ARZ Offseason Thread

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stewart was on Burns & Gambo today. He said Z is the closer period.

Would love to see Hudson be the closer because he is legitimately the closer type. But if Zig can continue to get ground balls and people out, it's hard to change that

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would love to see Hudson be the closer because he is legitimately the closer type. But if Zig can continue to get ground balls and people out, it's hard to change that

Not trying to get smart but what type is that? Is there something in his pitch arsenal or because his injury history suits him better to pitch less innings?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Not trying to get smart but what type is that? Is there something in his pitch arsenal or because his injury history suits him better to pitch less innings?

I won't speak for iceman, however, I kinda feel the same way... Huddy's velocity and stuff is more typical of a closer as compared to Zeegs... That said, if Zeegs can continue to perform well as a closer, I don't care how he throws or what he throws!

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't speak for iceman, however, I kinda feel the same way... Huddy's velocity and stuff is more typical of a closer as compared to Zeegs... That said, if Zeegs can continue to perform well as a closer, I don't care how he throws or what he throws!

Exactly how I feel. Your typical closer is a guy that throws upper 90's and then has a 2nd pitch that is nasty (slider, split). Example Valverde when he was here

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Most good closers don't pitch to contact. They have the strikeout pitch to get out of jams. Z has some nasty stuff but isn't a guy you want in with a man in scoring position and less than 2 outs.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So how do the Dbacks look so far this off-season? They look like a contender?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how do the Dbacks look so far this off-season? They look like a contender?

Vegas has them at 84.5 wins, good for third place in the West. Giants are at 90 wins (most in MLB) and the Dodgers are at 87.5. Cubs are second in the NL at 89 and the Mets are third at 88 wins. St. Louis is at 87.5, while Pittsburg and Washington are at 87. So, I would say they are a fringe playoff team. If one of the back of the rotation guys steps up this year and becomes a real #2 or #3, we would make a real run.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...ver-under-2016-season-giants-cubs-mets-021216

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Vegas has them at 84.5 wins, good for third place in the West. Giants are at 90 wins (most in MLB) and the Dodgers are at 87.5. Cubs are second in the NL at 89 and the Mets are third at 88 wins. St. Louis is at 87.5, while Pittsburg and Washington are at 87. So, I would say they are a fringe playoff team. If one of the back of the rotation guys steps up this year and becomes a real #2 or #3, we would make a real run.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...ver-under-2016-season-giants-cubs-mets-021216

I would absolutely take the over on that and the under on SF.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can honestly say, this is the first time in awhile that I am really looking forward to the Dbacks season. Love the moves they made so far and finally have a legit starting rotation. Hopefully, Grienke/Miller combo can get the Dbacks around 30-35 wins

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I can honestly say, this is the first time in awhile that I am really looking forward to the Dbacks season. Love the moves they made so far and finally have a legit starting rotation. Hopefully, Grienke/Miller combo can get the Dbacks around 30-35 wins

Agree, I am stoked for the season to begin.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
FYI, all, D-backs Fan Appreciation Day will be at Chase Saturday the 20th free of charge.

I went a couple of years ago and it was fun. Unfortunately, I made other plans for this year before it was announced.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Vegas says the Dbacks 2016 win total will be 84... five more than last season. Man that just seems low to me, given all the moves they've made. Gotta believe that if their key players can stay healthy (big if I know...), that Greinke alone can add 5 wins to their total. Of course, playing in the west and having to face the Giants and Dodgers on a regular basis will certainly present major challenges...
I'd still say they should, given good health, be closer to 88/89 wins...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vegas says the Dbacks 2016 win total will be 84... five more than last season. Man that just seems low to me, given all the moves they've made. Gotta believe that if their key players can stay healthy (big if I know...), that Greinke alone can add 5 wins to their total. Of course, playing in the west and having to face the Giants and Dodgers on a regular basis will certainly present major challenges...

Mid March I will do another season win prediction thread :)

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed. If they can stay consistently healthy, I can see them winning at least 90 this year. They upgraded on so many levels and if pollock and goldy can have a year like last year, it's gonna be fun. Only piece I'm gonna miss seeing is Incearte (spelling is bad). I'm sure someone will step up and take over the lead off role and do just fine. Man, can't wait til opening day. Been a LONG time since I've been this excited about the Dbacks!

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My two keys:
1. Need to replicate the success the top half of the order had last year with Inciarte gone. Segura needs to channel his 2013 form as I think the plan is for him to bat lead off or at least that is what the front office thinks he's capable of.

2. Bull pen, closer position in particular need to lock down leads as with the offensive capability and improved rotation they should get more Hold & Save opportunities.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All fans tend to predict continued or improved production out of their team in the offseason and hardly ever predict regression and injuries.

We have a sliver of a margin to get to 90 wins. Everything has to come up Milhouse.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave