Avatar: The Way of Water (aka Avatar 2)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
first social media reactions come out... early reports are Cameron’s done it again, creating something truly grand, epic and unlike the first avatar, characters you actually give a crap about. Trying to curb my enthusiasm here…

Some high praise there. One guy said he felt like he was watching T2 for the first time again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some high praise there. One guy said he felt like he was watching T2 for the first time again.
Multiple people saying they were lukewarm on the original but blown away by the sequel.

If there’s one thing Cameron ABSOLUTELY knows how to do, it’s how to supersize EVERYTHING (action/effects/character) in a sequel.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Well, that makes me feel even better about my IMAX tickets for the whole family. 11 more days.

That's also the weekend I start my two weeks off for the Holidays. :cool:

Can NOT wait.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm happy RT is only at 82%. My expectations were starting to get too high for this. Now, I can just go in hoping for the most ridiculous, yet still pretty entertaining, spectacle instead of trying to suppress T2/Titanic-esque excitement that was building after seeing the first reacts go completely gaga.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a movie solo in a theater in forever. I might try to sneak out to an early show Friday. No meetings so far...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
i'm happy RT is only at 82%. My expectations were starting to get too high for this. Now, I can just go in hoping for the most ridiculous, yet still pretty entertaining, spectacle instead of trying to suppress T2/Titanic-esque excitement that was building after seeing the first reacts go completely gaga.
You're getting that pumped? After the last one? Wow.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're getting that pumped? After the last one? Wow.
It’s a new James Cameron movie… the cinematic equivalent of Haley’s Comet, with all the time he takes between movies. That alone makes it a massive event for most cinefiles.

And regardless of story, I had a blast watching the first one. It was an epic theater experience. I expect the same here because that’s what Cameron does best and he does it better than anyone else ever has.

But the early reviews also gushed about the story, which I was skeptical about before reading them, so that got me even more excited. Now that I’ve gotten a larger sample of reviews, that’s tempered my expectations on that front. So now I’m super stoked simply in anticipation of Cameron giving my eye-balls a 3 hour orgasm and anything beyond that will be gravy again.

And if all of that’s a problem for you, then you can take your next condescending “wow” and shove it where the Sun don’t shine, Stout.:moon:

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
It’s a new James Cameron movie… the cinematic equivalent of Haley’s Comet, with all the time he takes between movies. That alone makes it a massive event for most cinefiles.

And regardless of story, I had a blast watching the first one. It was an epic theater experience. I expect the same here because that’s what Cameron does best and he does it better than anyone else ever has.

But the early reviews also gushed about the story, which I was skeptical about before reading them, so that got me even more excited. Now that I’ve gotten a larger sample of reviews, that’s tempered my expectations on that front. So now I’m super stoked simply in anticipation of Cameron giving my eye-balls a 3 hour orgasm and anything beyond that will be gravy again.

And if all of that’s a problem for you, then you can take your next condescending “wow” and shove it where the Sun don’t shine, Stout.:moon:
You got that upset about my post? Wow.

;)

All kidding aside, most people that seem to have loved the first Avatar don't remember much, or didn't care much, about the story. For folks that like to watch movies for pure visuals, I say go for it. Visuals alone don't make a good movie for me. If it's visual but super fun cheesy, or mindless 80's-style action, or, of course, a good story, then cool. But visual without anything else doesn't do it for me. Maybe this one has a good story. I'm hearing mixed reviews on that end. You are likely hearing many more reviews from many more insider sources. I hope you enjoy it.

Stout

Reaction score
The last time I remember seeing a film in a theater by myself was in 1987.
I used to have friends who hated going to movie theaters, a lot of time to kill and plenty of money, and an intense love of going to movies. I therefore would do it all the time. Later, I had time to myself and, when I was going to go somewhere in the evening, I'd check to see if a good one was playing in the afternoon beforehand.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Release Date: December 16, 2022
Studio: 20th Century Studios
Director: James Cameron
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for sequences of strong violence and intense action, partial nudity and some strong language
Screenwriters: James Cameron, Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver
Genre: Action | Adventure | Fantasy

Plot Summary: Jake Sully lives with his newfound family formed on the extrasolar moon Pandora. Once a familiar threat returns to finish what was previously started, Jake must work with Neytiri and the army of the Na'vi race to protect their home.

Starring: Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Kate Winslet, Cliff Curtis, Joel David Moore, CCH Pounder, Edie Falco

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it with the family yesterday.

The story was decent, but it was a visual spectacle.
So from what I’m gathering this should really just be taken for a really cool amusement ride… but expect more of the same story wise from the first one.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
So from what I’m gathering this should really just be taken for a really cool amusement ride… but expect more of the same story wise from the first one.

No. On second glance, the story is actually pretty good, especially when measured against Avatar 1's standards.

It's just that you almost lose the story because the visuals kind of take over, especially at certain points.

Mind you, we did watch this on IMAX 3D.

Maybe a rewatch on a more normal screen and format will make me appreciate the story better.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. On second glance, the story is actually pretty good, especially when measured against Avatar 1's standards.

It's just that you almost lose the story because the visuals kind of take over, especially at certain points.

Mind you, we did watch this on IMAX 3D.

Maybe a rewatch on a more normal screen and format will make me appreciate the story better.
I’m definitely going for IMAX 3D… prob on edibles.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I’m definitely going for IMAX 3D… prob on edibles.
I haven't seen it yet but I've seen multiple people online say that either high or on a hallucinogen would be the best way to watch it due to the visuals.

Overall I've been hearing mostly good things. Visuals and audio are always listed as great, usually gets too long by 45-60 min., and then the mixed results comes from opinions on the plot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose