ASU 2022 Football - preview

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score

The criticism for Herm Edwards and the state of the ASU football program continues to come in with an ESPN college football writer becoming the latest to slam the Arizona State coach and his team.

ESPN's Pete Thamel blasted Edwards and the Sun Devils in a story on the college football coaching carousel on Wednesday.

The ASU coach was listed among four coaches on the proverbial "hot seat" in the sport and Thamel did not go easy on the state of Arizona State's program.

"ASU has a bad roster, underwhelming staff and the Pac-12’s worst recruiting class in 2023," he wrote. "All that, and a milquetoast 25-18 record under Edwards. ASU passed on starting over when the scope of the potential allegations against Edwards became apparent. Instead, they’ve emboldened the aggrieved staffers who claim they got pushed out for not cheating, who have been overloading NCAA investigators with evidence of the violations under Edwards’ watch."

"This is the biggest dumpster fire in college football," the preview quoted one coach as saying about ASU. "It is absolutely mind blowing that Herm (Edwards) is still employed, at least in the mind of the college coaching community. Everyone knows it's a ticking time bomb, but no one knows if it's going off in a month or a year from now.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Fan? Casually. I have an MA from ASU and tangentially follow the team, but they're not where my main fandom lies.

Is ASU in good shape right now? It sure does look like "dumpster fire" is appropriate at this juncture.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure are a lot of trolls around here lately. @ozzfloyd are you an ASU fan?
I am a big ASU fan and I agree with the writer. Keeping Herm was a major mistake IMO. The recruiting class was an embarrassment, and I don't care how many transfers on the bench at other programs come here, the program is set back for years.

I look at the team and I see 2 wins, or less, as a real possibility. We could lose to NAU.

No I am not a troll. Obviously, i want to have a very pleasant surprise this season. But I think last year was Herm's shot for at least the PAC 12 championship. When that was in their grasp, they played their worst. The roster is less talented and loaded with mercenaries. I am glad you are optimistic but I am not.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fan? Casually. I have an MA from ASU and tangentially follow the team, but they're not where my main fandom lies.

Is ASU in good shape right now? It sure does look like "dumpster fire" is appropriate at this juncture.
Arent you a U of A fan?

That is a very ill informed regurgitated commentary that perhaps applies to the investigation and some administrative stuff, but not really to the players and the team itself. It will take them some time to gel, but let's see what the team does on the field.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am a big ASU fan and I agree with the writer. Keeping Herm was a major mistake IMO. The recruiting class was an embarrassment, and I don't care how many transfers on the bench at other programs come here, the program is set back for years.

I look at the team and I see 2 wins, or less, as a real possibility. We could lose to NAU.

No I am not a troll. Obviously, i want to have a very pleasant surprise this season. But I think last year was Herm's shot for at least the PAC 12 championship. When that was in their grasp, they played their worst. The roster is less talented and loaded with mercenaries. I am glad you are optimistic but I am not.
I guess you are a fan troll. It's easy to keep repeating the same tripe. No one seems to want discuss the players, but I think saying they will only win 2 games is off the mark.

These players are not a dumpster fire, garbage, POS, or whatever the other "fans" on this site keep calling them on this "fan" website. Let's ignore the positives, the many talented players and positive developments. Got it.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's up to the ASU administration to take care of business. Fans have no control over the situation.

The last I heard, the NCAA hasn't even interviewed all the coaches.

As fans and alumni, we should be sticking with the team and players during these unsettled times.

In regard to the players, linebacker Merlin Robertson is a legitimate NFL prospect.

I think we can agree, Xazavian Valladay and Daniyel Ngata and are very talented running backs.

Also, Emory Jones is a solid NCAA quarterback.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess you are a fan troll. It's easy to keep repeating the same tripe. No one seems to want discuss the players, but I think saying they will only win 2 games is off the mark.

These players are not a dumpster fire, garbage, POS, or whatever the other "fans" on this site keep calling them on this "fan" website. Let's ignore the positives, the many talented players and positive developments. Got it.
It's my opinion and I am not a troll. Of course there are positive tweets from the program and the people associated with it. What else are they going to say? They have to find possible bright spots.

You are not a better fan than me or any other ASU fan who doesn't feel good about our chances.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's up to the ASU administration to take care of business. Fans have no control over the situation.

The last I heard, the NCAA hasn't even interviewed all the coaches.

As fans and alumni, we should be sticking with the team and players during these unsettled times.

In regard to the players, linebacker Merlin Robertson is a legitimate NFL prospect.

I think we can agree, Xazavian Valladay and Daniyel Ngata and are very talented running backs.

Also, Emory Jones is a solid NCAA quarterback.
We now have a 6' 8" tight end that apparently is catching everything in training camp. Should be fun to watch.

The D-line should also be a strong group. Lots of talent and an excellent coach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes. Messiah Swinson is a 6-foot-8, 255 pounds tight end. Just lob it to him!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team needs to spend more than one day at Camp Tontozona.

They will be there only Saturday, from what I understand.

I know it's rained a lot, but this is a time honored tradition. Fans used to flock there to watch the team scrimmage.

Wasn't there a Mount Kush the team used to climb?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's my opinion and I am not a troll. Of course there are positive tweets from the program and the people associated with it. What else are they going to say? They have to find possible bright spots.

You are not a better fan than me or any other ASU fan who doesn't feel good about our chances.
No problem, I ain't lookin for a fan competition. But if people come in here and never say anything positive about the team, and just keep repeating the same negative things, I am not quite sure what to call that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team needs to spend more than one day at Camp Tontozona.

They will be there only Saturday, from what I understand.

I know it's rained a lot, but this is a time honored tradition. Fans used to flock there to watch the team scrimmage.

Wasn't there a Mount Kush the team used to climb?

I guess ASU hasn't spent a week at Camp Tontozona since 2019.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem, I ain't lookin for a fan competition. But if people come in here and never say anything positive about the team, and just keep repeating the same negative things, I am not quite sure what to call that.
I thought we would win the PAC 12 South last year. I am wrong a lot of the times. Maybe I will be wrong again.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Lol, know what’s easy? To call fans trolls because they’re not sunshine and rainbows blowing out their backside while the program disintegrates before their eyes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Knowledgeable?

When fans make negative comments when the team is bad and the coaching staff has been breaking rules left and right that’s called being observatory.

Calling out the good when they exhibit positive traits (good play, interesting play design, great recruiting class) is called observatory.

Calling out fans because they state what they see is called . . . lame.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Knowledgeable?

When fans make negative comments when the team is bad and the coaching staff has been breaking rules left and right that’s called being observatory.

Calling out the good when they exhibit positive traits (good play, interesting play design, great recruiting class) is called observatory.

Calling out fans because they state what they see is called . . . lame.
You say the team is bad even though they haven't played a game yet. What specific observations about the players' performance do you base that assessment?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You say the team is bad even though they haven't played a game yet. What specific observations about the players' performance do you base that assessment?
Based on whatever is left from last year’s poor performance other than ngata and one dlinemen (can’t recall name), and the fact that the rest are either unproven or retread failures from other programs.

The truth is the vast majority of collegiate players fail. It is a select few that become starters. Even smaller set still that become good collegiate starters. And both those numbers are small for lower tier programs like the devils. And even smaller still when a lower tier program like the devils have poor recruiting classes. So when you’re relying on a bunch of unknowns from unheralded recruiting classes the weight of likelihood is that they will fail rather than they’ll be good. Your expectation is the highly unlikely exception from the logical norm.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on whatever is left from last year’s poor performance other than ngata and one dlinemen (can’t recall name), and the fact that the rest are either unproven or retread failures from other programs.

The truth is the vast majority of collegiate players fail. It is a select few that become starters. Even smaller set still that become good collegiate starters. And both those numbers are small for lower tier programs like the devils. And even smaller still when a lower tier program like the devils have poor recruiting classes. So when you’re relying on a bunch of unknowns from unheralded recruiting classes the weight of likelihood is that they will fail rather than they’ll be good. Your expectation is the highly unlikely exception from the logical norm.
I would also add you have to account for WHY these transfers came here. They want playing time and stats. There is no chemistry with the other guys on the team coming in. That has to be developed and it is far from a slam dunk these guys are bleeding maroon and gold already and will sacrifice for the good of the team if it comes down to it.

I know it's a new era with these transfers and all programs have to face this issue. But nobody in country has the situation Edwards has to deal with. And worst of all, he is a lame duck. Players tune out coaches in that situation real quick. Even more than the unknown talent, this is why i have a bleak outlook at the moment.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Starting with last year, yes the team fell short and made a lot of mistakes. The 2nd half of the Utah game was horrendous. But they still finished 6-3 in conference, 8-4 before losing a bowl game to a tough opponent. Calling that season a "poor performance" is not exactly accurate. Especially since they had the best defense in the Pac-12 scoring wise and weren't too shabby in other categories, #13 nationally in one as I recall. Looking at the depth chart, we have about 7-8ish players back from that defense that saw good playing time on rotations last year. That includes Merlin Robertson who is on the Butkus award watch list.

Do you really think that the Soelle brothers, Merlin, Norman-Lott, Matus, Ben Scott to name a few are "unproven" or "retreads"? What didn't you like about their games last year, specifically to be calling them unproven or retreads? Have you seen anything in the training camp clips to indicate that they have actually digressed from last year?

And on the transfers, why specifically do you apply the same label to transfers Emory Jones, Nesta, X Valladay, Ro Torrence, Edmonds and Martinez?

As I suspected, you really haven't made any new observations, zero specifics about Spring ball, training camp, player development, etc. and are making negative generalizations to fit your ongoing narrative. You just come in here to raise the same old complaints you have already made. What do you call that? To pick an argument with a fan who believes the team will win more than two games? Nice.

I am sorry that it apparently offends you, but I think it is ok for fans to discuss positive things about the ASU football team and its players. I understand that there is another forum on ASFN where you can do the bidding for the Wildcats.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU will name a starting quarterback this week.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devils lose DE Michael Matus for the season, but they look to have depth there.