ASU Basketball 2019/2020

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Josh Christopher, 5 star recruit, coming to Tempe! Guard U, baby!

Surprised! Most had him all but a lock for Michigan. Which I would have been fine with, too, as I am both an ASU and Michigan fan.

But glad to have him with the Devils - they probably need him more than Michigan does.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Will be a fun team to watch with Alonzo Verge, Marcus Bagley and Josh Christopher as your big three. I would anticipate after not being drafted, Remy Martin will return for his senior year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So exciting to land a 5 star guard in Josh Christopher. He seemed like a virtual lock for Michigan.

This is from azcentral:

The Wolverines pursued him for nearly a year. The coaching staff watched him play on the AAU circuit, and hosted him for an official visit in November.

Christopher is ranked No. 10 overall nationally in the class of 2020 by 247Sports.

The 6-5 guard also spurned UCLA and Missouri with his commitment to Bobby Hurley and the Sun Devils.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...etball-commitment-shocks-michigan/2987993001/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is more about Luther Muhammad from azcentral:

Guard Luther Muhammad, a two-year starter at Ohio State, is transferring to Arizona State basketball.

The 6-3 Muhammad likely will sit out in 2020-21 then have two years of eligibility remaining, similar to Rob Edwards' case when he transferred to ASU from Cleveland State.

Muhammad chose ASU over Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, Seton Hall, UCLA, West Virginia and New Mexico, according to 247 Sports.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...e-starter-tranfers-asu-basketball/2994380001/

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will be a fun team to watch with Alonzo Verge, Marcus Bagley and Josh Christopher as your big three. I would anticipate after not being drafted, Remy Martin will return for his senior year.

Not that high on younger Bagley, he's not bad but he's not nearly as good as big bro. Verge and Josh will be really tough to handle, if I were advising Josh on a school that's right for him it's ASU because of the way Hurley lets his guards go with the ball, not a great shooter but he's so good off the dribble. The rumor on Martin is he has a standing offer to play in the Philippines(he's half Filipino) but honestly most of the pro teams over there are in areas that have real Covid 19 lockdown issues, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to come back to school now.

I thought Christopher was going to Michigan so nice surprise for the Pac 12. Also nice all the rumors from USC sites were wrong, they were all insisting Ziaire and Josh were both going to USC.

UCLA was recruiting Luther Muhammad too, very good defender, very athletic, not a great shooter or scorer but very good player will be your best defender right away.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Romello White reportedly entering the transfer portal. I'm left trying to figure this out.

Doug Haller‏Verified account @DougHaller

Arizona State forward Romello White is in the transfer portal, per source.

3-year starter.

Averaged 10.2, 8.8 rebounds last season. Recently decided to test NBA Draft waters.

Doesn't mean he's definitely leaving, but never a good sign.

6:14 PM - 3 May 2020

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Romello White reportedly entering the transfer portal. I'm left trying to figure this out.

3-year starter.

Averaged 10.2, 8.8 rebounds last season. Recently decided to test NBA Draft waters.

He’s reuniting with Jerry Stackhouse at Vanderbilt.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s reuniting with Jerry Stackhouse at Vanderbilt.

Do you have a link to the story or know exactly why he is transferring?

It's not like the program has many big men.

TJ

Reaction score
Do you have a link to the story or know exactly why he is transferring?

It's not like the program has many big men.
247 already has a crystal ball to Vandy and White put a “do not contact” note in his transfer papers, which means he knows where he’s going. Stack was his AAU coach and they’re very close. There was some mild chatter that when Stack took the job last season that White would look to leave, but that didn’t manifest obviously.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
247 already has a crystal ball to Vandy and White put a “do not contact” note in his transfer papers, which means he knows where he’s going. Stack was his AAU coach and they’re very close. There was some mild chatter that when Stack took the job last season that White would look to leave, but that didn’t manifest obviously.

Appreciate the information. Arizona State will need an add some big men. I'm hoping Hurley has a plan.

For those joining the conversation in progress here is a link.

https://247sports.com/college/kentu...-White-enters-NCAA-transfer-portal-146780525/

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

3-year starter.

Good for him. Hope he gets some playing time and closer to home for family and friends.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for him. Hope he gets some playing time and closer to home for family and friends.

I still wonder why Arizona State basketball is losing so many players. Hopefully there is a bigger plan yet to be announced with more incoming players. Sun Devils need some big men.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still wonder why Arizona State basketball is losing so many players. Hopefully there is a bigger plan yet to be announced with more incoming players. Sun Devils need some big men.
A lot of private speculation between my devil friends. Publicly it's just an NCAA thing now, good for them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh Christopher gets the all clear to wear James Harden's retired jersey number 13.

From Arizona Sports:

It looks like Arizona State signee Josh Christopher got the all-clear to keep his jersey number when he steps onto the college court for the first time.

The No. 10 prospect in his class, according to 247 Sports’ composite, Christopher will suit up in the No. 13 uniform despite the number having been retired in 2015. That’s because James Harden, whose jersey of the same number sits in the Desert Financial Arena rafters, gave Christopher his blessing.

Got the Blessing @JHarden13 https://t.co/5rljEibr6Q

— Josh(ua) Christopher (@Jaygup23) May 7, 2020

https://arizonasports.com/story/229...-wear-james-hardens-retired-no-13-jersey-asu/

TJ

Reaction score
I was wrong. Romello to Ole Miss

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anthony Coleman is rejoining the ASU basketball staff.

From Arizona Sports:

Arizona State basketball is hiring Anthony Coleman as an assistant coach, Jeff Goodman reported Tuesday.

Coleman will replace Rasheen Davis, Goodman added.

Coleman was hired at Colorado just a year ago as an assistant coach for Tad Boyle’s staff.

Before that, he was with ASU for three seasons under head coach Bobby Hurley and helped recruit both Lu Dort and Zylan Cheatham, who are both with NBA organizations now.

https://arizonasports.com/story/230...l-to-hire-anthony-coleman-as-assistant-coach/