the broadcast booth (but probably could not afford him). I am very sure he will not have him anywhere near his players teaching them the "back down fanny pusher turn around jumper!"

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
It's questionable whether they were better than the Bulls in '93. They should have won Game 6, and then it would have come down to a Game 7 in Phoenix. It was definitely worth a shot.

I think they were better than the Rockets in '94. Isn't that the series where the Suns lost Game 7 in overtime at home, when Wesley Person had an open three-pointer at the end of regulation to win it and it just rimmed out?

In '95, when the Suns won the first two games in Houston, Barkley said something about how the Rockets were the champs and weren't going to go down easily. The way he said it, it really seemed like he didn't believe the Suns could win. And sure enough, they collapsed right after that. Houston may have been better that year, but when they forfeited the first two games at home, the Suns should have been able to win.

The "rule" that "the better team always wins in a 7-game series" is nonsense. Usually, sure, but not always.

I will agree with that Eric. That is a very fair statement. As far as Houston goes, they were champions, and Hakeem was easily the best big men in the game. The Suns had no center. Phoenix had no answer for the Dream, and when they doubled, Houston drained three's.

But again, I do see what you are trying to say. I just couldn't agree with Chaps statement that the Suns were a flat out better team.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by minercon
Hey folks...can I read or not!!!! Where in the world did JC say anything about Barkley doing anything with this team....let alone Amare? He just mentioned a truce and that is it. Maybe he is sick and tired listening to Charles bash the franchise. Maybe he will let him into the ring of honor. Maybe he is thinking of having him in the broadcast booth (but probably could not afford him). I am very sure he will not have him anywhere near his players teaching them the "back down fanny pusher turn around jumper!"

It was actually Barkley that has said that he wants to work with Amare Stoudemire to help him improve.

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbeecham
It was actually Barkley that has said that he wants to work with Amare Stoudemire to help him improve.

Which brings us back to my first point. If JC and Barkley could make up, the next possible step would be for him to work with the Suns in some capacity and one of the things he could do is work with players on development. My suggestion for him to work with Alton as opposed to Amare would seem to be a safer, no risk trial approach. If he worked with Alton and molded him into something decent he would have proved himself a bit. If he ruined Alton then it wouldn't be that great of a loss and the team would find another use for him (Barkley that is).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson