ASU Basketball (2012-13)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Bachynski isn't good if he's playing against someone with comparable size.

Maybe so, but there ain't a ton of 7'2 guys out there. His skills are light years better than last year, and it's not crazy to think he won't keep improving, as he didn't play for a couple years while on his mission.

You guys will still end up in the NIT. The rest of the roster will get exposed over the course of the season. It's like a Harden team in which its extremely top heavy although the big contributors aren't quite on Harden or Pendergraph's level.

Probably, but college is pretty watered down these days. If Carson can improve his shooting, and the rest of the team buys in and continues to play hard, they should at least make it interesting, which is a huge upgrade over the last couple years. Bummer that Lockett left, with him, they'd have a much better shot at the tourney.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if we are definitely headed for the NIT...

I went through the games and I think a realistic ending record is somewhere between 22-9 and 23-8... I have to think that gets the Devils in the big dance even if it is a lower seed right?

I ask that with no sarcasm, just an honest question..

FWIW, Jerry Palm at CBS has the Devils in his bracket right now as an 11 seed.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's just funny because while your top 3 are most likely better, we have more balanced scoring than UofA by a slim margin.
Well that's statistically false. Arizona's top 3 scores 65% of their points, ASU's over 70%. I was actually more referring to minutes played too than top 3. ASU 6-12 pretty much don't play whereas UA plays eight sometimes nine players which theoretically will give us better legs in a couple months.

FWIW, Jerry Palm at CBS has the Devils in his bracket right now as an 11 seed.
If they win tomorrow or in Tucson, Westwood, or Boulder and win 10-11 other P12 games they are in. But very few teams get at-large berths with zero quality wins away from home. Your OOC schedule is going to loom large at the end of the day without some road wins.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they win tomorrow or in Tucson, Westwood, or Boulder and win 10-11 other P12 games they are in. But very few teams get at-large berths with zero quality wins away from home. Your OOC schedule is going to loom large at the end of the day without some road wins.

Yeah, winning at Texas Tech was their best OOC win, IIRC, and that is not very impressive.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Well that's statistically false. Arizona's top 3 scores 65% of their points, ASU's over 70%. I was actually more referring to minutes played too than top 3. ASU 6-12 pretty much don't play whereas UA plays eight sometimes nine players which theoretically will give us better legs in a couple months.

its actually 53 for UA and 58 for ASU, ASU has almost 5 players that average double figures scoring (Gilling is at 9.9 and Gordon is at 9.4)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More people talking in this thread than actually go to the games. Curious if that changes soon.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
More people talking in this thread than actually go to the games. Curious if that changes soon.

Depends on the cost..would love to go to ASU/U of A, but with tickets more than $50, I'll enjoy it on my couch. They need to be a little more realistic in terms of their pricing, would be much better to fill it up.

Just embarrassing with a student population of 60k+ and alumni all over the valley that we can't even get a decent crowd.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Depends on the cost..would love to go to ASU/U of A, but with tickets more than $50, I'll enjoy it on my couch. They need to be a little more realistic in terms of their pricing, would be much better to fill it up.

There are cheap tickets. Single game tickets are $10 in some sections. The UofA game is already sold out so that's a different story entirely.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just embarrassing with a student population of 60k+ and alumni all over the valley that we can't even get a decent crowd.

Two things often brought up in this conversation, but also pointless. Actually on-campus population average is about 5,000, but I'm told it's moved closer to 10,000 in recent years. Most of the alumni in this Valley never attended an ASU sporting event while they were in school. They have no emotional ties to the sports teams.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Two things often brought up in this conversation, but also pointless. Actually on-campus population average is about 5,000, but I'm told it's moved closer to 10,000 in recent years. Most of the alumni in this Valley never attended an ASU sporting event while they were in school. They have no emotional ties to the sports teams.

As much as it needs to improve, student attendance is better than when I was there. It doesn't look like it because they've doubled the number of sections for the students downstairs since then so they are more spread out. I was there during the terrible Rob Evans years and we'd barely fill the first few rows of one section for some games.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great battle by the Devils. In it until the end. Lose it on the road in Oregon 68-65.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and our bench combined for 3pts, 3rebs and 1ast. That's not going to cut it. We need some more productive minutes from those guys.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Crazy how much Felix improved over the offseason. I think he has a legitimate chance of getting drafted in April.

Agreed, now we can finally see why Duke was interested. I think he could end up being a steal for some team in the 2nd round.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Colvin suspended for today's game. Violation of team rules. We might have to play the starters all 40 minutes today. ZERO depth.

On the plus side, we won't have to see his awful FT shooting.

HooverDam

Reaction score
The refs seem to think the out of bounds lines are bout 6 inches further in than they actually are today. They've called 2 ASU players out of bounds (Felix and Bach) when they clearly weren't.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The UofA chants at Wells Fargo Arena warms my heart.. Every year..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson