Asteroid City

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks weird but who knows it might be in a good way.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Asteroid City

Release date: June 23, 2023
Studio: Focus Features
Director: Wes Anderson
MPAA Rating: PG-13 on appeal for brief graphic nudity, smoking and some suggestive material
Screenwriters: Wes Anderson, Roman Coppola
Genre: Comedy | Drama | Romance

Starring: Jason Schwartzman. Scarlett Johansson, Tom Hanks, Jeffrey Wright, Tilda Swinton, Bryan Cranston, Edward Norton, Adrien Brody, Liev Schreiber, Hope Davis, Steve Park, Rupert Friend, Maya Hawke, Steve Carell, Matt Dillon, Hong Chau, Willem Dafoe, Margot Robbie, Tony Revolori, Jake Ryan, Jeff Goldblum

Plot Summary: The itinerary of a Junior Stargazer convention is spectacularly disrupted by world-changing events.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what I just watched tonight. Felt more like an exercise in catharsis then a movie.

I really liked The Grand Budapest Hotel so I know what to expect from Wes. There were a couple funny moments, some good acting but overall it just didn’t come together at all for me. Was disappointed.

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Not a chance I'll watch this.

By all accounts i should like Wes Anderson movies, I see previews, hear buzz, go in with expectations to enjoy it and then just don't - not even a little bit

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw this tonight. Loved it of course. Huge Wes Anderson fan so I'm predisposed to I guess. This was better than his last one though, as always great color and sets, full of wit and clever lines, props etc, lots of fun.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved Anderson’s first three movies tk death. As strong as any director has ever come out of the gate with a solid first foray with Bottle Rocket followed up by two masterpieces in Rushmore
And Tannebaums, but every movie he made that followed slid down the scales at a rapid rate for me.

That said, I had zero expectations for French Dispatch and ended up pleasantly surprised and have been thinking of catching a matinee of this. But probably will wait till it streams somewhere.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Finally got to watch this over the weekend. Not what I was expecting at all. I didn't know about the meta aspect of it at all going in since I normally avoid trailers and reviews on a movie like this. It's typical Wes though. If you like him you'll probably like it, if you don't like him than you probably won't.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Finally got to watch this over the weekend. Not what I was expecting at all. I didn't know about the meta aspect of it at all going in since I normally avoid trailers and reviews on a movie like this. It's typical Wes though. If you like him you'll probably like it, if you don't like him than you probably won't.
What if you love half his oeuvre and hate the other half?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turned it off after fifteen minutes. He’s extremely hit or miss for me at this point.

Could have never imagined that after adoring and being blown away by his first three movies.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm betting it'll be on the tougher side to watch if that's the case. The way the movie is structured is a little odd and I can see it not working for people.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We haven't watched it yet, but I did win a digital copy in a contest, so we can watch it whenever we want.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I love most of his stuff, but this one was just a little over the top weird. DIdn't get through 20 minutes, although I will probably give it another shot.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love most of his stuff, but this one was just a little over the top weird. DIdn't get through 20 minutes, although I will probably give it another shot.
Trust me… don’t bother. I gave it another shot and turned it off even faster the second time.

The movie played like a parody of a parody of a Wes Anderson movie to me.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Trust me… don’t bother. I gave it another shot and turned it off even faster the second time.

The movie played like a parody of a parody of a Wes Anderson movie to me.
I can see that due to the play aspect of it. I would have liked it more if that was cut and it was only Asteroid City.