ASU Basketball 2018/2019

Discussion in 'Arizona State' started by devilalum, Nov 7, 2018.

1. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

These losses since the Kansas game have been brutal. I have no idea why we, especially Dort, are just flat out blowing layups and point blank shots at alarming rates. These should have been easy wins. Hell, we couldve beat Kansas more comfortably.

We cannot lose to Colorado today.

2. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

I know very little about basketball but I have felt for years this avoidance of using the backboard for things has been a for cause to the misses of layups and put backs.

This team needs to string together done wins starting now.

3. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

* old man rant*

I know. It drives me crazy how they dont use the glass nowadays. As an undersized post player I used it all the time. I would use glass on medium shots as well. I wasnt awesome, but I did make second team All City my senior year. But this was pounded into my brain by my coaches to go glass, and use my wide body to keep taller guys off my shooting hand.

But, that's not the game now analytics says jack up 3 pointers or drive to the rim. Hell, it's getting rarer and rarer to see guys who can actually play on the block anymore.

* old man rant over *

Mainstreet likes this.
  4. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

This team is a really bad shooting team. And when on offense, there is zero flow and limited ball movement...
    And against Utah, they completely crapped the bed on defense. It looked like they were tired as the effort on defense was pathetic. Utah has wide open looks from midway thru the first half thru the rest of the game - and the Utes made the Devils pay big time...
    Dort has looked pedestrian since getting off to such a great start to the season. And Remy Martin annoys the hell out of me. He’s always, like ALWAYS out of control, takes stupid shots and causes way too many turnovers...
    For some reason, White and Lake disappear for long stretches... as do Lawrence, Cherry and Cheatham.. Rob Edwards is now their most consistent scorer... and that’s not saying much.

5. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

6. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

7. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

Considering how poorly ASU started the game last night, they sure recovered and ended up winning.

8. devilalum

devilalum Salary Cap Casualty

After they woke up they were in total control. Martin had a monster game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

It sounds like Remy got them started. I don't want the Sun Devils to let down like they did last season after a great start. The last two PAC 12 wins are encouraging.

10. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

It's good to see the team as a whole playing better after those two ugly loses post-Kansas. But IMHO, I just don't trust Martin to be the leader of this team. I don't think Hurley is 100% using him as such, and I REALLY hope he refrains from making Remy the alpha leader. He's good in spots. Provides energy at times when it's needed. But the downsides to him are hard to gloss over. Too often, he plays undisciplined ball, taking bad shots and missing most of them. He can be a turnover machine at times... I dunno... I kinda wish they had a credible alternative that could take some of the minutes away from Martin.

11. devilalum

Dort can’t shoot.

12. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Yep... which is why I said I "wish we had a credible alternative..." We don't. :(

13. devilalum

If he could shoot he’d be a top 5 pick.

I agree

14. cwamjn

cwamjn Registered

To play more consistently they need to make sure they get major contributions from at least two of Cherry, Cheatham, Lawrence or White each game. If Martin's shot falls that's gravy. Dort has a huge ceiling but he can't shoot, he came here because he felt Hurley was the best teacher.

82CardsGrad likes this.