Artest already regrets decision to stay with Kings

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Artest already regrets decision to stay with Kings
By SAM AMICK
THE SACRAMENTO BEE

last updated: July 03, 2008 05:35:35 AM

When Artest attended Game 6 of the NBA Finals in Boston, he instantly sparked speculation that he could be the missing piece alongside Kobe Bryant for a Los Angeles Lakers team that fell short in its title run.

But when the small forward and his agent, Mark Stevens, had a conference call with Sacramento Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie on Tuesday morning, one day after Artest decided to play the final season of his contract with the Kings for $7.4 million, the love was nowhere to be found.

Several sources close to the team said Artest entered with the hopes of discussing a lucrative, long-term extension -- but was told the Kings were not prepared to take part in such talks.

The message, quite clearly, is that he was not a part of their long-term plans. Artest was told to play out the season and be prepared to either be traded or revisit the issue next summer, when he would be an unrestricted free agent.

Not long after, Artest sent an e-mail to ESPN.com's Marc Stein expressing regret over his decision to stay.

"I think I made the biggest mistake by staying in my contract, and I have to live with it," Artest wrote. "I had some misleading information (in making the) decision on not opting out. ...

"I don't see myself with (the) Kings beyond 2008-09."

Just as the Kings did in February, they are expected to entertain trade offers for Artest and take advantage of his rising value.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
The Kings are looking at summer 2010 when they will have only $16 million in contracts per hoops hype though closer to $25 million in practice.) They have absolutely no interest in anthing longer than two years.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ron Artest's career numbers in 11 seasons:

16.0 points/g
5.1 rebounds/g
3.2 assists/g
2.3 turnovers/g
2.1 steals/g
0.6 blocks/g
.425 FG%
.720 FT%
0.002 fans punched in the stands/g
----------------------------------
Career high in points came against PHX(shocker) with 33 on 11/20/07

Yeah he's a strange one but he give's you production across the board..... not to mention defense & all out hustle & effort every night.
If he gets traded to either S.A. or L.A. forget it.