Avatar: The Way of Water (aka Avatar 2)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He does have some rabid fans out there...like this guy:

haha... yeah, I realized i'm just kind of bummed they pushed the release date again. No one brings as much to a big screen like Cameron.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I am a movie buff...my philosophy is that I watch movies to be entertained therefore it is in my nature to notice what in a movie was done right....the acting can be piss poor if the script is really good...the story can be weak if the cinematography is good,..etc..

however, with the ever increasing costs of going to a theater I have come to a formula. If a movie is made for its drama, or story, etc...it is a DVD movie...I have a 60 tv so with the lights out it is still a decent viewing experience...

if a movie is what I call "epic in scope"... such as Star Trek, Star Wars, Avatar, etc...then these are the ones I see at the theater...and in certain cases, in 3D...the 3D done for Avatar was a.Mazing.. fantastic.... I will go to the theater to see the sequel,..as others, if it sucks, I will pass on whatever follows...

the only real exception to my formula is horror movies...the ol'lady is a big horror fan as is the rest of the family...so we occasionally go see one in the theater...... last one was the one with the boogie man and the home videos,...next one will probably be "The Boy"...looks creepy as hell.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Cameron is making four Avatar sequels

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/avatar/james-cameron-making-four-avatar-sequels/

Is there a point where studio executives batter down James Cameron's door and demand he actually deliver the Avatar sequels he keeps promising? Probably, but that patience is being further tested as he's announced he's making not three, but four new films.

Taking the stage for a surprise appearance at 20th Century Fox's CinemaCon presentation on Thursday, Cameron admitted that the story spanning the new Avatar movies was such that he had to add an extra one. According to the director, the four follow-ups will have stand-alone plots that nevertheless connect to form one big saga.

We can expect the first to arrive (probably) in 2018, with the others following in 2020, 2022 and 2023.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Cameron is making four Avatar sequels

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/avatar/james-cameron-making-four-avatar-sequels/

Is there a point where studio executives batter down James Cameron's door and demand he actually deliver the Avatar sequels he keeps promising? Probably, but that patience is being further tested as he's announced he's making not three, but four new films.

Taking the stage for a surprise appearance at 20th Century Fox's CinemaCon presentation on Thursday, Cameron admitted that the story spanning the new Avatar movies was such that he had to add an extra one. According to the director, the four follow-ups will have stand-alone plots that nevertheless connect to form one big saga.

We can expect the first to arrive (probably) in 2018, with the others following in 2020, 2022 and 2023.

Honestly as much as I love the guy, Cameron just needs to stop talking about all these damn sequels already. Just concentrate on getting this next sequel out and focuse on the ones he already announced. Even when this next one drops, does anybody actually think he will meet the target dates for any movie after this one? Talking about a 4th right now is like talking about unicorns.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘Avatar’ Sequels Book Release Dates, Starting in December 2020

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...se-dates-starting-in-december-2020/ar-BBA9MZP

Nearly eight years after the release of "Avatar" and its record-breaking $2.7 billion worldwide box office gross, James Cameron is finally putting his plans to turn his passion project into a multi-film saga into motion, as production on four "Avatar" sequels is officially underway.

The production launch was announced on the "Avatar" Facebook page on Saturday morning, along with release dates for each of the upcoming films.

"Avatar 2" is now tagged for a Dec. 18, 2020 release date, with "Avatar 3" set for Dec. 17, 2021. The fourth "Avatar" film will come out three years later on Dec. 20, 2024, followed by a fifth film on Dec. 19, 2025.

"Avatar 2" had originally been slated for a December 2014 release, but was bumped to 2016 and again to 2018. Last month, Cameron said his project wouldn't meet that 2018 date, either, pushing it to this 2020 release slot, which had originally been the slot for film No. 3.

https://www.facebook.com/Avatar/posts/10154838757419064:0

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Wow...waiting 11 years for the sequel? That's...impressive...half of the original audience will have died from old age by then (bad joke)

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good move on the Avatar 2 being Dec 18. No more Star Wars movies, so they can snag the holiday break. Beyond that, I doubt 4 or 5 get made.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good move on the Avatar 2 being Dec 18. No more Star Wars movies, so they can snag the holiday break. Beyond that, I doubt 4 or 5 get made.

I don't think Star Wars would have any worries. I bet both camps have an open dialogue anyway because of their partnership with Avatar Disney World project. I just doubt that if push came to shove Disney would care what Avatar does. If either moves, it's probably out of courtesy of the other in spirit of their join venture IMO.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Did Star Ward move their release dates now?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this isn't even relevant now, let alone a few years from now. Waited way too long--not that the original was any good anyway.

Gives me plenty of time to watch the first one before the sequels start coming out, eh? LOL

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I enjoyed the 1st Avatar. Not terribly original. Very predictable and heavily cliched.

But it was pretty to look at. It was one of the rare times where CG can be impressive and beautiful. Inception was another good example of that.

Unlike most modern day CG. I despise transformer movies and have a similar dislike for Marvel movies. Its like somebody barfed on the CG keyboard and its just a big mess of" WTF is going on?" on the screen.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did Star Ward move their release dates now?
Nope, but this trilogy will be over. There might be another Star Wars story in 2020, but the next SW trilogy probably won't kick off til 2023-25 would be my guess, but hopefully longer. Yes, Disney has said they want to make another trilogy after this one. They're going to burn out the public out on SW and milk it for all they can unfortunately.

I enjoyed the 1st Avatar. Not terribly original. Very predictable and heavily cliched.

But it was pretty to look at. It was one of the rare times where CG can be impressive and beautiful. Inception was another good example of that.
Yeah, I like it too. Not an original story, but a visual masterpiece. It was and probably still is the most technologically advanced movie made to this point.

Jump to about 12:30 on this. Pretty amazing

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nope, but this trilogy will be over. There might be another Star Wars story in 2020, but the next SW trilogy probably won't kick off til 2023-25 would be my guess, but hopefully longer. Yes, Disney has said they want to make another trilogy after this one. They're going to burn out the public out on SW and milk it for all they can unfortunately.

Yeah, I like it too. Not an original story, but a visual masterpiece. It was and probably still is the most technologically advanced movie made to this point.

Jump to about 12:30 on this. Pretty amazing

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

What? I thought they were going to be pushing out a SW movie each year, off shoots and the main SWs for years..

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What? I thought they were going to be pushing out a SW movie each year, off shoots and the main SWs for years..
They are, but after this trilogy they'll need to take some kind of break, imo, otherwise they'll over saturate the audience. But, it is Disney, so....

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are, but after this trilogy they'll need to take some kind of break, imo, otherwise they'll over saturate the audience. But, it is Disney, so....

Yep. Maybe a break but they will kick off a new trilogy. They didn't spend billions too let it sit.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yep. Maybe a break but they will kick off a new trilogy. They didn't spend billions too let it sit.
And, they've probably almost made that $4billion back between just the two movies and merch sales already.

I mean it was $4billion, but it makes ya wonder if Lucas is thinking, "Damn, I should have asked for $8billion..."
#RichPeopleProblems

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, they've probably almost made that $4billion back between just the two movies and merch sales already.

I mean it was $4billion, but it makes ya wonder if Lucas is thinking, "Damn, I should have asked for $8billion..."
#RichPeopleProblems

After marketing costs etc. They probably still have a ways to go to make back the cost.

LOL. You are probably right though, he is thinking he could have gotten more.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tell that to Marvel... also owned by the Mouse.

There will be no break until the human race ends or movies do... whichever comes first.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell that to Marvel... also owned by the Mouse.

There will be no break until the human race ends or movies do... whichever comes first.

Yep. Not unless there is hero burnout or some massive shift in the business and people don't want to see them anymore.

It's going to happen. It's just a matter of when. Either way, we will look back on this era someday and a sort of Renaissance for comic book films. Makes you wonder what genre will be the "hot" thing 20 years from now.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yep. Not unless there is hero burnout or some massive shift in the business and people don't want to see them anymore.

It's going to happen. It's just a matter of when. Either way, we will look back on this era someday and a sort of Renaissance for comic book films. Makes you wonder what genre will be the "hot" thing 20 years from now.
I'm already there and have been for a while.

I had to be dragged to Logan, I was totally uninspired by Civil War which everyone loved, and I have zero interest in Justice league, wonder woman, Spiderman redux 27, Black panther, white pather, Mexican Panther, Korean Panther...

Not interested. I'd be more interested in Avatar 2 than another superhero movie where the superhero struggles with both internal and external conflict only to have everything work out great in the end and everyone survives including people who died that are brought back to life.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I had to be dragged to Logan, I was totally uninspired by Civil War which everyone loved, and I have zero interest in Justice league, wonder woman, Spiderman redux 27, Black panther, white pather, Mexican Panther, Korean Panther...

Not interested. I'd be more interested in Avatar 2 than another superhero movie where the superhero struggles with both internal and external conflict only to have everything work out great in the end and everyone survives including people who died that are brought back to life.

Let's just hope we don't get Lion King 2 and Lion King 2 1/2 as the plot for these next two.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That last sentence is a killer, Bert!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disney delays 'Avatar 2'

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...sets-dates-three-star-170750497--finance.html

Walt Disney Co on Tuesday pushed back the release of James Cameron's sequel to box-office champion "Avatar" by a year, to December 2021

"Avatar 2," the follow-up to the 2009 blockbuster that is the highest-grossing film of all time, had originally been slated to reach theaters in 2014 but was delayed to 2017 and then to December 2020.

With the sequel now scheduled for December 2020, Disney moved "Avatar 3" to December 2023, "Avatar 4" to December 2025 and "Avatar 5" to December 2027.

A year ago, director Cameron told reporters he had begun filming on the second and third "Avatar" movies and had written the fourth and fifth films in the series.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose