Avatar: The Way of Water (aka Avatar 2)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Cameron to Shoot Avatar Sequels in New Zealand

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=112516

20th Century Fox and Lightstorm Entertainment have announced that the upcoming sequels to James Cameron's Avatar will all be shot in New Zealand. The three sequels will be shot back-to-back with reported significant subsidies from the New Zealand government.

The release of the first sequel will be in December 2016, with the second to follow in December 2017, and the third a year later. Production is expected to begin next year with Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, and Stephen Lang all returning in their respective roles.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah visuals were really impressive. Story was downright silly.

I still like to pop in the Bluray every now and then to show off my Home Theater but that is purely for the visuals and sound.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't think the story was silly, just familiar. I worry that he's going to be so preoccupied with visuals that the screenplay will be an afterthought--that's what happened with the first one, after all.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the story was silly, just familiar. I worry that he's going to be so preoccupied with visuals that the screenplay will be an afterthought--that's what happened with the first one, after all.

Story-by-numbers formula. I felt that was by design. The movie cost so much to make, they had to appeal to the widest audience. No risk-taking allowed.

Not apologizing for it. Not a fan. Just sort of ... understanding.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Visuals and 3D were spectacular. Have to be honest though....would much rather see him return to Terminator franchise versus putting out another Avatar.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be there opening day. Because i loved the first Avatar? Hell no. But it was an incredible visual experience, raising the bar with 3D/FX and I expect him to raise the bar again. has every movie he's ever made. I expect nothing different at this point.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be there opening day. Because i loved the first Avatar? Hell no. But it was an incredible visual experience, raising the bar with 3D/FX and I expect him to raise the bar again. has every movie he's ever made. I expect nothing different at this point.

That will be the only reason I will be there as well. However, if this is just more of the same?!? I might think twice about #3.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree. I'll be there as well.

I went and saw the original twice in the theater just for the amazing visuals. I swear that they used an actual Toruk (giant dragon thing) to make the movie. It looked so freaking real.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't watch movies just because of visuals. If I wanted visuals, I'd watch a Nat Geo special, or look up some pics online. Visuals alone are not even close to enough to get me to shell out the GNP of Africa for a movie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't watch movies just because of visuals. If I wanted visuals, I'd watch a Nat Geo special, or look up some pics online. Visuals alone are not even close to enough to get me to shell out the GNP of Africa for a movie.

okay.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But the vast majority of whom they make movies for do that is why they spend a billion dollars on them. If I am spending $18 a ticket to see a 3D movie, it better be visually amazing. If I want a great story, my home system is great for that, but I get to be more comfortable on my couch with my wife.

Look at Dredd, blah over all, but the 3D was nothing short of spectacular. I would not have enjoyed it nearly as much at home as I did in the theater in 3D. And because of all of that, I will see both of these in the theater just like all the other people that will make up a billion dollars in sales for each one.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I wasn't trying to say other people shouldn't--just putting in my 2 cents.

But the vast majority of whom they make movies for do that is why they spend a billion dollars on them. If I am spending $18 a ticket to see a 3D movie, it better be visually amazing. If I want a great story, my home system is great for that, but I get to be more comfortable on my couch with my wife.

Look at Dredd, blah over all, but the 3D was nothing short of spectacular. I would not have enjoyed it nearly as much at home as I did in the theater in 3D. And because of all of that, I will see both of these in the theater just like all the other people that will make up a billion dollars in sales for each one.

Movie prices are bad enough, but 3D prices are insane. In a way I'm glade I hate and refuse to watch 3D--it gives me headaches and the glasses are uncomfortable.

And hey, I thought Dredd was pretty good :)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Avatar 2 Reportedly Won't Be Ready In Time For Planned Christmas 2017 Release

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/22/avatar-2-reportedly-wont-be-ready-in-time-for-planned-christmas-/

Just last month James Cameron said Avatar 2 would be in theaters "Christmas of 2017," but The Wrap is now reporting that the sequel to the 2009 mega-blockbuster won't be ready for its targeted release date.

20th Century Fox declined comment, however, "individuals with knowledge of the situation confirmed" the delay to The Wrap. This is the second time that Avatar 2 has been delayed. It was originally supposed to open last Christmas.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/22/avatar-2-reportedly-wont-be-ready-in-time-for-planned-christmas-/

Just last month James Cameron said Avatar 2 would be in theaters "Christmas of 2017," but The Wrap is now reporting that the sequel to the 2009 mega-blockbuster won't be ready for its targeted release date.

20th Century Fox declined comment, however, "individuals with knowledge of the situation confirmed" the delay to The Wrap. This is the second time that Avatar 2 has been delayed. It was originally supposed to open last Christmas.

Even though I know this has a lot to do with the shuffling of the deck that has been going on the past week or so, I am so numb to Cameron and his movie schedules. I just shrug off anything that comes out of his camp when it comes to movie release dates or schedules.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

is anyone going to be all that excited for these sequels when/if they eventually come out? The first one really didn't age well. I know it's ludicrous to bet against Cameron at this point, but ten years later the sequels come out?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
is anyone going to be all that excited for these sequels when/if they eventually come out? The first one really didn't age well. I know it's ludicrous to bet against Cameron at this point, but ten years later the sequels come out?

Let's not forget he sort of hit lightning in a bottle with 3D. Not to mention he was touting "new" motion capture. Since that time we have seen a ton of 3D and a ton of motion capture. None of that stuff is going to be new.

I still think these movies probably do very well but I don't think it will be the same circumstances.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm interested to see what new things he's going to bring to the table, because Cameron is a visionary when it comes to this stuff, good script or no.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He does have some rabid fans out there...like this guy:

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Let's not forget he sort of hit lightning in a bottle with 3D. Not to mention he was touting "new" motion capture. Since that time we have seen a ton of 3D and a ton of motion capture. None of that stuff is going to be new.

I still think these movies probably do very well but I don't think it will be the same circumstances.
Yeah. From a technical perspective Avatar broke new ground and was amazing visual eye candy, but the story itself wasn't anything new.

Don't forget it took Avatar 34 weeks to make the $$ it did. And like you said none of the technology will be new unless Cameron has something up his sleeve. It'll make money, but I doubt it'll come close to what the fist one did.

No studio in its right mind will try to go up against a SW episode movie after what happened over the last month.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

trust me, if history is any indicator, whatever the hell his company have been doing for almost ten years will likely make lightning in a bottle strike for a third time. I mean, it was his company that revolutionized the mo-cap, 3D. And all Cameron does is push the envelope and show us things we've never seen before.

Think about the Abyss... then the new Terminator in T2 which we had never seen anything like and then the massiveness of Titanic and then Avatar. All the guy does is push the boundaries of what's been done on the big screen and ultimately surpass them.

And also, let's not forget that for as well as Star Wars is doing, Avatar is still going to make over A BILLION dollars more world-wide... which doesn't even account for inflation.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. From a technical perspective Avatar broke new ground and was amazing visual eye candy, but the story itself wasn't anything new.

Don't forget it took Avatar 34 weeks to make the $$ it did. And like you said none of the technology will be new unless Cameron has something up his sleeve. It'll make money, but I doubt it'll come close to what the fist one did.

No studio in its right mind will try to go up against a SW episode movie after what happened over the last month.

It seems like you're saying that it the 34 weeks it took Avatar to make it's money is somehow a negative in comparison to Star Wars when in fact, I think the opposite it true. Remember that was an "original" concept that ended up making 750 million in America. That means there was no great hype for item which means it's legs were INSANE and for MONTHS. Star Wars on the other hand was the continuation of the most beloved saga of all time from 30 years ago with more hype then I've ever seen for a movie and was GINORMOUSLY front-loaded (not saying that as a negative), but has already dropped off it's perch at the BO.

And don't forget also, that when all's said and done, Avatar will still likely take in a billion dollars more then Star Wars worldwide. That's still beyond insane. And it can't just be chalked up to new tech with numbers that outrageous. I feel like outside this country, that movie was loved, it wasn't such an American thing, whereas Star Wars outside this country has played like other massive blockbusters... which I've been surprised by.

Now, all that said, I agree, no studio would open domestic against Star Wars, but whenever Cameron does bring his next massive movie to the screen, I wouldn't bet against him from continuing to create new tech/awe inspiring FX that revolutionizes the industry. He's seemingly done that with 3 of his last 4 movies and it seems like the reason he waits so long to make them is so the tech can catch up to his vision, which is usually stunning (not story-wise necessarily, but definitely spectacle wise).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose