Asking for Prayers

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by Bert, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

This is the best news I have heard in a long time. The Lord does answer prayers.

I had two family members who had open heart surgery and it can be intimidating.

Hope your Dad has a speedy recovery.

Bert likes this.
  2. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIMâ„¢ Contributor

Great news.

Bert likes this.
  3. Bert

Bert Forgive me in advance.

Quick update. My Dad is doing great guys! It's kindof incredible.

We actually went out for the first time tonight. Took him to a movie. It was a dumb movie but it was great to get him out,,,, so; at the same time it was kinda the best movie ever! lol (It was Pacific Rim 2)

Anyways, just wanted to update and say thank you all once again for you words of support through this. I am continually humbled and grateful for the support of those in my life be it personal or virtual. Thank you all so very much, I appreciate all of you.

I'll post pics soon.... One of the most silver of the linings is that he's lost so much weight it's awesome! He's gonna start physical therapy next week but he is still pretty strong, but has lost a TON of his belly fat. He's at a weight he hasn't been in 10 years, so if nothing else I mean it's not the way you wanna get a head start on weight loss, but at the same time he's playing the hand he's dealt and looking at it positively, so that's great to see. :)

Sorry to ramble I just wanted to let you all know how well he's doing. I showed him this thread and all the love from all of you and he said it was amazing that people on the internet that he doesn't know are praying for him and thinking about him. So in your own way, each of you touched his heart.

Thank you.

Bert, and Terry.

4. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Thanks for the update! I'm so happy to hear this terrific news. :clapping:

Keep it up, Dad, the World is better with you in it!

cardncubfan likes this.
  5. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

@Bert

Wonderful news. Don't party too much! :)

cardncubfan and Linderbee like this.
  6. Bert

Quick update:

The process is going really well. There are hard days where my Dad is just over it and wants to watch TV and eat pizza all day... lol Old habits die hard.

So I try to balance our routine with old familiar things. He obviously still cant golf or anything and we tried to play darts but that really made his chest hurt..

Mostly we walk which is nice because we do a lot of talking. I got him some of those rubber flexible tension cable things.... Bungee weights? Idk we hook them on the door and work out. He likes that because he can find motions that dont pull on his chest.

LoL he's totally obsessed that he's gonna pull apart those metal stitches holding his sternum together. "IT HAPPENS I'VE SEEN IT ON THE YOUTUBE SON!!!"

But I think his state of mind is good. He's all setup on Medicare B now. He was kinda weird about that. I think he feels bad like he's going on welfare or something. I reminded him; Oh Hell no Dad! This is NOT welfare! This is YOUR money that you've been paying in your entire working life, which has been like 55 years long....
    The fam at the BBQ place 7.18.jpg
    As for me, I just want to thank everyone here for your love and prayers and support. I have kindof an unusual relationship with spirituality,,, where; I dont always know what I believe. However; It never fails that in times of emotion whether they be happy like a wedding, or sad like a family member in crisis... I feel a comfort coming from a place I cant quite understand.

Anyways, enough about all my waxing on, the main point I want to make is that YOU GUYS ROCK! Thank you for supporting me and dealing with me and my crazy nonsense sometimes. Thank you for caring about me and my Dad. I love you guys and this board. I just want you to know that we both, along with the fam,,, appreciate all of you!

Bada0Bing, jf-08, Russ Smith and 7 others like this.
  7. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

I'm glad to hear everything is going good for you & your dad Bert. :thumbup:

Bert and Mainstreet like this.
  8. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Good to hear, Bert!

Bert likes this.
  9. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

So will he be able to golf and have a regular life again or is there things he won't be able to ever do again?

10. Bert

I'm hoping he'll be able to golf. I think it just takes a while for the sternum to heal back up then there is the psychological hurdle of trusting that your chest isn't going to burst open on the 3rd tee. lol.

But yeah, he's lost a ton of weight and we're trying to get him to do the knee replacement he's needed for years, now that his ticker is all fixed up. So ya know, one thing at a time. He's not too keen to start another long recovery process so maybe next year.