Ayton Underrated ?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So what exactly do you know specifically, because based on this post, you seem to know the whole story.
What I know is that he is "in the program" based upon NBA rules, and now he is going to have tighter testing. I just read the CBA on this. It seems that they have three separate programs based upon the random drug tests.

1. Drugs of abuse program. Includes cocaine, heroin, meth, etc.
2. SPED program. Steroids etc.
3. Marijuana program.

Testing positive for a diuretic puts him in the SPED program which includes treatment and monitoring. Second offense is 55 games, after that it is dismissal from the league.

Oh. And I do not have any insider knowledge and I do not know the whole story. I am just making the point that now he needs to be really careful because testing and consequences increase after a first offense.

Sorry for sounding like I know more about this than I do. Just making observations.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I can't think of an example of a player that had a big drug suspension then went on to have an amazing career.
Can't recall a high profile young player getting a big suspension for a diuretic either. As a matter of fact very few high profile players period have even faced a drug suspension in the NBA. Not sure there is any precedent whatsoever to compare him to at this point.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I watched a game from the ‘93 finals a while back and seeing Dumas’s unrealized potential made me sad. Especially given the coming postseason disappointments. I hope Ayton rises to the challenge.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't either but most of the drug related suspensions through the years have involved cocaine not a diuretic. I don't think diuretics are an indication of self-medicating for a physical or emotional problem nor are they known to be addictive - so I don't see any connection for Ayton's situation to the suspensions of the past. Of course, once you're in the program you can get busted for alcohol, as I recall that's what finally ended the careers of Tarpley and Dumas.

Even the mention of Dumas is disheartening. What a great career lost.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyreke Evans is out of the NBA right now because of a drug suspension. He had a solid year in Indiana last season and is a former rookie of the year. He'll need to wait 1 more season before he can file for reinstatement. I originally thought he was popped for a PED but I was reading up on it now and found that he tested positive for "a drug of abuse" and because of that, he was immediately shown the door and the league did not disclose what drug it was.

In the article I was reading it stated he's the 13th player to get the boot from the NBA. Here's what it says...

Evans’ marks the 13th NBA disqualification since 1986. Chris “Birdman” Andersen, Stanley Roberts, Roy Tarpley (twice), Mitchell Wiggins, Lewis Lloyd, Michael Ray Richardson, Richard Dumas, Chris Washburn, Duane Washington and John Drew all received drug bans prior to Mayo and Evans.

Source

As said, even seeing Richard Dumas' name there stings. That kid had so much talent and promise.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyreke Evans is out of the NBA right now because of a drug suspension. He had a solid year in Indiana last season and is a former rookie of the year. He'll need to wait 1 more season before he can file for reinstatement. I originally thought he was popped for a PED but I was reading up on it now and found that he tested positive for "a drug of abuse" and because of that, he was immediately shown the door and the league did not disclose what drug it was.

In the article I was reading it stated he's the 13th player to get the boot from the NBA. Here's what it says...

Source

As said, even seeing Richard Dumas' name there stings. That kid had so much talent and promise.

I'm a little surprised there are not exceptions for opiates because it can be prescribed by a doctor as a pain killer. In certain situations it is necessary such as an emergency. Maybe there is a provision that usage can be waived.

Marijuana has a medical use as well but there are usually alternatives and the penalty is less severe.

My guess is NBPA will look at this again in the next collective bargaining agreement.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where Dumas is now?

He was at a game last season, can't recall which but it was a celebration of the finals team with Barkley. He looked good. I think he said he's coaching a high school team right now. Nothing glamorous but it appeared he had his life together for the most part.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised there are not exceptions for opiates because it can be prescribed by a doctor as a pain killer. In certain situations it is necessary such as an emergency. Maybe there is a provision that usage can be waived.

Marijuana has a medical use as well but there are usually alternatives and the penalty is less severe.

My guess is NBPA will look at this again in the next collective bargaining agreement.

I'm sure there is a medical exception of sorts. It's when they're not prescribed that would be an issue. There are medical waivers in other sports, like MMA and boxing, as far as if someone tests positive for a substance but they're being prescribed the medication by a legitimate doctor for a legitimate reason. If the NBA tried telling athletes they weren't allowed painkillers for any reason, even if their doctor says it's ok and they just had surgery or something, then I could see the players union raising a huge stink over that. I haven't read the CBA and their drug policy but I would imagine they grant exceptions for various reasons.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
He was at a game last season, can't recall which but it was a celebration of the finals team with Barkley. He looked good. I think he said he's coaching a high school team right now. Nothing glamorous but it appeared he had his life together for the most part.

That is good news... and very glad to hear it. I remember some predictions from back when he was having his addiction issues that he was going to end up homeless or worse... like the path that Chris Washburn, Roy Tarpley, and some others from that era ended up taking.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wasn't Dumas the guy involved in that one huge apple theft?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was Rex Chapman. I remember that case. He seems to have gotten his life back on track as well. You'll see him on NBA TV every once in a while. He looks a lot healthier than he did back when that went down. I'm not sure what ended up happening with all of that, he probably rolled over on some people since he's not locked up now. He was facing 14 felony charges.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...d-from-jail-shoplifting-apple-store/15981987/

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No Dumas was the guy that looked like he was about to take off during the Barkley era. He was a young stud. He was almost traded for Dennis Rodman to play along side Barkley and blew that up in more than one way.

I would have given almost anything to see that happen. Who the hell would have gotten rebounds against the Suns between Barkley and Rodman?!?!

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was Chapman. Dumas was arrested for stealing from the BX at LAFB, where he was working as a janitor.

Wow. There is a story there. Former Suns who have done jail time: Dumas, Ollie Miller, Rex Chapman (he did a few days I think).

And then there are the ones who probably SHOULD have done jail time: KJ, Jerrod Mustaf, the Morris twins.

Last edited:

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
That was Chapman. Dumas was arrested for stealing from the BX at LAFB, where he was working as a janitor.

Wow. There is a story there. Former Suns who have done jail time: Dumas, Ollie Miller, Rex Chapman (he did a few days I think).

And then there are the ones who probably SHOULD have done jail time: KJ, Jerrod Mustaf, the Morris twins.

Mike Niles (1980-81) was convicted of killing his wife
Paul Stovall (1972-73) was convicted of forgery
Sebastian Telfair (2011-13) was convicted on gun and drug charges

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Mike Niles (1980-81) was convicted of killing his wife

Wow, that's freaky. I was at a summer basketball camp in '80 or '81 and they promised us with much fanfare that a star Suns player was going to visit, Westphal I think -- so it would have had to be 1980. Anyway, instead, Mike Niles showed up, did a couple of pedestrian dunks, said nothing that I can remember, and left after a few minutes.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's right now i remember now.

Dont forget Barkley, for his ummm paid favors lol

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
There have been a lot of players/former players arrested over the years for DUIs, domestic abuse or marijuana possession (Charles Barkley, Jason Kidd, Penny Hardaway, Clifford Robinson, Tom Chambers, Jason Richardson, Stephon Marbury, Michael Beasley, P.J. Tucker, etc.) but none of the have had to do any prison time.

And the players from the 1987 "drug scandal" were Walter Davis, Johnny High and William Bedford who testified in front of the grand jury and Edwards, Humphries and Gondrezick who didn't have any charges stick as they agreed to public service. Johnny High died in a mysterious one-car accident and there several former Suns player's whose names came up (Don Buse, Dennis Johnson, Curtis Perry, Alvin Scott, Gar Heard, Rich Kelley, David Thirdkill, Mike Bratz) but none did any time in prison.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
That’s interesting. I hope it’s true. A couple years ago I saw him shooting hoops a few times at Lifetime Fitness. Shortly after that he was busted for theft at Luke Air Force Base where he worked as a janitor. I really hope he got his life together. He’s paid a hell of a price for his addiction and poor choices.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose