At least Plummer had a plan

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Plummer had plans for Denver before the season ended

By JOHN MARSHALL, AP Sports Writer
March 6, 2003

DENVER (AP) -- In the closing seconds of Denver's final game of 2002, Broncos fans began a chant of ``We want Jake!''

Jake Plummer was still in an Arizona Cardinals uniform at the time, but he couldn't hide from his thoughts.

``They were chanting 'We want Jake!' and I was thinking in my head, 'I want you,' '' Plummer said.

Both got their wish on Thursday, when Plummer signed a seven-year, $40 million contract to take over as Denver's starting quarterback.

``I really couldn't voice that opinion at the time -- a lot of things had to happen in order for this to come to,'' Plummer said. ``But you think back to Dec. 29 and now it's March 6, it's been a long wait, a very anxious waiting time. And I'm ready.''

Denver also signed defensive tackle Daryl Gardener to a six-year, $33 million, filling the hole left by the release of Chester McGlockton last week.

The Broncos decided to pursue Plummer and Gardener early in the free-agency process and moved quickly to sign both.

``We had two guys targeted,'' Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. ``Very seldom do you get the two guys you want in free agency.''

Not since John Elway retired have the Broncos had a quarterback who can make plays on the run and pull out late victories.

The Broncos believe Plummer fills both needs.

Elway was known for his scrambling ability and leading the Broncos to 47 fourth-quarter comebacks, most in league history, before retiring after winning the Super Bowl in 1999.

Elway's replacement, Brian Griese, was chastised because he couldn't do either.

Although inconsistent during his six seasons with Arizona, Plummer can turn broken plays into gains and rally his team to late wins. Elway needed 16 seasons to reach his total, but Plummer already has 21 comeback wins.

``Obviously, Elway's record and what he's done here speaks for itself,'' Plummer said. ``If I can do half of what he did, it would be very nice.''

The Broncos will take it, too.

AP - Mar 6, 6:44 EST
More Photos

Denver took Griese in the third round of the 1998 draft with the hope he could fill Elway's shoes. It didn't work out.

Griese went to the Pro Bowl in 2000, but struggled with inconsistency the past two seasons. Worse yet, Griese was just 27-24 as a starter and the Broncos have missed the playoffs three of the past four years -- unacceptable for a team that is used to winning Super Bowls.

The Broncos have indicated they will release Griese on June 1 to save salary-cap space and have given him permission to seek a trade.

``It just didn't work out and we had to move in a different direction,'' Shanahan said. ``I think it was the best thing for him and I think it was the best thing for us.''

But signing Plummer isn't risk-free.

Plummer, 28, hasn't exactly lit up the league. He led the Cardinals to their first playoff win since 1947 in his first full year as a starter in 1998, but has been plagued by poor decisions and inconsistency since.

Plummer has thrown 114 interceptions in 82 career starts and is coming off a subpar 2002 season in which his 65.7 passer rating was among the worst in the league among starters.

The Broncos hope that by working with Shanahan and offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, both known for developing quarterbacks, Plummer will reach his full potential.

``I'm ready to come into this situation and reverse that trend as best I can,'' Plummer said. ``And that's my full goal. The past is the past.''

Mrospi

Reaction score
I can hardly wait for him to throw his first slant that is taken to the house by the defensive and I hope it happens in Denver so he gets to full treatment when the fans start chanting, we want Brian, we want Brian!!!!!

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Go

I'm glad to hear all that stuff Plummer said about wanting to stay here was true :rolleyes: I hope he feels appreciated there, because when he performs the same way he did here those "We want Jakes" are going to turn into "We want Jake out of heres"

adam
________
MarcelineDeLocke

Last edited:

Mrospi

Reaction score
The Best part about this is once they figure out he can't win there either.... the only place that might have him is Cincinnati..........That would be so perfect!!!! In 2 years he'll be with the Bungles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wave:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave