ASU Basketball (2012-13)

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
the lack of depth is truly scary, but Ruslan has been playing very well (for him) lately, hope he can keep it up

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I was at the game and the atmosphere was great, crowds are getting better slowly and the student section was packed

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
That was a big win! Even better with the obnoxious UCLA fan sitting right across the aisle from me.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't happen. I was driving back from Sacramento and missed the game so it doesn't count.

Sheesh, I called this several days ago UCLA would be up for UA and then lose to ASU.

Congrats to ASU, sounds like they just didn't guard Drew, will be interesting to see if other schools back off him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't happen. I was driving back from Sacramento and missed the game so it doesn't count.

Sheesh, I called this several days ago UCLA would be up for UA and then lose to ASU.

Congrats to ASU, sounds like they just didn't guard Drew, will be interesting to see if other schools back off him.

Although I saw the game, over the years I've used this same approach to convince myself we never lost in the tourney to Santa Clara. Errr, Santa Who?

Steve

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
BTW, had to mention this..

At the end of the game, with about 3 seconds to go, ASU was simply dribbling out the clock when Jordan Adams decided to steal the ball and try to do a stat padding dunk at the end..

Only Carrick Felix had other plans and blocked his dunk attempt from behind as time expired..

Here is the link incase you missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYwFreAQhMY&feature=youtu.be

It was my favorite moment of the season when felix blocked him at the buzzer... A low brow/douche move by Adams results in a great moment for Felix!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

At the end of the game, with about 3 seconds to go, ASU was simply dribbling out the clock when Jordan Adams decided to steal the ball and try to do a stat padding dunk at the end..

Only Carrick Felix had other plans and blocked his dunk attempt from behind as time expired..

Here is the link incase you missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYwFreAQhMY&feature=youtu.be

It was my favorite moment of the season when felix blocked him at the buzzer... A low brow/douche move by Adams results in a great moment for Felix!

Great video. Total douche move. Glad Felix blocked it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah people were ripping on him on the UCLA boards too. No idea what got into him but I agree a cheap move.

Bozo

Reaction score
I saw this live and thought it was pretty sweet. think Felix is going to the nba?

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
I saw this live and thought it was pretty sweet. think Felix is going to the nba?

Maybe. He'll definitely get signed somewhere. The problem is athletic wings are pretty easy to come by in the NBA and he doesn't really have anything that makes him standout. His shooting is average.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Here's the Draft Express site's breakdown of Felix:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Trending-Prospects-Carrick-Felix-4070

Looking forward, Felix is an intriguing prospect due to his physical tools and groundwork of two-way skills, but he's definitely a late bloomer who still is rough around the edges in most areas despite turning 22 before his senior season. Still, he's shown a very steep learning curve in the past three years and that, combined with his high motor and athletic abilities make him a player a team could be willing to invest development in.

Even if no team decides to spend a draft pick on him, scouts will certainly want to keep an eye on him down the road to see if he continues developing his skills once he's out of college.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Can't believe I read an ASU fan who said Felix was as good as Harden and that this year's team would beat the Harden/Pendergraph/Glasser/Abbott/Kuksiks team 6 out of 10 times.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Can't believe I read an ASU fan who said Felix was as good as Harden and that this year's team would beat the Harden/Pendergraph/Glasser/Abbott/Kuksiks team 6 out of 10 times.
The kool-aid is flowing strong in Tempe right now. That Harden team would destroy this current ASU team.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The kool-aid is flowing strong in Tempe right now. That Harden team would destroy this current ASU team.

gotta agree..

Next year if everyone continues to improve there MAY be an argument, but this years team, not really one..

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
We started slow tonight but Jahii really turned it on in the 2nd half. Completely took over the game and Felix just never stops hustling. Those 2 guys just willed us to a win. WSU isn't a good team so losing to them would have been a big blow to any tournament chances we have.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Herb has gotta get Carson some help in between now and next year. Kid's a 1st round pick in 2014. Sick talent.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love Jahii more than most.. but his NBA prospects are shaky at best.. if he left after his sophomore year it would be a huge mistake unless he drastically improved his jump shot..

There are 3 players currently in the NBA who are 5'11 or under:

Isaiah Thomas
John Lucus
Nate Robinson

Thomas and Robinson came out after their junior seasons, Lucus stayed all four years..

I think Carson stays at least two more seasons, and if he doesn't improve on his 27% three point shooting he may even stay all four years..

I think he is a terrific college PG, I am not sure how successful he can really be at the next level..

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
According the Draft Express the Freshman list according to pro potential, Carson is ranked as the 37th best freshman currently, and not in the top 100 overall...

Obviously in college I think he is somewhere in the 10 range... but pro potential is a different beast all together...

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We started slow tonight but Jahii really turned it on in the 2nd half. Completely took over the game and Felix just never stops hustling. Those 2 guys just willed us to a win. WSU isn't a good team so losing to them would have been a big blow to any tournament chances we have.

100% agree...

Had to get this win.. Washington would be huge, but it's not necessarily a "must" win

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I love Jahii more than most.. but his NBA prospects are shaky at best.. if he left after his sophomore year it would be a huge mistake unless he drastically improved his jump shot..

There are 3 players currently in the NBA who are 5'11 or under:

Isaiah Thomas
John Lucus
Nate Robinson

Thomas and Robinson came out after their junior seasons, Lucus stayed all four years..

I think Carson stays at least two more seasons, and if he doesn't improve on his 27% three point shooting he may even stay all four years..

I think he is a terrific college PG, I am not sure how successful he can really be at the next level..

He definitely needs to work on his shooting, but other than that, he's NBA ready right now. He may be small, but he's strong, I look at him like a Brandon Jennings type player...a little shorter, but stronger.

I can't remember another college kid who can finish like him around the rim, bad angles or not.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
According the Draft Express the Freshman list according to pro potential, Carson is ranked as the 37th best freshman currently, and not in the top 100 overall...

Obviously in college I think he is somewhere in the 10 range... but pro potential is a different beast all together...

Not updated I don't believe. Trust me, scouts are all over the kid.

I think one of the biggest factors other than his talent in going pro is his age. He's already 20.5 years old which probably makes him the oldest non-Mormon freshman player in the country due to sitting out last year. And when guys of similar height like Phil Pressey are being projected in the top 40 I doubt the kid stays around and becomes a 23-24 year old college player. He'll work on his shot and likely leave after next year (staying three years) and be in the boat same as NateRob, Damon Stoudamire, Isaiah Thomas, Phil Pressey, etc.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave