ASU 2022 Football - preview

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If they have to bring in another transfer at QB for the upcoming season, they will be dead in the water
This. That screams desperation (which I already believe to the be the case with this dead team walking).

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This. That screams desperation (which I already believe to the be the case with this dead team walking).

Dead team walking? Are you referring to the pending investigation? That is a negative for sure. But your comment is otherwise the exact opposite of the vibe one gets watching these guys through the Spring, it is an extremely positive team atmosphere.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Dead team walking? Are you referring to the pending investigation? That is a negative for sure. But your comment is otherwise the exact opposite of the vibe one gets watching these guys through the Spring, it is an extremely positive team atmosphere.
That is ALWAYS the vibe of any spring practice at any college. These are kids. They don’t typically feel the gravity around a program until it’s right on them. I’m referring to a team that doesn’t have much talent, had big turnover on the coaching staff, has a head coach who is slathered in lack of control, had their leader jump ship, is under investigation, and whose athletic department seems totally clueless. I’ll repeat my prediction that this team likely finishes with 4 wins. I’ll be Pleasantly shocked if they have a winning season.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is ALWAYS the vibe of any spring practice at any college. These are kids. They don’t typically feel the gravity around a program until it’s right on them. I’m referring to a team that doesn’t have much talent, had big turnover on the coaching staff, has a head coach who is slathered in lack of control, had their leader jump ship, is under investigation, and whose athletic department seems totally clueless. I’ll repeat my prediction that this team likely finishes with 4 wins. I’ll be Pleasantly shocked if they have a winning season.

I think your comments are way over the top. As is the "Dead team walking" comment. JD5 was very talented, but him and his mom were also a big distraction last year. He was not the only "leader", many others remain. I wish him well at LSU, but last year he was definitely distracted himself and his performance went downhill. Would be great if he turns things around at LSU. Yes the investigation is a booger, but I would expect it to be a learning experience all around.

I think there may very well be a drop off on the record from last year. But the team does have lots of talent and may surprise some people. The D-Line is loaded, Merlin Robertson is returning and the rest of the linebacking group looks solid. Gentry is very talented and has shown a lot of promise. We'll see what he can do with another year under his belt Obviously, some big losses in the secondary but there are some good players returning and it looks like the transfer Bethley will provide a boost, so we'll have to see how that plays out.

On offense, Ngata and the transfer Valladay are both explosive and should be fun to watch, though it sucks we lost Trayanum. Valladay may be another Rashaad White type with the way he can catch the ball out of the backfield. I think the WR group has a lot to prove, but there is some talent there and Badger has been turning heads this Spring. He is extremely gifted and he could have a break out year. Our TE's look promising, Swinson is 6'7" so that should be fun. Big question mark is the QB position, but the fact that we will have a first year starter is not unusual and doesn't mean there will be a lack of talent there.

Coaching is an area where things have actually been upgraded in my view. Don't forget, we went most of the year last year shorthanded on coaches and that is no longer the case. I expect that the offense will be more conservative, QB under center most of the time, emphasis on the run, lots 2 of TE sets, and play action passes. Will definitely be an adjustment for the offense, less flashy for sure, but I think we may see less mistakes, less turnovers, and less penalties than last year. AP was great in a lot of respects, but he came with a big downside as we learned. DC Donnie Henderson is extremely knowledgable and I really like his approach in keeping the same terminology and such the same from last year. D Line coach Rodriguez is excellent, and we have added a good DB coach. Having Marvin Lewis and Brian Billick "coach the coaches" is an advantage that most teams do not have.

National Champions? Probably not. But "dead team walking", that's just absurd.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Absurd? Do you really need a breakdown of all the talent ASU has lost in the last couple years? Do you need the stats about our most recent recruiting classes? Anyone connected to the program has made it very clear that Herm has zero chance of being here in the long term, and anyone who could leave, has left.

Absurd? Absurd is trying to glean warm feelies from a situation that is a train wreck in slow motion. (see what I did there?)

The only absurdity is that Herm and Ray still have jobs. They've taken our team and driven it into the ground. We're only beginning to see how long it'll take to dig out. I can't ever remember a bleaker point for ASU football in the last 20 years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the football program, I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I will take any win they can get.

After the NCAA investigation is resolved including the coaching issue, one of the most important things ASU needs to fix is being able to compete under the NIL laws (Name, Image Likeness).

They are losing athletes in all sports to other schools right and left because they can't compete in terms of compensation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think your comments are way over the top. As is the "Dead team walking" comment. JD5 was very talented, but him and his mom were also a big distraction last year. He was not the only "leader", many others remain. I wish him well at LSU, but last year he was definitely distracted himself and his performance went downhill. Would be great if he turns things around at LSU. Yes the investigation is a booger, but I would expect it to be a learning experience all around.

I think there may very well be a drop off on the record from last year. But the team does have lots of talent and may surprise some people. The D-Line is loaded, Merlin Robertson is returning and the rest of the linebacking group looks solid. Gentry is very talented and has shown a lot of promise. We'll see what he can do with another year under his belt Obviously, some big losses in the secondary but there are some good players returning and it looks like the transfer Bethley will provide a boost, so we'll have to see how that plays out.

On offense, Ngata and the transfer Valladay are both explosive and should be fun to watch, though it sucks we lost Trayanum. Valladay may be another Rashaad White type with the way he can catch the ball out of the backfield. I think the WR group has a lot to prove, but there is some talent there and Badger has been turning heads this Spring. He is extremely gifted and he could have a break out year. Our TE's look promising, Swinson is 6'7" so that should be fun. Big question mark is the QB position, but the fact that we will have a first year starter is not unusual and doesn't mean there will be a lack of talent there.

Coaching is an area where things have actually been upgraded in my view. Don't forget, we went most of the year last year shorthanded on coaches and that is no longer the case. I expect that the offense will be more conservative, QB under center most of the time, emphasis on the run, lots 2 of TE sets, and play action passes. Will definitely be an adjustment for the offense, less flashy for sure, but I think we may see less mistakes, less turnovers, and less penalties than last year. AP was great in a lot of respects, but he came with a big downside as we learned. DC Donnie Henderson is extremely knowledgable and I really like his approach in keeping the same terminology and such the same from last year. D Line coach Rodriguez is excellent, and we have added a good DB coach. Having Marvin Lewis and Brian Billick "coach the coaches" is an advantage that most teams do not have.

You’re entitled to think my perspective is absurd. I think your perspective is ridiculous and naive.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absurd? Do you really need a breakdown of all the talent ASU has lost in the last couple years? Do you need the stats about our most recent recruiting classes? Anyone connected to the program has made it very clear that Herm has zero chance of being here in the long term, and anyone who could leave, has left.

Absurd? Absurd is trying to glean warm feelies from a situation that is a train wreck in slow motion. (see what I did there?)

The only absurdity is that Herm and Ray still have jobs. They've taken our team and driven it into the ground. We're only beginning to see how long it'll take to dig out. I can't ever remember a bleaker point for ASU football in the last 20 years.
Are you aware of the number of players we have returning from last year? have you evaluated our D Line? Are you aware of the new thing called the "transfer portal" and the new players that have transferred in? Funny how those people haven't left. There are still players and coaches and a program. Amazing! I guess they aren't listening to all the sources that you apparently have. I think guys like Badger, Merlin, LaDarius, Gentry and others could have easily transferred if they wanted to. in other words, you are spouting some serious overly negative B.S.

So are we supposed to have our feelings hurt and act like a bunch of crybaby fans because of clear mistakes with the program and the investigation? Should we pout until the administration makes changes that would make us happy? Sorry, I am not going to do that. Everyone including myself has already ripped up the staff and the program for its recent sins. Been there, done that. But at this point, I am going to enjoy the games and the players, and yes even the coaches. Been doing that since Kush was here. There have been lots of ups and downs along the way, and there are more on the way for sure.

We have a lot of great players and yes even positives in the program. I think its pretty stupid to ignore that because it interferes with the same old bitching and moaning themes. But if that's what you all enjoy, go for it. Maybe you'll earn an honorary degree from U of A in the process.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re entitled to think my perspective is absurd. I think your perspective is ridiculous and naive.

Have you actually studied the roster, watched any film on the new and returning players? Its kind of funny how you just spout negative general comments. You have absolutely nothing to say about the actual players. So be careful who you call naive.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Are you aware of the number of players we have returning from last year?
Yep! Most of the good ones are leaving. :(
have you evaluated our D Line?
Evaluated them? I mean, I'm aware of the cast of characters. I'm not sure what you mean in terms of evaluation. We have a couple decent prospects, and they should be the strength of a bad team.
Are you aware of the new thing called the "transfer portal" and the new players that have transferred in?
Do you honestly want to evaluate whether or not the transfer portal has been more of a good thing than bad thing for ASU football?
Funny how those people haven't left.
Sometimes, there isn't anywhere to go. :)
There are still players and coaches and a program.
Super! They've had that down in Tucson. Hopefully your aim is more than what's going on right now at ASU.
. I think guys like Badger, Merlin, LaDarius, Gentry and others could have easily transferred if they wanted to.
Badger? He's done nothing. Merlin? He has a kid. Who cares if a couple guys stick around when you lose your starting QB/RB/WR, amongst many others, with no obvious replacements in sight?
in other words, you are spouting some serious overly negative B.S.
The truth can hurt. You're choosing to live in a world of delusion, where the ASU football program isn't in the process of circling the drain.
So are we supposed to have our feelings hurt and act like a bunch of crybaby fans because of clear mistakes with the program and the investigation?
lol
Should we pout until the administration makes changes that would make us happy?
Nah, let's just pretend we're not in the middle of an investigation for major violations with a lame duck coach and no QB.

All good here!

We have a lot of great players
Who? Who left on the roster is a great player by college football standards? Gentry can BECOME a great player, but to assert we have a lot of great players is just absurd.
and yes even positives in the program.
Like what? It'll be years before ASU is competing again in the Pac-12. What are your positives at this point? I'd love some things to feel better about!
I think its pretty stupid to ignore that because it interferes with the same old bitching and moaning themes.
What are the same old bitching and moaning themes? You paint a rosy picture, people disagree with you, and
But if that's what you all enjoy, go for it. Maybe you'll earn an honorary degree from U of A in the process.
Man, you would have been perfect in the "Same Old Cards" teams. I'll support my university in any way I want, and I rarely feel like acting like everything is ok when things are legitimately falling apart.

Like the cheap shot about the U of A degree tho, good shot!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Evaluated them? I mean, I'm aware of the cast of characters. I'm not sure what you mean in terms of evaluation. We have a couple decent prospects, and they should be the strength of a bad team.

Do you honestly want to evaluate whether or not the transfer portal has been more of a good thing than bad thing for ASU football?

Super! They've had that down in Tucson. Hopefully your aim is more than what's going on right now at ASU.

Badger? He's done nothing. Merlin? He has a kid. Who cares if a couple guys stick around when you lose your starting QB/RB/WR, amongst many others, with no obvious replacements in sight?

The truth can hurt. You're choosing to live in a world of delusion, where the ASU football program isn't in the process of circling the drain.

lol

Nah, let's just pretend we're not in the middle of an investigation for major violations with a lame duck coach and no QB.

All good here!

Who? Who left on the roster is a great player by college football standards? Gentry can BECOME a great player, but to assert we have a lot of great players is just absurd.

Like what? It'll be years before ASU is competing again in the Pac-12. What are your positives at this point? I'd love some things to feel better about!

What are the same old bitching and moaning themes? You paint a rosy picture, people disagree with you, and

Man, you would have been perfect in the "Same Old Cards" teams. I'll support my university in any way I want, and I rarely feel like acting like everything is ok when things are legitimately falling apart.

Pretty much all this, but I’ll add that I think ngata looks like stud.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

lol

All good here!

There is so much wrong about your post, I would need to take a day off work to address all of it. You have slanted everything in a negative direction (Merlin is a problem because he has a kid, Badger no talent, seriously?) We only have "a couple guys" sticking around? No obvious replacements? Lost starting WR? No QB? :confused:

If you bothered to read my posts before talking crap at me, you'd know that I have been critical of the program and have mixed in concerns and pointed out positives. If anything short of robotically agreeing with the nonsense that this is a "dead team walking" is delusional, then you should probably remove the "ASU" from your user name. That's kind of a joke at this point. ASU fans should be allowed to point out positives about their team and stick up for the players, especially on a "fan" message board without being chastised by those like you who feverishly argue that they are not good and don't have any talent.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
... no QB.
So when you say we have "no QB", what exactly do you mean?

Here is one of our QB's who doesn't seem too shabby and would probably be an upgrade over Daniels' passing performance last year that was good enough for 8 wins. Am I being delusional by pointing out that Tyson is actually on our roster and has shown some promise?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
So when you say we have "no QB", what exactly do you mean?

Here is one of our QB's who doesn't seem too shabby and would probably be an upgrade over Daniels' passing performance last year that was good enough for 8 wins. Am I being delusional by pointing out that Tyson is actually on our roster and has shown some promise?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Literally yes. You pimping Tyson as a potential upgrade over Daniels tells me all I need to know about your level of knowledge (and whether to engage you on actual football matters) moving forward. Go Devils!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
ASU fans should be allowed to point out positives about their team and stick up for the players, especially on a "fan" message board without being chastised by those like you who feverishly argue that they are not good and don't have any talent.
You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want someone to inject positivity into my veins. Plenty of time to be negative later.

I'm with Absolute Zero.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want someone to inject positivity into my veins. Plenty of time to be negative later.

I'm with Absolute Zero.

Devils will surprise everyone and make the playoff.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ouchie could very well proven to be correct. In a year that should have been them taking the next step, we have seen some upheaval. That is not good and there is no denying that the athletic department is in shambles when it comes to the major sports.

I am not caring much about Daniels departure. He was regressing.

Right now I remain hopeful but acknowledge this thing could go off the rails very easily

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Literally yes. You pimping Tyson as a potential upgrade over Daniels tells me all I need to know about your level of knowledge (and whether to engage you on actual football matters) moving forward. Go Devils!
"Not too shabby" is pimping? Commenting on a POTENTIAL upgrade over Daniels passing performance last year is not unrealistic. I didn't mention his running ability, which is better than anyone we have.

But I think most would agree that JD was off the mark last year. He threw as many Int's as TDs and his rating dropped. Most on this board were complaining about how he digressed. So it's not far fetched to suggest that one of the new guys may preform better as a passer.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm with Absolute Zero.

Great point. Should the NCAA hit us hard, there will be plenty of time to grieve. Perhaps the self imposed sanctions will blunt that, who knows.
In the meantime, I am going to keep looking for positives to discuss.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great point. Should the NCAA hit us hard, there will be plenty of time to grieve. Perhaps the self imposed sanctions will blunt that, who knows.
In the meantime, I am going to keep looking for positives to discuss.

Yeah, we know something is coming from the NCAA. It's good to enjoy the moment.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
"Not too shabby" is pimping? Commenting on a POTENTIAL upgrade over Daniels passing performance last year is not unrealistic. I didn't mention his running ability, which is better than anyone we have.

But I think most would agree that JD was off the mark last year. He threw as many Int's as TDs and his rating dropped. Most on this board were complaining about how he digressed. So it's not far fetched to suggest that one of the new guys may preform better as a passer.
You’re right, he stunk last year. But typically a pupu platter of QBs without a clear guy is a bad sign. And that’s what the devils have right now. Could one come outta nowhere? Sure. But that’s usually the exception to the rule.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re right, he stunk last year. But typically a pupu platter of QBs without a clear guy is a bad sign. And that’s what the devils have right now. Could one come outta nowhere? Sure. But that’s usually the exception to the rule.

A pupu platter? Really. Please share with me your analysis of each of the players in our QB room and how you reached that level of 3rd grade commentary. Include your breakdown of the Spring practice footage and other information that you have reviewed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A pupu platter? Really. Please share with me your analysis of each of the players in our QB room and how you reached that level of 3rd grade commentary. Include your breakdown of the Spring practice footage and other information that you have reviewed.
Lol. You keep being “positive” and trashing anyone that doesn’t agree with you. Putting you on ignore as I don’t need your attacks when I come to discuss the devils. Have a nice life, try to lighten up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson