Ayton Underrated ?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by sinsay, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

From your mouth to the hoops gods ears!

2. devilalum

devilalum Heavily Redacted

Ayton?
    Who dat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. pokerface

pokerface Registered

Haven't heard of anyone on crapping on Ayton or getting rid of him....not on this board. But there is always one lone wolf...

4. TJ

TJ Suge White

When the suspension was announced, these comments flowed like The Nile on Twitter

5. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Don’t recall anyone saying get rid of him. And his actions resulted in a suspension. He deserved any and all crap based on that.

6. devilalum

devilalum Heavily Redacted

I can't think of an example of a player that had a big drug suspension then went on to have an amazing career.

7. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I can't either but most of the drug related suspensions through the years have involved cocaine not a diuretic. I don't think diuretics are an indication of self-medicating for a physical or emotional problem nor are they known to be addictive - so I don't see any connection for Ayton's situation to the suspensions of the past. Of course, once you're in the program you can get busted for alcohol, as I recall that's what finally ended the careers of Tarpley and Dumas.

Superbone, Mainstreet and BC867 like this.
  8. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Ayton has really put himself at a disadvantage for his career. His big problem now is not the suspension, but that he is "in the program" that seems to be designed to bring about failure.

He is going to have to be highly disciplined if he is going to have an NBA career. He probably needs to cut out marijuana and alcohol altogether.

He would probably be a better player for it, and it would be a health benefit.

9. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

So what exactly do you know specifically, because based on this post, you seem to know the whole story.

10. JCSunsfan

11. JCSunsfan

What I know is that he is "in the program" based upon NBA rules, and now he is going to have tighter testing. I just read the CBA on this. It seems that they have three separate programs based upon the random drug tests.

1. Drugs of abuse program. Includes cocaine, heroin, meth, etc.
    2. SPED program. Steroids etc.
    3. Marijuana program.

Testing positive for a diuretic puts him in the SPED program which includes treatment and monitoring. Second offense is 55 games, after that it is dismissal from the league.

Oh. And I do not have any insider knowledge and I do not know the whole story. I am just making the point that now he needs to be really careful because testing and consequences increase after a first offense.

Sorry for sounding like I know more about this than I do. Just making observations.

BC867 and Chaplin like this.
  12. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical Contributor

Can't recall a high profile young player getting a big suspension for a diuretic either. As a matter of fact very few high profile players period have even faced a drug suspension in the NBA. Not sure there is any precedent whatsoever to compare him to at this point.

gimpy likes this.
  13. Western Font

Western Font Registered

I watched a game from the ‘93 finals a while back and seeing Dumas’s unrealized potential made me sad. Especially given the coming postseason disappointments. I hope Ayton rises to the challenge.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  14. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Even the mention of Dumas is disheartening. What a great career lost.

Hoop Head likes this.
  15. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

Tyreke Evans is out of the NBA right now because of a drug suspension. He had a solid year in Indiana last season and is a former rookie of the year. He'll need to wait 1 more season before he can file for reinstatement. I originally thought he was popped for a PED but I was reading up on it now and found that he tested positive for "a drug of abuse" and because of that, he was immediately shown the door and the league did not disclose what drug it was.

In the article I was reading it stated he's the 13th player to get the boot from the NBA. Here's what it says...

Source

As said, even seeing Richard Dumas' name there stings. That kid had so much talent and promise.