ASU Baseball 2022

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Willie Bloomquist is optimistic pitcher Boyd Vander Kooi will be available opening day or soon thereafter.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU baseball team is off to a 3-6 start losing a three game weekend series to BYU and two games to Oklahoma State as of today.

All the games were at home.

Two wins were over Dixie State and the other over Nevada.

I guess coach Willie Bloomquist has this under control.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am a season ticket holder and have been to every game thus far.

Several things are apparent:

Starting pitching is good overall. Not great but good. Those guys, by and large, have done their jobs.

Bullpen is atrocious and every loss except one is directly attributed to the bullpen. Mind boggling how often they issue walks

This team is terrible hitting with runners in scoring position.

The talent level is such that they are rotating catchers to play LF. Is there such a lack of talent on the roster the team cannot produce an actual OF to play out there? I think there have been a couple plays a true OF could have made.

This team is a mess

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In other words, all three major sports are disappointments at ASU.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Of the three, I think Bobby Hurley is on the right track if he can keep the players he has and add to them.

Unlike some of his teams in the past, this team plays defense.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, evidence certainly supports that.

Of all things, the most confounding is baseball. Not understanding how far this team has dropped. I am expecting a busy outgoing transfer portal for this program. That will result is a fair number coming in via the portal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, evidence certainly supports that.

Of all things, the most confounding is baseball. Not understanding how far this team has dropped. I am expecting a busy outgoing transfer portal for this program. That will result is a fair number coming in via the portal.

ASU used to be an elite baseball program winning 5 national championships. At one time I attended almost every home game.

I can't understand how this program has fallen into such disarray. This is the former home of players like Reggie Jackson and Barry Bonds.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly, I could care less about Bonds or Jackson being one time Devils as it relates to current situation. I think in the most basic terms, like other ASU sports, baseball has allowed mediocrity to set in and they have lost the ability to recruit enough distance making players.

Until this program recruits top line pitching, they will continue to be an afterthought nationally and even in the PAC. More offense would be nice but pitching is killing this current team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU has lost the first two conference baseball games at Oregon State. The first loss was 21-0 and the second 12-2.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are simply far more quality baseball programs now (and for a while) compared to when ASU was winning championships. I mean, USC hasn’t won in almost 25 years either. But ASU was still consistently good, just sort of snakebitten while other programs rose and fell. That’s what has changed. I’m glad Bloomquist understands that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's sad to see the gradual decline of the ASU baseball program. It's not something new but by no means should they have a losing record.

ASU baseball is 12-16 this season.

Actually it looks like all three major sports programs are in trouble at Arizona State: football, basketball and baseball.

IMO, it starts at the top of the athletic department or higher and flows down.

Here are some previous coaching records of ASU baseball coaches:

Total5 coaches642654–1146–4.698
TenureCoachSeasonsRecordPct.
1959–1971Bobby Winkles13524–173–1.751
1972–1994Jim Brock241,099–441–1.713
1995–2009Pat Murphy15629–284–1.689
2010–2014Tim Esmay5201–94–1.681
2015–2021Tracy Smith7201–155.565
2022–presentWillie Bloomquist10–0

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Went to the game today. First time seeing them at Muni, so it's been a while

Went with my son, a friend and his son

Everyone had a lot of fun and it's a nice option to have.

The game itself was odd. Cal was hitting the SP hard and was putting up runs in the odd # innings.

ASU was struggling to get much going, but would find a run in even innings.

Eventually found themselves down 9-2 with little reason to think the offense would get going

Both teams went to the pen and the game changed.

Cal didn't score again.

ASU closed it to 9-7 and then put up 9 in the 8th for the final margin of 16-9

There were 2 balks in the game - one led to an ASU run early. The other was the ASU pitcher stumbling off the mound during delivery.

There were 4 close plays at first with ASU on defense and all 4 went safe

Home ump had a zone all over the place. ASU has a player tossed after a strikeout with a questionable strike 2 call. Didn't look like much directly towards the ump, but most have hit the magic works.

His replacement in the lineup hit a big triple.

In the 8th, the ASU 1B took what looked like a clear ball 4 and started down the line only to get called back with a called strike - ended up with a double on that AB

The Cal bench was active and loud all game - ASU really didn't get the emotions going until the rally started

One thing that stood out was looking at the players and banners in the OF - this program hasn't even made it to the CWS in over a decade

That is crazy to me. My buddy and I were both like "has it really been that long"

They've had some players, but the program depth just hasn't been there.

It seems like they should be able to at least luck themselves in once a decade

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Went to the game today. First time seeing them at Muni, so it's been a while

Went with my son, a friend and his son

Everyone had a lot of fun and it's a nice option to have.

The game itself was odd. Cal was hitting the SP hard and was putting up runs in the odd # innings.

ASU was struggling to get much going, but would find a run in even innings.

Eventually found themselves down 9-2 with little reason to think the offense would get going

Both teams went to the pen and the game changed.

Cal didn't score again.

ASU closed it to 9-7 and then put up 9 in the 8th for the final margin of 16-9

There were 2 balks in the game - one led to an ASU run early. The other was the ASU pitcher stumbling off the mound during delivery.

There were 4 close plays at first with ASU on defense and all 4 went safe

Home ump had a zone all over the place. ASU has a player tossed after a strikeout with a questionable strike 2 call. Didn't look like much directly towards the ump, but most have hit the magic works.

His replacement in the lineup hit a big triple.

In the 8th, the ASU 1B took what looked like a clear ball 4 and started down the line only to get called back with a called strike - ended up with a double on that AB

The Cal bench was active and loud all game - ASU really didn't get the emotions going until the rally started

One thing that stood out was looking at the players and banners in the OF - this program hasn't even made it to the CWS in over a decade

That is crazy to me. My buddy and I were both like "has it really been that long"

They've had some players, but the program depth just hasn't been there.

It seems like they should be able to at least luck themselves in once a decade
That 8th inning was crazy.

SP - Tulloch. Something is up with him. Early in the year he was money but the last several starts, he is getting crushed. I wonder if he is tipping pitches

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stanford sweeps ASU in conference series. Sun Devils drop to 14-19.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU gets it's first conference sweep in wins over Southern Cal. Their overall record is 18-19.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU enters the inaugural PAC-12 Tournament on a four game losing streak. They play Stanford on May 25th.

By Noah Furtado May 21, 6:46 PM 247 Sports:

ASU's 25 wins in the regular season are the third-fewest in program history among 50-plus game seasons, just a couple of victories ahead of consecutive 23-win campaigns under former head coach Tracy Smith in 2017 and 2018.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stanford is #4 in the country and swept ASU earlier this year. Doesn’t bode well

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU plays an elimination game on Thursday against Oregon after losing to Stanford in Pac-12 Tournament.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Devils has so many opportunities with RISP and couldn’t get the clutch hit