Bariatric surgery

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by oaken1, Jan 10, 2019.

1. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

Hey Card fans.

I am considering bariatric sleeve surgery. In this particular procedure they basically cut away about 75% of your stomache leaving it about the size of a banana.
    There is no bypassing of any intestines so the weight loss benefits focus on consumption more than absorption. But cutting away so much of your stomache is highly invasive and permanenet since it cannot be put back.
    Do any of you have any experience with this? Friends, family members, self? If so I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts regarding the procedure as well as life changes involved.

2. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut 4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon Contributor

I had a friend who decided against it because he was ultimately told that his low metabolism was a major factor contributing to his being overweight. Add to that he has other health issues that would make surgery overly stressful to his heart.

I can't make any assumption as to the validity of the low metabolism diagnosis but it made me sad for my friend not being able to get helped by this. Someone else here may be in a more informed position to comment. I know he also considered some type of procedure where a 'band' to constrict the stomach size is used. This can be reversed.... Dont quote me on that. I know there were insurance concerns about what's covered depending on the physician's diagnosis.

This is only my experience, so I have nothing to add about how successful this type of surgery is.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

oaken1 likes this.
  3. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

I know of one person I worked with 15 years ago that had it. I worked with her about a year after her surgery and she said she lost a crazy amount of weight super fast. I know no other details other than she was very happy with the weight loss results.

My mom had the lap band thing years ago and looks exactly the same, unfortunately. Only difference for her is if she even slightly over eats, she throws up. Fun times.

oaken1 likes this.
  4. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

you see...thats an issue for me as well and a question I need to ask. I have hypothyroidism and my metabolism is crap.
    but it is part of the reason I was looking at this because obviously consuming less food should help right? Less food, less calories, less activity required to burn said calories.

it just seems hard to get all my questions answered. everyone keeps telling me what they want to see, how they want it to go, without just laying down the facts about it all.....and I need those facts, good or bad, in order to make a decision.

5. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

I looked into the lap band. It is only for people who need to lose a little weight,...not 100+ pounds like me, lol. It basically just slows down consumption so you cant eat as fast.

6. ozzfloyd

ozzfloyd The Carp

My wife had bariatric surgery a few years before we met.
    Positives: She lost 85 pounds in the 1st year. She became more active. She's certainly more confident with herself.
    Negatives: If she eats too much she will vomit. Alcohol absorption is weird...like 2 sips of hard cider and she's noticeably intoxicated, then stone cold sober 10 minutes later.

7. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

do you know which surgery she had?

8. ozzfloyd

ozzfloyd The Carp

I'll ask her tonight. I'm not entirely sure. It was of the laparoscopic variety, but unsure if it was gastric sleeve or band...

9. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

Then my mom never should have gotten it, either.