Barbie

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
This tells me that movies aren't dead. Poorly written, poorly directed, and poorly marketed movies are dead.

Write original stuff, and it will get the eyeballs if marketed properly.

True, and that Covid is no longer keeping folks out of the theatre.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barbenheimer'd yesterday, with Barbie being the second of the double bill. This was a blast. 1st and 3rd Acts were absolutely amazing. 2nd act was solid enough to get from point A-C with some great moments in between. Two rockingly fun hours at the movies.

Overall, I couldn't be more impressed with Greta Gerwig. Her directorial debut was a killer coming of age, original indie that made 50 million domestic and got nominated for Best Screenplay/Director/Film. Followed that up with an engrossing adaptation of a beloved classic, making over 100 million bucks while getting nominated for Best Picture. And her next movie is a gonzo, go for broke, funny/four quadrant movie event of the summer, making a cleverly subversive comedy out of a HUGE property... which I'm betting gets nominated for Oscars for Robbie, Gosling in Supporting and wouldn't be surprised at a Best Picture/Best Adapted Screenplay for Gerwig when all's said and done. Hell, I wouldn't put Best Director out of the running either simply for how she brought Barbieland/Kendom to life.

I can't wait to see what Gerwig does next at this point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just realized Narnia is what Gerwig is doing next. That’s super disappointing. Losing her voice to a remake of a okay franchise film robs moviegoers of something fresh and new moving forward.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just realized Narnia is what Gerwig is doing next. That’s super disappointing. Losing her voice to a remake of a okay franchise film robs moviegoers of something fresh and new moving forward.
I don't know, a female filmmaker jumping genres in an extreme fashion is pretty damn refreshing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, a female filmmaker jumping genres in an extreme fashion is pretty damn refreshing.
If she was making the jump to something original in that genre, I’d be jumping for cinematic joy. Jumping for a retread franchise makes me feel like we’re just losing another young/Uber talented director to franchise fare, ala Ryan Coogler.

Probably doesn’t help that I never cared for the Narnia franchise. I’ll give it a whirl now that she’s in the director’s chair, but I’d so rather see her blaze her own trail, rather than trying to relight one that went cold a decade ago.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Blows me away that it is 2023 with reserved seats, etc. and there are still people in the comments on that TikTok that feel it's totally okay to buy a ticket for film A, change your mind, and go see film B. SMH.

But whats the difference? I know seat arrangements will be off, but aren't the tickets all priced the same?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But whats the difference? I know seat arrangements will be off, but aren't the tickets all priced the same?
Yeah, but you would likely be sitting in someone else's seat given that these two blockbusters released at the same time and most showtimes were sold out. It's not like you're switching seats to go see some B movie with plenty of empty seats. When the people who actually purchased the seats show up there is confusion and you've got to move again and it's a big disruption, etc. Not like when it was open seating and it didn't matter.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but you would likely be sitting in someone else's seat given that these two blockbusters released at the same time and most showtimes were sold out. It's not like you're switching seats to go see some B movie with plenty of empty seats. When the people who actually purchased the seats show up there is confusion and you've got to move again and it's a big disruption, etc. Not like when it was open seating and it didn't matter.
Yup.

I care a lot about where I’m sitting in a theater. If I’m not close to dead center, I’m a little pissy.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Yup.

I care a lot about where I’m sitting in a theater. If I’m not close to dead center, I’m a little pissy.
FIFY ;)

I like to be about 1/3 of the way off center to the left when facing the screen and hate sitting right of center. I think it's a throwback to how the seating was set up in the old auditorium theaters like Camelview. I watched so many movies there that it sort of locked me into it.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First female (I believe) to post in this thread. Saw it last weekend with my sister. Left my daughter (8) at home since I am a smart parent and, for the most part, trust the ratings (PG-13).

When I initially heard this movie was coming out, I didn't really pay it any mind. But, the more I heard, the more I was interested. So off sis and I went.

We really enjoyed it. We laughed, we cried, we commiserated. This movie touched on a lot of things I've experienced in my life as a woman and as a mom. I thought it was well done.

Oh, and Ryan Gosling has never looked so freaking good. He's definitely Kenough.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup.

Same. The wife thinks I am picky but I like to be towards the bottom (but not all the way at the top and definitly now down in front) but dead center in the row.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This movie was fantastic. Entertaining, thought provoking, and frankly fun. Robbie and Gosling were terrific. So many people won’t get this at all.

There were five people sitting in front of me talking about it afterward. They totally missed the core of the movie.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife threw me a surprise 50th Birthday party and it was full of Kenergy! Everyone was dressed up as either Barbie or Ken. It was a throwback to the 25th Birthday party she threw me when we were dating and it was also Barbie themed because that was the only thing on sale at Party City.

You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson