Assistant coaches

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only time I've heard of him in the last decade was when he was on George Karl's staff during Karl's short-lived stay in Hell (AKA Sacramento). I always liked him as a player for whatever that's worth.

He was one of my favorite college players ever and a solid junkyard dog off the bench, especially for the 2004 pistons squad that knocked the snot out of the “Dream Team” Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton nightmare.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I always think of him as "Never Nervous Corliss," echoing Pervis Ellison.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently Woodson was Larry Brown's lead defensive coach with the Pistons team that won the title back in 2004 and he's been with the Clippers for the last 4 years. Tried finding info on any other coaches that may have been hired but no one other than Woodson and Williamson have been mentioned. Found this article about Woodson though that goes into his background quite a bit and actually makes me like the move that much more.

I believe Igor will be handling the offense while Woodson will handle the defense, at least that's the idea I get after this move. Kokoskov's offensive knowledge seems to be something brought up by most other coaches and players that have commented on his hiring which is what leads me to think he'll be the offensive guy and he'll have Woodson help build a defense.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/...ant-on-igor-kokoskovs-staff-nba-breaking-news

Another thing I found interesting is that Igor was an assistant in Cleveland the year before Lebron returned. He coached Anthony Bennett there who the Suns acquired last offseason. Maybe he gets another look with Kokoskov? Don't expect him to be a difference maker on the court but if he shows anything that would be interesting. As of now he's the biggest draft bust in NBA history but maybe the light turns on for him one day? His motor seems to be the biggest knock on him. It was said he never had to work hard to dominate in High School and at UNLV and once he got to the pros he couldn't rely on his natural athleticism to carry him and he never took the time to learn how to play properly. Doubt anything happens with him, just something I thought was a little interesting.

Here's a link to Kokoskov's history as an Assistant. Shows where he's been since the 2000-2001 season.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/kokosig01c.html

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Loved watching those Pistons teams play defense. All 5 guys wanted it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So apparently the Woodson hiring is still not official. I wonder if Gambo jumped the gun.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was curious if Kokoskov would keep Ty Corbin on his staff since they were both in Utah somewhat recently but their paths didn't cross there. Kokoskov was an assistant here in Phoenix while Corbin was the head coach in Utah. Corbin was the top assistant to Triano. He was an assistant from 2004-2010 in Utah under Jerry Sloan and then took over as Head Coach when Sloan was let go in 2010. Corbin stayed on as their head coach until 2014 and then he spent 2 years as an assistant in Sacramento before coming to the Suns as Watson's assistant in the 2016-17 season. He stayed after Watson's firing and was Triano's top assistant last season. If anyone was retained I thought it would be him but since he wasn't in Utah at the same time as Kokoskov I don't think he'll be brought back.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm just guessing but perhaps they reached an agreement that he'd join the staff once all the currently available Head Coach positions were filled?
Yeah. He is keeping his options open in case a head coaching (or Philly GM) job opens up.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah. He is keeping his options open in case a head coaching (or Philly GM) job opens up.

Gambo & Ash throwing rumors that if PHI GM job opens up, it might go to David Griffin in attempt to lure LeBron to PHI. Even if the brought in Griffin, LeBron to PHI would be a long shot IMO.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Gambo & Ash throwing rumors that if PHI GM job opens up, it might go to David Griffin in attempt to lure LeBron to PHI. Even if the brought in Griffin, LeBron to PHi would be a long shot IMO.

Ash hasn’t done radio in 5 years. Griffin to Philly would certainly make you think it improves their chances for Lebron. Maybe trade Simmons for Lillard or something to create a better fitting Big-3...

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ash hasn’t done radio in 5 years. Griffin to Philly would certainly make you think it improves their chances for Lebron. Maybe trade Simmons for Lillard or something to create a better fitting Big-3...

That would be like the Suns trading Booker for Lillard. No way Philly does that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is from Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.

Like Kokoskov, Prunty has an extensive history as an assistant coach in the NBA. He was with the San Antonio Spurs from 2002-05, the Dallas Mavericks from 2005-08 and the Portland Trail Blazers from 2008-10. From there, he was with the Cleveland Cavaliers from 2010-13, the Brooklyn Nets for one season in 2013-14 and then was with the Bucks from 2014 until Mike Budenholzer was named head coach on May 17.

He has won two NBA championships, both coaching for the Spurs in 2003 and 2005.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1544537/report-suns-joe-prunty-milwaukee-bucks-igor-kokoskov/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I like about Kokoskov, he is not afraid to hire talented assistants.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like this more than Woodson. I liked Woodson but having someone who is a little younger that is looking to make his own name could be a better thing to have in the long run. He did well with the Bucks recently.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave