Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Atomic Blonde

Release date: July 28, 2017
Studio: Focus Features
Director: David Leitch
MPAA Rating: R (for sequences of strong violence, language throughout, and some sexuality/nudity)
Screenwriter: Kurt Johnstad
Genre: Thriller

Starring: Charlize Theron, James McAvoy, John Goodman, Til Schweiger, Eddie Marsan, Sofia Boutella, Toby Jones

Plot Summary: Oscar winner Charlize Theron explodes into summer in "Atomic Blonde," a breakneck action-thriller that follows MI6’s most lethal assassin through a ticking time bomb of a city simmering with revolution and double-crossing hives of traitors.

The crown jewel of Her Majesty’s Secret Intelligence Service, Agent Lorraine Broughton (Theron) is equal parts spycraft, sensuality and savagery, willing to deploy any of her skills to stay alive on her impossible mission. Sent alone into Berlin to deliver a priceless dossier out of the destabilized city, she partners with embedded station chief David Percival (James McAvoy) to navigate her way through the deadliest game of spies.

A blistering blend of sleek action, gritty sexuality and dazzling style, "Atomic Blonde" is directed by David Leitch ("John Wick," upcoming "Deadpool 2"). Also starring John Goodman, Til Schweiger, Eddie Marsan, Sofia Boutella and Toby Jones, the film is based on the Oni Press graphic novel “The Coldest City,” by Antony Johnston & illustrator Sam Hart. Kurt Johnstad ("300") wrote the screenplay.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
‘Atomic Blonde’ Doesn’t Pretend Women Fight Like Men, And The Result Is Awesome
This is how a (highly-skilled, highly-trained) woman would fight.
“Atomic Blonde” is a highly stylized action film, complete with non-stop fighting, classic bad guys and ’80s music. But putting the merits of its storytelling aside, the Charlize Theron vehicle got one thing right: If a woman was an ass-kicking international spy, she would fight exactly like this.

Theron stars as Lorraine Broughton, a sultry and highly-skilled MI-6 agent based in London during the late 1980s, right before the Berlin Wall came down. The storyline of the movie is a mix of twists and turns as Theron is sent to Berlin and tasked with finding “The List,” a document containing top-secret British and American intelligence information. Fellow spy David Percival ― played by the swaggy James McAvoy ― assists Theron on her quest to find this list before the Soviets.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...e4b02a8434b5df58?1a&ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Review: Dressed to Kill, ‘Atomic Blonde’ Also Shoots to Kill
“Atomic Blonde” is going to make an excellent highlight reel. It already is one, in a manner of speaking, given that its strengths are lavishly violent, inventively choreographed fights that have been glued together by nonsense and Charlize Theron. The nonsense involves spies chasing secrets in Berlin just before the fall of the wall, which may suggest John le Carré but plays closer to a dumb and dumber take on Boris and Natasha. Mostly, the movie is an excuse to watch a beautiful, deviously clever female avatar as she is stripped naked, dolled up and repeatedly beaten down only to rise again.

This sort of spectacle — dress her up, dress her down, smack her around and wait for payback — isn’t new, even if moviemakers like to insist otherwise. What’s moderately different here is the sexed-up packaging of the violence in combination with Ms. Theron, who plays Lorraine Broughton, a spy in Her Majesty’s Secret Service with a blond bob and a fondness for lethal heels. Like James Bond, Lorraine shoots to kill while remaining fabulously dressed to kill. This means she gets slammed around a lot, and takes almost as much punishment as she metes out. She’s a punching bag, but she’s also a fantasist’s dream girl: the avenging goddess, destroyer of men.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/movies/atomic-blonde-review-charlize-theron.html

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
three really great action scenes, but overall, the movie was pretty damn mediocre, with "twists" so obvious, Stevie Wonder could see them coming from a mile away.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
three really great action scenes, but overall, the movie was pretty damn mediocre, with "twists" so obvious, Stevie Wonder could see them coming from a mile away.

Very much disagree. I thought it was a fantastic movie. The depiction of violence, and how the human body reacts to it, was nails. The cinematography and use of music was perfect. 5 stars out of 5 for me.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It's funny because I finally let some friends talk me into seeing this, then I wound up being the only one who liked it and I did not want to see it at all.

The fight in the stairs was mind blowing. Probably the best physically acted fight scene I've seen.

There were things I didn't like; like how comically tough the bad guys were, even showing up again after being stabbed multiple times, in the throat lol.

I agree with Cheese the Macavoy part of the story was off-putting because there was zero surprise there, I always knew he was screwing her over.

However there were things I LOVED, for example the lesbian sex scene was worth the price of admission. So artistic and enlightening, really makes ya think... :shocker::devil:

If you stayed for the post credits you missed out, because in reality she was actually a Canadian spy, who was posing as an American spy who was posing as an English spy who was pretending to be a Russian double agent. :p

So all in all I didn't love it, but I didn't dislike it as I was expecting to going in.

Also, I realize John Goodman is kindof a one note guy, but I think he's been really good in the past few things I've seen him in. This, Kong, Patriots Day, Cloverfield, Argo, Flight...

Just good to see him looking so healthy and working a lot. As a kid who grew up watching Rosanne I'm always happy to see John Goodman doing well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny because I finally let some friends talk me into seeing this, then I wound up being the only one who liked it and I did not want to see it at all.

The fight in the stairs was mind blowing. Probably the best physically acted fight scene I've seen.

There were things I didn't like; like how comically tough the bad guys were, even showing up again after being stabbed multiple times, in the throat lol.

I agree with Cheese the Macavoy part of the story was off-putting because there was zero surprise there, I always knew he was screwing her over.

However there were things I LOVED, for example the lesbian sex scene was worth the price of admission. So artistic and enlightening, really makes ya think... :shocker::devil:

If you stayed for the post credits you missed out, because in reality she was actually a Canadian spy, who was posing as an American spy who was posing as an English spy who was pretending to be a Russian double agent. :p

So all in all I didn't love it, but I didn't dislike it as I was expecting to going in.

Also, I realize John Goodman is kindof a one note guy, but I think he's been really good in the past few things I've seen him in. This, Kong, Patriots Day, Cloverfield, Argo, Flight...

Just good to see him looking so healthy and working a lot. As a kid who grew up watching Rosanne I'm always happy to see John Goodman doing well.

please tell me the post credits thing is a joke.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw this last night and loved it. Great soundtrack and just absolute ass kicking action.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of likea female John Wick?

that's definitely what it wants to be, but I don't think it comes close. part of that is because there were literally ZERO expectations with John Wick. But also because the plot is just meh... like boring in between action scenes and predictable, where as in between action scenes in John Wick, we were introduced to a whole new underground world in the hotel and all the assassins going after him.

Not that John Wick had a ton of plot... but the movie knew it was... simple with a little kick storewide and a boatload of kicking ass otherwise.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
saw this the other night on HBO...
the movie itself is very much...hmmm, whats the word???... Meh....

but the soundtrack on the other hand... that rocked.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
saw this the other night on HBO...
the movie itself is very much...hmmm, whats the word???... Meh....

but the soundtrack on the other hand... that rocked.
Movie is ok. But Charlize and Sofia are worth watching :)

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I watched this movie with zero knowledge of the plot and only that it had Charlize Theron in it. I really liked it! I was entertained the whole time. And I definitely did not see the twist coming so i guess that means I was just along for the ride instead of overthinking everything.

Charlize is such an incredible actress.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave