Atlanta Braves @ Arizona Diamondbacks Sep 6 - Sep 9

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Did Sunday’s demise start with putting Box in - or have I not yet awoken from a nightmare??
I know Boxberger is not the only problem, but he has been A problem with blowing these saves— why does Lovullo keep putting him in??
This could be a rhetorical question if no one is calm enough to answer...

I value loyalty to ballplayers, but I think that Torey goes overboard. He seems obsessed with starting as many players as he can, even though he had said he would stop doing that down the stretch.

It is a good thing the rosters don't expand to 100 in September. I have no doubt that he would feel a need to play all 100, thus benching the primary players. :) (note the smiley). For example, Owings is a sub-.200 hitter. He should not be thrust back into the position of a primary pinch hitter just because he was added to the roster. He hasn't earned it. Neither has Bracho earned the right to be part of the middle inning relievers every time he has been un-demoted.

And Torey seems hesitant to make a change if, after some time, the regular performers are not delivering. Ziegler, with his ongoing performance and history with the D-backs as closer should definitely have hopscotched Boxberger and Archie within the closing trio.

Sometimes a nice guy is not a good manager, because he doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Whether a 25- or 40-man roster, the more predominant positions on the team have to be earned.

It might seem that those two example contradict each other. On one hand, still going with a 4-man starting outfield. And 3 lead Catchers. And shifting infielders between positions because each has to have a mandatory day off.

But on the other hand, being very slow to react to our 7-8-9 inning relief rotation having major problems. Inconsistency and inflexibility at the the same time. It seems that Torey has taken the wrong side of both circumstances. Each problem has to be addressed individually if they are going to be solved.

And the manager has to be strong enough to set the well being of the team as the top priority.

Edit: I see that Shaggy posted in the Rockies thread that Boxberger has been removed as closer. Way to go, Torey.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I value loyalty to ballplayers, but I think that Torey goes overboard. He seems obsessed with starting as many players as he can, even though he had said he would stop doing that down the stretch.

It is a good thing the rosters don't expand to 100 in September. I have no doubt that he would feel a need to play all 100, thus benching the primary players. :) (note the smiley). For example, Owings is a sub-.200 hitter. He should not be thrust back into the position of a primary pinch hitter just because he was added to the roster. He hasn't earned it. Neither has Bracho earned the right to be part of the middle inning relievers every time he has been un-demoted.

And Torey seems hesitant to make a change if, after some time, the regular performers are not delivering. Ziegler, with his ongoing performance and history with the D-backs as closer should definitely have hopscotched Boxberger and Archie within the closing trio.

Sometimes a nice guy is not a good manager, because he doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Whether a 25- or 40-man roster, the more predominant positions on the team have to be earned.

It might seem that those two example contradict each other. On one hand, still going with a 4-man starting outfield. And 3 lead Catchers. And shifting infielders between positions because each has to have a mandatory day off.

But on the other hand, being very slow to react to our 7-8-9 inning relief rotation having major problems. Inconsistency and inflexibility at the the same time. It seems that Torey has taken the wrong side of both circumstances. Each problem has to be addressed individually if they are going to be solved.

And the manager has to be strong enough to set the well being of the team as the top priority.

Edit: I see that Shaggy posted in the Rockies thread that Boxberger has been removed as closer. Way to go, Torey.

Exactly how I see it. He's trying to please every player. Tonight, he was a manager and not a friend. He played all the correct players to try to win the game, rather than to try to make everyone happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA