Avatar: The Way of Water (aka Avatar 2)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But the vast majority of whom they make movies for do that is why they spend a billion dollars on them. If I am spending $18 a ticket to see a 3D movie, it better be visually amazing. If I want a great story, my home system is great for that, but I get to be more comfortable on my couch with my wife.

Look at Dredd, blah over all, but the 3D was nothing short of spectacular. I would not have enjoyed it nearly as much at home as I did in the theater in 3D. And because of all of that, I will see both of these in the theater just like all the other people that will make up a billion dollars in sales for each one.
Exactly. I don’t see “great movies” in theaters anymore. I see “great spectacles” in theaters. I’d rather see the great movie at home.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I don’t see “great movies” in theaters anymore. I see “great spectacles” in theaters. I’d rather see the great movie at home.
That depends for me. IMO, something can be both. I am seeing a great Marvel movie in the theater. I am seeing Dune in the theater. I am seeing a great War Epic like Saving Private Ryan in the theater.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, this looks horrible. I'm not interested what so ever.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about it “looks horrible?” There’s not much there yet.
It looked like a straight to DVD sequel of a Pixar animation based on the preview to me. I was expecting something more after a 10 year wait. As Cheese said, in 3D maybe it looked better and maybe other previews will get me excited, but this really didn't.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looked like a straight to DVD sequel of a Pixar animation based on the preview to me. I was expecting something more after a 10 year wait. As Cheese said, in 3D maybe it looked better and maybe other previews will get me excited, but this really didn't.
Yeah… looked like a Pixar film to me in the preview too.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh boy… people should NEVER doubt The King of the Blockbuster, but he is once again really pushing the boundaries of what’s possible with a sequel to a somewhat forgotten movie 13 years later that’s as long as The Godfather!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Cameron thinks very highly of himself.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying hard to break even…

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying hard to break even…

That’s not Disney’s call. China has stopped running American films because their own box office has been so strong. But they see the potential here.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Cameron thinks very highly of himself.

If every movie you ever made (outside of The Abyss) was a smash hit (True Lies), or considered two of the best sequels of all time that were also smash hits (T2 and Aliens) or made the most and third most amount of money of all time (Titanic and Avatar), you’d probably think highly of yourself too.

And that list didn’t even include the original Terminator!

Dude has earned the right to have a planet sized ego.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If every movie you ever made (outside of The Abyss) was a smash hit (True Lies), or considered two of the best sequels of all time that were also smash hits (T2 and Aliens) or made the most and third most amount of money of all time (Titanic and Avatar), you’d probably think highly of yourself too.

Absolutely. If this new movie could be the same technical brilliance of the first Avater but with a script that is actually interesting, this movie is going to make a ton of money.

People thought Titanic was going to bomb before it came out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. If this new movie could be the same technical brilliance of the first Avater but with a script that is actually interesting, this movie is going to make a ton of money.

People thought Titanic was going to bomb before it came out.
Thought the same with Avatar… including myself.

Third time might be the charm. Viewing habits are WILDLY different than they were in 2009… hell, just since 2019. But it does seem that if there is a huge movie out that IS worthwhile, there is still that craving for the communal experience.

And say what you will about the story (or lack thereof) in the trailers, visually, this looks like it’s gonna be another movie where Cameron screws your eyeballs to death.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

True Lies is the best remake of all time.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s not Disney’s call. China has stopped running American films because their own box office has been so strong. But they see the potential here.
China also refuses to show films for any LGBTQ+ content, the Statue of Liberty being in the film, or because an actor or director spoke out against the Chinese government.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Some of the responses are brutal. Saying Cameron watched Ferngully and then took a nap and “came up with the idea for Avatar.” :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose