ASU at Utah

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, another big game on the Horizon Saturday.

Sounds like a lot of guys for ASU are banged up.

But this is a huge opportunity for the Sun Devils and I like the match ups. If we can shut down Booker like we did Perkins, we are going to be in a good situation.

I see ASU winning another close, lower than usual scoring game.

ASU 23
Utah 17

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Utah leads the nation in turnover margin.

They have allowed only 2 sacks all year and only 2 rushing TDs.

Utah also has forced 12 interceptions as a team.

ASU is going to win.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Utah leads the nation in turnover margin.

They have allowed only 2 sacks all year and only 2 rushing TDs.

Utah also has forced 12 interceptions as a team.

ASU is going to win.

OK, give me a score FA.

What is amazing to me is that they got like 5 or 6 interceptions against Cal? And they still one by a score. I mean I respect their power, size and toughness and all that, but I just don't see them as that explosive offensively. If you can control Booker, you can control the game.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
OK, give me a score FA.

What is amazing to me is that they got like 5 or 6 interceptions against Cal? And they still one by a score. I mean I respect their power, size and toughness and all that, but I just don't see them as that explosive offensively. If you can control Booker, you can control the game.

You're selling Wilson short... which would be a huge mistake. He's completing 67% of his passes this year. And while Booker has been the main story thru the first 5 games, Wilson is also proving to be very effective with his mobility, averaging more than 60 yards on the ground per game.
Booker is off to a monster year, on pace for more than 1,700 yards this season! "Controlling" him, while also containing Wilson will be a HUGE task for ASU.

Obviously, this is by far the toughest test the Devils have faced this season. It would be a remarkable victory if they are able to pull off the surprise win, however, I don't see it happening @ Utah...

I'll go with: Utes - 38, Devils - 24. I think this is the game where our defensive front 7 gets massively exposed and mauled... :sad:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
So after all these threads I'm convinced Absolute Zero would probably predict ASU to beat the Patriots and 82 would predict ASU to lose to the GCU intramural team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after all these threads I'm convinced Absolute Zero would probably predict ASU to beat the Patriots and 82 would predict ASU to lose to the GCU intramural team.

Sounds right to me. :)

However, I never predict wins (or losses). I just hunker down and support my team.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

:lol:

Ya, I guess we are kind of like the odd couple that way.

Utah is no "Patriots" though.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're selling Wilson short... which would be a huge mistake. He's completing 67% of his passes this year. And while Booker has been the main story thru the first 5 games, Wilson is also proving to be very effective with his mobility, averaging more than 60 yards on the ground per game.
Booker is off to a monster year, on pace for more than 1,700 yards this season! "Controlling" him, while also containing Wilson will be a HUGE task for ASU.

Obviously, this is by far the toughest test the Devils have faced this season. It would be a remarkable victory if they are able to pull off the surprise win, however, I don't see it happening @ Utah...

I'll go with: Utes - 38, Devils - 24. I think this is the game where our defensive front 7 gets massively exposed and mauled... :sad:

I think Wilson is all right, but other than Booker, he just doesn't have the explosive weapons like other teams we have faced. His stats aren't exactly mind blowing, only 5 TD's, 3 Int's, so the really rely on the running game, which is our strength on D. Here's Wilson's stats:

SEASON 2015
CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
67 101 683 66.3 6.76 54 5 3 2 133.5

Looks like their Oline is doing a great job protecting him though.

And other than those weird triple option teams, ASU has been pretty solid against the run. Held USC, UCLA and Colorado to under 100 yards rushing. So I think we can hold our own up front.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think Wilson is all right, but other than Booker, he just doesn't have the explosive weapons like other teams we have faced. His stats aren't exactly mind blowing, only 5 TD's, 3 Int's, so the really rely on the running game, which is our strength on D. Here's Wilson's stats:

SEASON2015
CMPATTYDSCMP%YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
6710168366.3 6.76 54 5 3 2 133.5

And other than those weird triple option teams, ASU has been pretty solid against the run. Held USC, UCLA and Colorado to under 100 yards rushing. So I think we can hold our own up front.

I think the ability for Utah to control the line is at a level we haven't yet seen. I am not sold on our defensive front 7. Cherry is a nice player, as is Fiso. But that's it. I think against the run, Calhoun is an empty suit. And Mokeaola is the same. And Simone can't tackle...
As always, hope I'm wrong!!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

SEASON 2015
CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
67 101 683 66.3 6.76 54 5 3 2 133.5

Maybe those weird triple option teams helped the Sun Devils improve their run defense.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plain and simple, if ASU plays like they did against UCLA (even though they are getting crushed by Stanford right now), ASU pulls off the upset and leads the PAC South. I think they turned the corner after that USC loss. Hope the Devils can pull it off

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the ability for Utah to control the line is at a level we haven't yet seen. I am not sold on our defensive front 7. Cherry is a nice player, as is Fiso. But that's it. I think against the run, Calhoun is an empty suit. And Mokeaola is the same. And Simone can't tackle...
As always, hope I'm wrong!!

Wow man, those are some pretty harsh statements about our d players.

I know Simone has blown some plays, he's often put in difficult positions due to the blitz schemes. But he is actually leading the team in tackles. http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewContent.dbml?CONTENT_ID=1427271&DB_OEM_ID=30300#TEAM.DEF
That's kinda hard to do if he "can't tackle", right? He's also one of the hardest hitters on the team. Not too shabby for a walk on.

Calhoun has been playing with a broken hand this year. I think that has limited his effectiveness, but he has still made plays.

And I have no idea where you are coming from on Mokeola. There's another guy playing hurt, but with big heart, making lots of plays. An "empty suit", really?

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Wow man, those are some pretty harsh statements about our d players.

I know Simone has blown some plays, he's often put in difficult positions due to the blitz schemes. But he is actually leading the team in tackles. http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewContent.dbml?CONTENT_ID=1427271&DB_OEM_ID=30300#TEAM.DEF
That's kinda hard to do if he "can't tackle", right? He's also one of the hardest hitters on the team. Not too shabby for a walk on.

Calhoun has been playing with a broken hand this year. I think that has limited his effectiveness, but he has still made plays.

And I have no idea where you are coming from on Mokeola. There's another guy playing hurt, but with big heart, making lots of plays. An "empty suit", really?

I like Mokeaola. I just don't think he's effective against the run. Graham has pimped Simone (for reasons I don't understand) and has made him, along with Berc, the face of the team. That's unfair to Simone because he's just not good. He's slow. He's small. And he can't tackle...
Anyway, as we said, this is truly the biggest test this defense has yet to face. Should be interesting to see how they match up across the point of attack. Will Utah maul them? Or, will the Devils rise to the challenge?

Go Devils!!

GiantCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I lived in Utah for 17 years until I moved here and still follow the team. Personally, I don't think they're a top 20 team. I hate Wilson as a QB, he's got no touch or accuracy. They don't seem to have the dominant pass rusher they had the past few years. Would not be surprised at all to see ASU win.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Utah has taken care of Michigan and Cal at home and is riding a ton of momentum. ASU is riding momentum as well, but this being in SLC works against them. Take ASU +6.5, but Utah to win the game.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I guess it won't come on until lsu is done?

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk