Oct. 29 – at Colorado
Nov. 5 – UCLA
Nov. 12 – at Washington State
Nov. 19 – Oregon State
Nov. 25 – at Arizona (Friday)

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Prep for the 2022 season starts this week at Spring practices which is underway.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ring-practice-newcomers-questions/7051933001/

Lots of new faces and competition.

Will be interesting to see if anyone emerges in the quarterback battle, and nice to see eliminating the penalties and turnovers are on their radar
“It’s only the first day obviously and you have to just see who can manage the offense,” he added. “One key is to not turn the ball over. … For the quarterback, it’s who can run the offense? How do you move the offense? It’s going to be fun to watch. We have some guys with some talent and we’ll just let it play out, see where it’s at.”

Edwards said Arizona State’s Achillies heel last year was turnovers and “non-competitive fouls,” which are penalties called when the ball isn’t in play — meaning false starts, offsides, encroachment, etc.

:grabs:

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Outside opening weekend, no Thursday or Friday games. Just as I was starting to prefer them.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
New DC Donnie Henderson answers questions after Spring practice. Good guy that is trying to ensure continuity in the system for the players. Sounds like we have a solid group of returning players on D though I'm a bit concerned about the undersized corners.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Also, big contrast in style with AP who was passionate, fired up, and animated. Henderson is more reserved and calm and sounds like he wants the players to be as well

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The D Line is supposed to be our strength next year. If you haven't heard Coach Rodriguez before, check out his recent remarks. He is one fired up dude that believes in what they are doing with that group

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I expect an abject disaster
Define that…and you won’t be held to it since things have to flesh out the rest of spring and summer. What are your thoughts as of today?

Personally, I feel like I can find 5 wins that should be pretty set and can possibly find another 1, maybe 2 although things need to be finalized in some areas.

I do think they can miss a bowl this year which will be disappointing to say the least. I would be shocked if they somehow get to 8 wins

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know, some of these portal transfers to ASU look like pretty solid players. There is very positive atmosphere in Spring practice from what I can tell on the youtube videos. The coaching has been upgraded and the players are getting after it.

The big unknown is how the QB situation is going to play out. Haven't really heard much on that coming out of Spring practice. I guess they are keeping it close to the vest. We probably won't hear anything definite until Tontozona.

The D will be tough, but our corners are pretty undersized as I recall. That can be a big disadvantage.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Define that…and you won’t be held to it since things have to flesh out the rest of spring and summer. What are your thoughts as of today?

Personally, I feel like I can find 5 wins that should be pretty set and can possibly find another 1, maybe 2 although things need to be finalized in some areas.

I do think they can miss a bowl this year which will be disappointing to say the least. I would be shocked if they somehow get to 8 wins
I think their offense is going to be dismal. I don’t know where the skill position talent exists other than ngata. And uncertainty at QB rarely ends up a pleasant surprise for ASU. And I think the defense will be in disarray with new coaching and losing some talent.

I also think everyone knows herm era is just waiting to be put outta its misery.

I think they win 4 games. One will be an unexpected win and one will be a god awful unexpected loss. And they’ll get absolutely throttled by the good teams they play.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Letsss goooo devils hopin for a solid season and bit better bowl gm.....

See how much longer herm asu hc lol

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Offense is struggling per the reports last week from Spring practice. Lots of time to put in the new offense and sort out the QB situation, but the sooner the better.

Good read this morning on some of the portal transfers to ASU, and how some were impacted by the coaching staff and the chance to improve their chances for the NFL draft.

The more I read about d-line Coach Rodriguez, the more I like:

"My first conversation with coach Rod we automatically went straight to film, watched film for probably two or three hours," Silvera said, after the Sun Devils wrapped up the 12th of 15 spring practices on Monday. "He told me a lot of the things I do well and he kind of explained to me where deficiencies were in my game and what he could help me with which was a lot different than what other coaches told me. They were more about what you can do to help us and he was more about what he can help me with to improve my game." ...
"He said he felt he was missing something," Rodriguez said of the film session with his new prospect. "He said `I could feel that these things were happening but nobody told me why.' We were the first ones to tell him why. That’s the nature of how we coach here. I don’t say anything to demean people but also, I don’t want to falsely get my guys all pumped up if they’re doing something wrong because on Saturday ain’t nobody there to tell them a lie. It’s going to be all truths because the guy lining up in front of you is going to tell you the truth and he’s going to expose your weaknesses."

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know, #9 Tyson just looks like the starting QB from this brief clip.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another player to earn a scholarship.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another player to earn a scholarship.

This guy looks like a LOAD. Our D and O lines look like they have some big dudes.

I watched the highlights of the "Spring Showcase" on Youtube. Lots of nice passes from several of the QB's. Wish I had better insights into the situation, hard to tell what's going on. Some info. here. https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...otball-spring-drills-quarterbacks/9533427002/ Bourget and Tyson got the first sets of reps, so that may be a sign of something. Bourget has some nice zip on the ball, but looks a lot smaller physically. Tyson looks a lot more durable, but its hard to compare performances at this point. But Collins and Meredith were the ones with the nice long passes at the Spring Showcase.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This guy looks like a LOAD. Our D and O lines look like they have some big dudes.

I watched the highlights of the "Spring Showcase" on Youtube. Lots of nice passes from several of the QB's. Wish I had better insights into the situation, hard to tell what's going on. Some info. here. https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...otball-spring-drills-quarterbacks/9533427002/ Bourget and Tyson got the first sets of reps, so that may be a sign of something. Bourget has some nice zip on the ball, but looks a lot smaller physically. Tyson looks a lot more durable, but its hard to compare performances at this point. But Collins and Meredith were the ones with the nice long passes at the Spring Showcase.
The race is really between Bourget and Tyson. I suspect It is probably Bourget’s job to lose

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The race is really between Bourget and Tyson. I suspect It is probably Bourget’s job to lose

Bourget certainly has the advantage of being here before, he's got a nice arm and is pretty mobile. Great local story too. But I personally would like to see the 6'5" 228 QB win out over the 5'11" 180 one. :) We shall see. Bourget is a bit taller than Kyler Murray, so there's that. I'll be on pins and needles until the starter is announced. They could even bring in another transfer QB I hear, sheese.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bourget certainly has the advantage of being here before, he's got a nice arm and is pretty mobile. Great local story too. But I personally would like to see the 6'5" 228 QB win out over the 5'11" 180 one. :) We shall see. Bourget is a bit taller than Kyler Murray, so there's that. I'll be on pins and needles until the starter is announced. They could even bring in another transfer QB I hear, sheese.
If they have to bring in another transfer at QB for the upcoming season, they will be dead in the water