Atlanta Falcons @ Arizona Cardinals Pregame thread. 10/7/19-10/12/19

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think ANYTHING is possible with Kyler Murray at QB! ;)
Haha, I love your optimism, my man. Zero sarcasm. Let's get it!

Just don’t be shocked if we win, even though I expect you to do that.
I'll be amped if we do, and we can celebrate together. Still won't be a signature win, but I'll love it!

I find it funny that you are sold on the idea that the Cards are going to get pummeled, but Falcon's fans for the most part seem to think it's ridiculous that they are even favored to win.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/...ls-odds-falcons-favored-on-the-road-in-week-6
Pessimism on each side, I guess. But they sound like me. Lots of expecting to lose, almost wanting to lose, so we can move on from a system (be it coaching or management), that we don't believe in.

I'd rather win and watch Kyler front flip over defenders to 8 TDs. This just feels like a major talent imbalance.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

I'll be amped if we do, and we can celebrate together. Still won't be a signature win, but I'll love it!

Pessimism on each side, I guess. But they sound like me. Lots of expecting to lose, almost wanting to lose, so we can move on from a system (be it coaching or management), that we don't believe in.

I'd rather win and watch Kyler front flip over defenders to 8 TDs. This just feels like a major talent imbalance.
And yet despite their supposed good talent they have been a very bad team this year. Talent doesn't do you a whole lot of good if things are out of sync. Sounds like one of their major problems has been their O-line this year and we have seen first hand what can happen to a QB and passing game when the QB just doesn't get much time to throw. I suspect they will make some good plays when Ryan gets time to throw, but through many stretches of the game we will be able to keep them out of rhythm.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
And yet despite their supposed good talent they have been a very bad team this year. Talent doesn't do you a whole lot of good if things are out of sync. Sounds like one of their major problems has been their O-line this year and we have seen first hand what can happen to a QB and passing game when the QB just doesn't get much time to throw. I suspect they will make some good plays when Ryan gets time to throw, but through many stretches of the game we will be able to keep them out of rhythm.
We haven't kept anyone out of rhythm, but sure. We're middle of the pack in sacks and in the bottom three of all passing defensive categories.

I don't like being a darksider, I really don't.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
We haven't kept anyone out of rhythm, but sure. We're middle of the pack in sacks and in the bottom three of all passing defensive categories.

I don't like being a darksider, I really don't.
I said keep them out of rhythm for stretches of the game and we have done that in most of our games so far. Arguably the only game where we couldn't was the Carolina game where it seemed like they pretty much stayed in rhythm for the entire game. Also our offense has been doing a good job of chewing up clock and that can help to get the other team out of rhythm as well.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The Cardinals have not gone up against a team with the quality of WRs like the Falcons have. Jones, Samu, and Ridley is the best group they will face so far this season and when you add in Hooper who is having a good season at TE this is the best group they will have faced to date. One of these are going to have a big game this week. 100+ yds. and 2 TDs.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
JMO, but we're going to have to score in the thirties to have a chance to win. I can't see us holding MR much under 400 yards based on how we closed out the Bengals' game. If Julio Jones doesn't play, we might keep Atlanta under 350 yards. If the Thompsons play better than last week, then that also improves our chances.

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
I'm probably jinxing it just by saying this, but I have a good feeling about this one. The Falcons offense has looked mostly stagnant, their defense is horrendous, and it's at our house. Dan Quinn is a garbage head coach. Final score? I'm gonna say... 35-14?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm probably jinxing it just by saying this, but I have a good feeling about this one. The Falcons offense has looked mostly stagnant, their defense is horrendous, and it's at our house. Dan Quinn is a garbage head coach. Final score? I'm gonna say... 35-14?
I’ll have what he’s having!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
David Johnson is a game-time decision... But you would think that even if he decides to give it a go, his effectiveness will likely be reduced. Kirk will likely still be out, or, like DJ, if he plays he certainly won't be 100%...

But even if we had both of those two at 100%, I still don't see us being able to match the production of the Atlanta offense.
I am seeing this game as a serious potential for a very disappointing blow-out.
I'll go with:

ATL: 45
Cards: 17

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I love that on one hand, you expect us to get killed and talk about the major talent imbalance... and then say if we somehow win it won't be a signature W.

Which is it? If this team, which in your opinion has a massive talent imbalance and you believe will get killed, beats the Falcons, it still doesn't mean anything? You've literally created a no-win situation for this team with that kind of double-speak.

These are your two viewpoints:

"I think we're going to get rolled because the Falcons are so much better than us."

"A win doesn't really matter, nor have much importance because the Falcons suck."

Pick one and stick with it for pete's sake.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I find it funny that you are sold on the idea that the Cards are going to get pummeled, but Falcon's fans for the most part seem to think it's ridiculous that they are even favored to win.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/...ls-odds-falcons-favored-on-the-road-in-week-6
The two takes aren't exclusive.

Cards are capable of beating the Falcs. Falcs are capable of totalling the Cards. The odds point about 75% towards Atlanta winning. So you roll the dice and see how things play out.

Big questionmarks - What impact has Atlanta's 1 - 4 - 0 had on team morale...& ditto all the negative buzz criticizing Quinn? And a regular Cardinal questionmark - How much will Murray have improved during the past week?

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
scott bordow (@sbordow)
10/10/19, 12:27 PM
At open portion of practice, did not see Terrell Suggs, David Johnson, Charles Washington, Dennis Gardeck, Haason Reddick. Zeke Turner working on side. Christian Kirk, Damiere Byrd, Tramaine Brock practicing

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I mean...MAYBE its possible the Falcons are bad enough to where we can drop back and throw 40 to 50 times like early in the season.

Just gotta hope Kyler is really dialed in and moving up in the pocket to throw/run.

Kliffs gotta figure out the red zone and be willing to go for more 4th down and manageable's if need be.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I love that on one hand, you expect us to get killed and talk about the major talent imbalance... and then say if we somehow win it won't be a signature W.

Which is it? If this team, which in your opinion has a massive talent imbalance and you believe will get killed, beats the Falcons, it still doesn't mean anything? You've literally created a no-win situation for this team with that kind of double-speak.

These are your two viewpoints:

"I think we're going to get rolled because the Falcons are so much better than us."

"A win doesn't really matter, nor have much importance because the Falcons suck."

Pick one and stick with it for pete's sake.
It has to do with how these teams are built, and the scenario we're presented with.

I think, possibly, if we beat the Falcons, they might be a victim of truly bad coaching or locker room malfunction. Honestly, I don't know. My perspective is that we're a really bad team that just can't keep up with their offense, whether it's by defending or putting up points in a shootout. My thought about us losing has way more to do with how bad I think our current talent is, not that the Falcons are a good team that will beat anyone in a given week.

But obviously, if the Falcons are the bumbling, poorly coached mess that others are saying, we need to take a step back and question what that win looks like, if we do. If we dominate? Maybe I'll think it's a signature win.

I would love for us to come out against an opponent who has proven themselves against other good teams, possibly one of our terrifyingly good division opponents, and find a way to win. Maybe even soundly... THAT would be a signature win.