Article: Phoenix Mercury regaining elite defensive form

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Sandy Brondello coaching era started the way she imagined, with the Phoenix Mercury massively improving on defense and winning the 2014 WNBA title.

The defense eroded some in 2015, dipping from second in points allowed to fourth, then last season took a bigger fall to eighth, giving up 83.3 points per game.

But now the D is back with a retooled roster that leads the league in points allowed (67.2), opponent field-goal (37.0) and 3-point (19.2) percentage and is tied for third in forced turnovers (16.2).
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor.../?hootPostID=aa68f31cb72f15138722c6f527fc0319

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice! I need to watch a game. Don't think I have watched one in years.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Didnt Hakeem Olajuwon leave the team to play in Russia or something?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Nice! I need to watch a game. Don't think I have watched one in years.
I just arranged through StubHub to see the Mercury vs. the L.A. Sparks on Saturday the 10th at Talking Stick Arena. In addition to watching them play good basketball, a seat in the lower section, center court, row 18 goes for $33.99, a fraction of what I paid to see the Suns and the D-backs recently. And the Mercury X-factor (fans) are more into the game than either Suns or D-backs fans.

Diana Taurasi, Brittney Griner and a cast of role players (with solid defense as they had in the past). It is good basketball. Even without my personal favorite, DeWanna Bonner, who is taking a season off for maternity leave.

Go, Mighty Mercury! The WNBA rocks. I have been a Mercury fan since the days of GrandMaMa hopping onto the scorers table after a victory and leading the crowd singing and dancing. I know plenty of guys who would degrade women's pro basketball, but it is fun. Especially when BG at 6'8" slam dunks (infrequently) or blocks (frequently).

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been going to most of the games since last year (thanks to my BFF who is a season ticket holder)and honestly, despite the refs, it's great entertainment. If you are a fan of basketball, it's a fun, fun time.